Marantz PM7000N - Strange Network Issues

Whiting

Established Member
Reaction score
I'm having a really odd experience with a Marantz PM7000N amp. Was wondering if anyone has experienced similar or any thoughts?

I bought the amp new last month. It worked as expected for around 10 days whereupon it stopped connecting to my home wifi network. A factory reset didn't solve the issue nor did connecting the amp through a LAN connection to my router - whatever I tried, the amp would simply hang as it tried to make a network connection (the odd part is the router did show the amp as connected through both wired and wireless connections).

I took it back to the dealership and they tested it out and had the same experience. Happily they replaced the unit there and then so problem solved...or so I thought.

Fast forward another 10 days or so, and the replacement amp is now exhibiting the same issues. Google doesn't reveal anyone who has had a similar issue (closest I get is a thread in the AV section on network issues related to firmware updates on Denon/Marantz AV amps). It seems odd that both units worked for awhile and then stopped. I don't believe it is related to any firmware update as the unit reports the f/ware as current and I did try to update both when setting up. It's so odd - I can't believe it's a coincidence but not sure what else it could be - faulty batch of products?

Anyway, another call to the dealer beckons :-(

Last edited:
When you say stopped connecting - what actually is happening? Is your router limited in the amount of IP addresses it can give out?

Daft question but have you got an alexa on your network? They broadcast storm and this knocked out my naim. Took me days of troubleshooting to get to the bottom of that!

Thanks for responding, rednotdead.

When you say stopped connecting - what actually is happening? Is your router limited in the amount of IP addresses it can give out?

So it's only happened twice (as I had the first unit replaced) but each time, I've opened the HEOS app (from an iPad) in order to stream something and it's not been able to find the amp on the network - amp is connected via wifi.

I then go to the amp itself and any attempt to access the network from the device itself (e.g. music server, internet radio) is met with a spinning 'thinking' icon before timing out. Same behaviour is seen when connecting the amp to my router via a LAN cable - it seems to get stuck in a network limbo. If I factory reset, the 2nd step (after setting language) is configuring a network connection and that fails (whether wired or wireless).

When it's in this state, I can see the amp has connected to my router (for both wired and wireless scenarios) - the device is present in the connected devices table. So I don't think there's an issue on the router side.

Daft question but have you got an alexa on your network? They broadcast storm and this knocked out my naim. Took me days of troubleshooting to get to the bottom of that!

I have a couple of Alexa devices - one dedicated and one as part of Sonos soundbar. They're not used much...especially as my wife is fond of unplugging the smartplugs we use to control devices.

Is there anything I can do to determine if that is causing an issue?

As an update, I did manage to get the amp back online. Not sure how. As I said, factory resetting didn't work but I did also try a 'reset network settings' so possibly it was as a result of that (although it didn't correct itself straightaway so could have been a coincidence - I would have thought the Factory settings reset would have done this anyway).

I spoke to the dealer and they provided some reassurance that they would exchange if it repeated the same behaviour in the coming weeks/months. We'll see.

Why oh why is some modern kit (the Alexa) so poorly designed!!! makes me see red

I have had similar problems and i have come to the conclusion it is a failed Internet module inside the amp. Tomorrow i am going to Richer Sounds to have it tested and i will report back

Other than these faults, are you happy with it? Does it sound good? What did you have previously?

The latest video from AVForums

Is Home Theater DEAD in 2024?
Subscribe to our YouTube channel
Back
Top Bottom