Marantz PM8200 died. PM6002 a good replacement?

Discussion in 'Hi-Fi Stereo Systems & Separates' started by Robs Ears, Jan 9, 2012.

1. Robs Ears

Robs Ears

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +3
    Hi.

As per the title, my PM8200 made a nasty smell a few weeks ago and now all sources play through any source and the right channel is a bit low and muddy sounding. Annoying as it was at low volume at the time and has had an easy life with me.
    I originally bought it as I felt it sounded nicer than the well renowned (and over priced) PM7200, which it replaced in my second system, and the 8200 is a bit rarer and different which I also liked. Too rare it seems now that Ive tried to find another one over the last few weeks...

So, its looking like its a case of getting a different model to replace it.
    Can anyone advise me if perhaps the PM6002 would be a good bet? Or perhaps the PM6010 OSE/KI? Or even better, know of anyone with a healthy PM8200 thats for sale?

Any advice is much appreciated as I tried various Marantz amps before settling on the 8200 and I would like to minimise the process this time around.

:lease:

2. belloire

belloire

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +52
    i've never used a pm8200, but have a pm6010 ki in a second system.

i can't recommend it highly enough for the price i paid (£70). fantastic amp. plenty of power and sounds lovely. can listen all day. (i was using an SA7001KI too, but changed to cd6000 ose as it matched better aesthetically)

3. Robs Ears

Robs Ears

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +3
    Thanks for that, its reassuring to hear.

After a bit of reading, Im not convinced a PM6002 would be what I want, so either a 6010 OSE KI or a 7001 KI are my targets. If only I could find them available in black...