Marantz PM6006 Source Direct Issue

MrRoarke

Standard Member
I just purchased a Marantz PM6006 amplifier, and noticed that there is a very odd issue with the source direct button. I have a very simple setup. This being a Marantz CD6006 compact disc player, plugged into the PM6006 receiver via RCA cables into the CD port. I also have a turntable plugged into the Phono port. Now, I know when the source direct button is on, it's bypassing the circuitry and sound shaping that the amplifier has to offer, in which it disables tone controls and loudness. When I have the button on, it sounds fine. However, when I turn it off, the volume increases significantly, and it's all distorted and inaudible. Sort of like everything is going through an echo chamber. Even if I have volume all the way down, and then turn off source direct, the volume is boosted, as well as all the distortion and weird sounds. The same thing happens when I use the turntable. I even tried connecting the CD player to the amplifier via an optical cable to bypass the DAC, and it produces the same problem. Is there something wrong with the amplifier, or is there something I'm not doing correctly. Anyone else experience this?

muljao

Sounds like it's faulty. Source direct shouldn't do that, the effects really should be subtle between on and off depending of course where your tone knobs are ser

MrRoarke

Standard Member
Sounds like it's faulty. Source direct shouldn't do that, the effects really should be subtle between on and off depending of course where your tone knobs are ser
Thanks. It's what I figured as well. Just wanted to make sure since it's my first Marantz amplifier. I ended up returning the amp after contacting the retailer and showing him the symptoms over the phone. He said it's most likely a faulty processor.

muljao

Hopefully they get it sorted quickly. The marantz really is a nice amp

BlueWizard

Distinguished Member
Set TONE and LOUDNESS to their NEUTRAL setting, then switch between Regular and Pure Direct. Their might be a microscopic difference, but no more than that.

It is important that the Tone and Loudness are set to their Neutral no-boost and no-attenuation positions.

Let us know if that makes a difference.

You did not specifically make the claim that the amp was set to neutral, and we can't really make that assumption until you verify it. All the Controls, other than Volume, should be Straight UP.

Steve/bluewizard

MrRoarke

Standard Member
Set TONE and LOUDNESS to their NEUTRAL setting, then switch between Regular and Pure Direct. Their might be a microscopic difference, but no more than that.

It is important that the Tone and Loudness are set to their Neutral no-boost and no-attenuation positions.

Let us know if that makes a difference.

You did not specifically make the claim that the amp was set to neutral, and we can't really make that assumption until you verify it. All the Controls, other than Volume, should be Straight UP.

Steve/bluewizard
They were set to neutral. It was just bizarre. The tech confirmed there was an issue with the processor. I returned it for a refund for now. Maybe I’ll take a chance on another one in the future. I really did like the amp.

Last edited:

The latest video from AVForums

Samsung Micro LED, Mini LED, NEO QLED TVs and More: AVForums Podcast Interview
Subscribe to our YouTube channel
Support AVForums with Patreon

Top Bottom