1. Join Now

AVForums.com uses cookies. By continuing to use this site, you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Learn More.

Marantz RC1400 - Problems with learning

Discussion in 'Home Cinema Control & Remote Controls' started by gdw35, Apr 30, 2005.

1. gdw35

gdw35

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +0
    I have just purchased a Marantz RC1400 URC and for the most part I am very happy with it, but I am having real problems with getting it to learn one particular remote control codes.

The TV, DVD and VCR were set up straight from the preset codes in the handbook without a problem and it works very well for these. It had no problem learning the codes from my Sony stereo and has no problem learning codes from other remotes I have tested. The one I am having real problems with is for my Digital Cable Box (Foxtel) which is manufactured by a Soth African company called UER Technologies Pty Ltd. The RC1400 appeared to be learning the codes for the remote OK when I first started it but then, after about a dozen buttons being learned, started getting an error for every button. Since then it has been unable to learn any codes from the UER remote. Other remotes are fine, just this one has errors every time.

Has anyone else had this problem? Is it something that can be solved. The main reason I got the RC1400 was to be able to have the cable control and the TV control combined. If I can't do this then I feel like I have wasted my money.

Help!

2. eviljohn2

eviljohn2

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +208
    I've not had any trouble with mine, but if the codes are incompatible then there isn't really anything you can do about it I'm afraid.

3. hornydragon

hornydragon

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Somewhere near the M4 most of the time......
    Ratings:
    +1,215
    PErhaps you would be better off with a Harmony H655 as this can use codes downloaded from internet database or learnt direct from OEM remote.

4. eviljohn2

eviljohn2

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +208
    I'm not sure mate, the RC1400 is a learning remote too so if the SA unit uses codes that are outside of the normal range then it might struggle too. :)

5. hornydragon

hornydragon

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Somewhere near the M4 most of the time......
    Ratings:
    +1,215
    the Harmony can actually do IRDA (but cant learn it) under intrigue (before logitech bought them out) you could send them the OEM remote and they would add the IRDA to their online database for you.....

EDIT having had quick look it seems that logitech have changed the state of this and now list B&O as unsupported I would ring CS and ask if your Cable box is supported before buying if possible.

they do list support for Telewest 1000T the PACE IRDA box....tho

6. gdw35

gdw35

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +0
    Problem solved, I went out and bought a Sony RM-VL1000T. It managed to learn the problem remote, plus all my others, without a prblem.

It's a pity, I much prefer the layout and feel of the Marantz control. The Sony is not very intuitive and the LCD is impossible to read in low light.

Warning to all readers in Oz planning on getting the Marantz RC1400. It will not work for the Foxtel Digital Cable Box. This was confirmed by other sources. If you don't plan to use it to control one of these then I would seriously recommend it. (Seems a bit if a contradiction)

7. scotia70

scotia70

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +0
    You can use the Foxtel Digital Cable with the Marantz RC1400 - You need to use the pre-programmed DSS code 0874. My Foxtel decoder is made by PACE which is supported by the Manufacturer number list. I tried all the options and 0874 was the only one that worked. (Actually it works very well).

What I don't understand is why the remote knows the codes to send - but cannot learn them.
    The remote knows my Denon AVR, but cannot learn those codes either.
    It also can't learn my Air Conditioner remote (not the end of the world).

Like the last user on the list, I love the design and look and feel - but I think I'll return it for one that can learn all of my remotes (why buy it otherwise - for AUD300!). The annoying thing is - my Denon AVR remote can learn everything I throw at it, but is a terrible design (it's the early one - with sliding switches to choose the function).

8. gdw35

gdw35

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +0
    Thanks for responding, but no good.....

The code (0874) does not exisit on the RC1400. If I try to enter it I get "Invalid Code". I tried all of the listed codes for the Pace decoders with no joy.

BTW, I ultimately gave up on the Sony RM-VL1000T. And are back to using the Marantz RC1400, with separate Foxtel remote. This is due to several reasons:
    - Sony remote not as intuitive as the Marantz.
    - No back light on the Sony
    - It was able to learn learn all the codes of the Foxtel remote, however when using it, it is as if the button is pressed twice each time you select something (i.e up or down 2 channels, volume up or down 2 steps, etc.). Very frustrating.

Quite happy now with the Marantz, which is happily driving my new Yamaha RX-657 receiver and DVD-S657B player, as well as the old TV and Digital set top box.

9. slashlib

slashlib

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +0
    see my reply to a different topic here.

cheers,
    /lib