• New Patreon Tier and Early Access Content available. If you would like to support AVForums, we now have a new Patreon Tier which gives you access to selected news, reviews and articles before they are available to the public. Read more.

Marantz PM6005 Stereo vs Marantz NR1608 AVR

somethingname1

Novice Member
Has anyone tried the NR1608 AVR for music? If so did you like it for Music listening? I can get the 1608 AVR $450 new. Would it be just as good as the Stereo amp PM6005 for Music 2.0 which I can get for $500 used?

I rather get the stereo amp. I like it's reviews and sounds like what I'm looking for. I can see myself someday wanting to use a center channel for wider sound experience with the AVR though. Plus it's a few bucks cheaper and new so if the AVR is up to par in stereo. I'd go with that.

Don Dadda

Distinguished Member
The Pm6005 is better for music
If you have future plans for surround sounds then if funds allow you could either look for an avr thats more capable with music like a marantz sr700x. Or have the pm6005 and later when ready, look for avr with stereo pre outs so it can added into the existing setup.

$500 is very steep for us in the U.K. but we dont know where you are (Africa is a big continent) or whats else is available to you.

deantown

Distinguished Member
Last year I bought a pm6005 and cd6005 with a quality cable all in pristine condition for £320. I paired them with Wharfedale diamond 220’s and I’m delighted with all. So 500 dollars for the pm6005 seems a bit expensive to me.

somethingname1

Novice Member
Yeah it's real expensive in the U.S, i don't know why. New they cost $700 same as the pm6006. i was able to get the guy down to $440 shipped. It looks to be in pristine condition.

At first I was going to get a Onkyo a-9010 but then started doing more research and leaned towards a Nad D-3020 then ultimately decided on a Marantz. I can get the pm5005 new for $500 but What Hi-Fi said pm6005 sounds better.

I found a Elac C5 center channel I can get cheap. I can just use the extra speaker outputs I guess.

The latest video from AVForums

Fidelity in Motion's David Mackenzie talks about his work on disc encoding & the future of Blu-ray
Subscribe to our YouTube channel
Support AVForums with Patreon

Top Bottom