1. Join Now

AVForums.com uses cookies. By continuing to use this site, you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Learn More.

Marantz PM4400/4000

Discussion in 'AV Receivers & Amplifiers' started by snake_eye, Oct 9, 2004.

Tags:
  1. snake_eye

snake_eye

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +0
    Hi,

I need some advice from people who know what they are talking about, as I sure as hell don't! :p

I would like to know what the differences are between a Marantz PM4000 and a Marantz PM4400. To me they seem basically the same, and would rather go for the cheaper PM4000 so my money can go elsewhere. But is there anything majorly different or better with the PM4400 to warrant the extra money?

Although I seem set on getting a marantz, are there any other cheap amps that i should have a look at? I was thinking of getting the Cambridge Audio A5 before, is this a better choice than the PM4000?

Any other suggestions welcome.

Thanks

snake_eye

2. sm0akes

sm0akes
    Standard Member

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +0
    A second hand Nad c350/c320bee would be a much better bet. I went from a Marantz 4200 to a Nad c350 and difference was huge.

3. snake_eye

snake_eye

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +0
    I think the nad is a little out of my price range. I'm trying to keep the amp to around £50.

But anyway, is there anyone who could explain if there is any difference between the PM4000 and the PM4400?

thanks

snake_eye

4. sm0akes

sm0akes
    Standard Member

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +0
    Yeah at £50 thats the best your going to get. I've had both the pm4000 and pm4200 and there is very little difference. I would imagine that is the same with the pm4400. It is probably slightly better than the pm4200.

5. snake_eye

snake_eye

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +0
    Thanks for the reply sm0akes.

I'm just thinking, is it better to get a new Cambridge Audio A1 for an extra tenner rather than the PM4000? I mean what I'm trying to ask is, is it better to get an amplifier that is still on sale in shops/recent release or does it not matter?

I will be powering a pair of Eltax Monitor III's and hopefully a Paradigm PDR-10 sub.

Cheers

snake_eye

6. sm0akes

sm0akes
    Standard Member

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +0
    The pm4000 is considerably better than the CA A1. Whether or not the amp is still on sale is pretty irrelevant. The technology hasnt changed very much in the last few years.

In this case the A1 has been around for years and is probably an older amp than the marantz.

7. snake_eye

snake_eye

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +0
    what if I were to compare the CA A5 with the PM4000?

8. sm0akes

sm0akes
    Standard Member

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +0
    Thats a tougher choice. I havent heard the A5 so the only thing I can suggest is auditioning them. If this isnt possible read some reviews and make a choice.

9. Stokie Dave

Stokie Dave
    Standard Member

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +1
    I went from a Marantz PM4000 to a NAD C320BEE

Crap move!! Wish I'd have kept the Marantz. Less power (by quite a bit) but generally a great sound and MUCH better bass extention than the NAD. 50 quid is a bargain, still a great amp.