Marantz PM7000N IR Extender - who makes them?

tommy364

Novice Member
Hi all,

Following up from my previous post requesting advice on upgrading my Chromecast-Topping D50-Marantz PM7200-Kef Q350-Rel TZero setup (see New amp for Q350/Rel Kitchen setup? ), i went for a PM7000n, which has simplified the setup, and offered some improvements in sound to boot....not that i disliked the sound before!

The amp is still in a cabinet away from reach of the remote though, and although i can do most - if not all - tasks using the HEOS app, I'd still like to use the remote.

So, i need an IR extended/repeater....and although the manual says this is possible, neither it nor the Marantz website says anything about what or where to get such a thing from.

I did see this:

But at £265 i'm sure it's overkill for my needs, and far more than i'm willing to pay!

Any suggestions for reasonably priced solution appreciated - something small, passive, with a RCA jack to connect to the 'Remote In' port.

I've searched many a forum and search engine and found nothing, so apologies if this has been covered.

Thanks,

Tom

Jamie

Distinguished Member
I've got one of these

Amazon product
Originally I used the stick on emitters to control a Denon amp however I found a spare mono 3.5mm jack lead so tried replacing the emitters with a lead direct to the IR in jack and it works perfectly.

tommy364

Novice Member
Thanks Jamie, sounds perfect. So I'd need a mono minijack-phono lead and a USB power supply for it, and i'm away?

Jamie

Distinguished Member
The IR in ports on amps are normally 3.5mm jacks not RCA AFAIK.

If you've got a remote RCA connection I believe that could be used to power on a Marantz CD player or other Marantz component I don't believe those terminals take an IR signal.

The device I linked would work using the little emitters it includes if your amp doesn't have a specific IR in port.

Edit to add.

I had a quick look at the manual for your amp and it appears it may work but no guarantees.

The extender I linked would defenitely work using the emitter though,

tommy364

Novice Member
The manual says that you can do either:

"Performing operations by RC on this unit without visual contact

You can connect an external IR receiver to the REMOTE CONTROL connectors to perform operations on this unit with the supplied remote control unit without visual contact. This might be necessary if the unit is hidden in a cupboard or corner, so you can’t directly point with the remote control unit to the device."

There are separate instructions for connecting to other Marantz equipment.

Jamie

Distinguished Member
Yep that's the bit I read in the manual. I've only ever seen IR in as 3.5mm previously myself but it certainly sounds like it might work. The cables cheap enough to make it worth a punt and you've always got the stick on IR emitters as a backup if it doesn't.

Jamie

Distinguished Member
That would be appreciated, it's nice to know.

Is there any chance you'll maybe want any extra equipment in the same place with an IR remote?

If you do I'd suggest using the supplied emitters, there's 4 on a single lead so you could actually control 4 (or more) devices if necessary.

The receiver I've found to be pretty sensitive, even without necessarily being visible, mines stuck on the back of a wall mounted TV pointing down and still works perfectly so it's worth experimenting with its position before sticking it down.

tommy364

Novice Member
Evening,

So i finally got around to trying this out, and it works perfectly using one side of a stereo mini-jack to twin-RCA to connect the IR receiver/cable to the remote-in socket.

One day, many months away probably i may do as you suggest Jamie and try the emitters on the AV amp and DVD/CD units that live in the cupboard, but as i never play CD/DVDs, and the tv remote contols the AV volume anyway, it's rarely been an issue.

Cheers,

Tom

The latest video from AVForums

Podcast: Panasonic JZ2000 Final Thoughts - TV Calibration: Should you? And More...
Subscribe to our YouTube channel
Support AVForums with Patreon

Top Bottom