Marantz PM6005 - underpowered for my purposes ?

Discussion in 'Hi-Fi Stereo Systems & Separates' started by swayzak, Feb 6, 2014.

1. swayzak

swayzak

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +3
    Hi

My CA A3i died last night & am looking for a quick replacement - prepared to spend a few bob, but probably not more than £400ish.

This Marantz looks good (I have an old PM66-SE for my AV setup - nice sound), and will allow first foray into digital hifi for me (I have Squeezebox Touch's, can o/p 24/192) - but 45W sounds potentially a little low powered.

It will be powering either Cerwin-Vega AT-60's or Eltax Symphony 8.2 speakers.

Any views ?

Thanks

2. Glen B

Glen B

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +11
    Cerwin Vega AT-60s appear to be a UK version of the AT-12. I once owned the AT-15s, as well as 380SEs and D-9s. C-Vs are very sensitive (98 - 102dB /1W/1M) and will play very loud with 45 watts. Sitting at an average distance from the speakers in a moderate sized room, you will be listening at peak levels of at least 109dB, which is uncomfortably loud.

Last edited: Feb 6, 2014
  3. MIFF INFIDELIUS

MIFF INFIDELIUS

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +24
    I can't really comment on the aforementioned speakers but 45W should be sufficient for most listeners in typical room. With that said however, I immensely enjoy good dynamics and separation and I believe power rating is one of the important factors to achieve it. I only have a yamaha a-s500 which is 85W p-CH and I can say that I've always felt I could easily use twice or even 3 times as much power. IMHO, its more about how much power headroom there is rather than what I intend to use, if that makes sense.

Maybe it's just something in my head but it always seemed to me little odd to hook up a 50W amp on 120W speakers. Sure it'd work but one would hardly get the best out of the speaker at higher than 9 o'clock volume.

As always, best would be to have a demo and listen for yourself

4. BlueWizard

BlueWizard
    Distinguished Member

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +4,209
    You don't need a 120w amp to drive 120w speakers. The speaker rating is something of a fail-safe limit on the speakers. If you sustain 120w you will probably damage the speakers. But even with a 250w amp, you would not likely sustain a 120w unless you were playing crazy loud.

A 45w/ch amp should be fine. I used a 45w/ch amp for many years with far larger than average speakers; no problem.

However, now I have a 100w/ch. More power is always a good thing, as long as you use it properly; as long as you don't abuse that power. Though I think once you reach around 250w/ch to perhaps 300w/ch, you are pretty much at the limit of practical power. Though they do make 500w/ch and 1000w/ch amps. That's a bit of overkill.

More power is not louder. That is a common mistaken assumption. More power is more dynamic. The higher the signals can reach without clipping. More control over the speakers, and so on.

But, and this is a big but, more and better power cost more money. We are all constrained by our budgets. No one would doubt the quality of Marantz amps, and the new PM6005 versions has the addition of a DAC, which is very handy in the modern world of electronics.

The Yamaha AS500 is highly rated, and has much more power, but it doesn't have a DAC. If you need to add a DAC to it, then that is an additional £150, making he current £199 price, not so much of a bargain.

So, it always gets down to you and your priorities. Only you can know precisely what you needs are. For example, if you don't need the DAC in the PM6005, then there are several other amps to consider for less money with more power. Or perhaps you need a different kind of DAC. The PM6005 does not have a USB-PC computer input, an external DAC will likely have the USB-PC. So, it is important to understand just what features you want, and which feature are better bought separately rather than built-in.

In general, this amp will probably be fine for you needs, based on an assumption of your needs. If there are specific feature you need or don't need. Or if you will be using this in an unusual way, that is, other than common home music listening, then the more you can communicate you specific needs the more we will be able to find products to fill those specific need.

In general, the PM6005 is a fine quality versatile amp that should serve you well for many years. But, its not the only choice available to you.

Steve/bluewizard

5. swayzak

swayzak

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +3
    Many thanks folks

Yes I had looked at the Yamaha and was swaying towards it as I probably don't really need digital playback and it has more grunt The Touch's sound great via analogue, and I don't have any 24/192 files anyway.

So a non-digital amp would suite me better. Would need at least 4 line ins and phono good but not essential. I have read that Yamaha is a little weak on the bass front but don't know how true this is..

6. MIFF INFIDELIUS

MIFF INFIDELIUS

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +24
    I find the a-s500 balanced, neutral and laid back sounding. I imagine the bass is not as forward? as some may like but I wouldn't describe it as lacking. With pure direct engaged, bass is noticeably better, ( tighter, more underlined ) but not significantly.

I think its easy to listen to the yamaha and I think due to it's laid back nature, it would be great choice for instrumental and classical listening, than say, hip hop.

This is how I'd describe my A-S500 but I am using a DAC and my room is rather acoustical horror so your experience may be different :)

7. BlueWizard

BlueWizard
    Distinguished Member

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +4,209
    Yamaha Amp with Wharfedale Diamond 9.6 speakers -

Santana: Yamaha RX797+Diamond 9.6+ Harmon...

Bearing in mind YouTube sound quality is generally bad regardless of how good the recording is.

For what it is worth.

Steve/bluewizard

8. illy406

illy406

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +10
    i use the as500 amp and use a small pioneer subwoofer with it but even without the sub its a crackin amp. plenty of power on tap and id say it definately isnt weak on the bass. my bass is set to were it is with pure direct on (middle) and theres plenty of it. i play wide range of music from modern R&B, pop to old 80s and 90s music and i cant fault non of it. plus the subwoofer out on this amp is great . add even the smallest of subs and it changes the sound experience dramatically.

9. swayzak

swayzak

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +3
    The subwoofer is probably superfluous to me as I use Cerwin Vega AT60's... not lacking in the bass dept. :)

10. illy406

illy406

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +10
    Yep I see what you mean. My main floorstanding speakers don't lack bass either. But most speakers cant come close to a dedicated subwoofer. So even with the cerwin vega you will notice a difference.

Last edited: Feb 15, 2014
  11. Chrisharry12345

Chrisharry12345

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +1,256

What did you go for in the end?

Struggling at the same position, Yamaha or the Marantz but worried 45w is a bit light