Marantz PM4001 - good amp for Mordaunt-Short 914?

Discussion in 'Hi-Fi Stereo Systems & Separates' started by dabots, Sep 22, 2007.

1. dabots

dabots
    Standard Member

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +4
    Hi guys,

My original hi-fi setup was a Cambridge Audio A5 single-wired to Eltax Monitor IIIs, with the sound input coming from a Behringer DJX700 mixer. However, the Eltax speakers blew so I then bought Mordaunt-Short 914 floorstanders and bi-wired them to the A5. However, the A5 recently broke so I am looking to replace it, and am considering a Marantz PM4001 as that is priced within my £150 budget. Would the Marantz be a good choice?

I listen to a wide variety of music but prefer indie, rock and house. I DJ with this equipment at house parties on a regular basis, and am about to move over to an M-Audio Conectiv-based hard-drive setup.

Thanks,

Nick

2. Badger0-0

Badger0-0
    Distinguished Member

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +1,923
    The Mordaunt Shorts are decidely bright and the Marantz amps are fairly warm, so would make a good match, IMO.

3. McFaber

McFaber

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +144
    Marantz recommended Mordaunt Short speakers when I e-mailed them several months ago....;)

4. Nobber22

Nobber22

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +111
    Marantz amps do sound very good with MS speakers, but for someone who "parties" with his kit, I suggest you look at something wih more guts than the 30W the 4001 is capable of.

Check out the PM7001 (or even better than KI version) for an amp with the control to make your speakers go loud without losing composure. There is also a new 6001 version just out.

Alternatively a NAD C352 will be a good step up in quality from the A5.

And CA do have their range of 540/640 amps to consider too, although they can be a bit brighter than Marantz kit.