Marantz pm-6006uk upgrade not as outstanding as my old Cambridge audio azur 540a ??

nigemart73

Novice Member
Reaction score
I bought the Marantz pm-6006uk , with the marantz network player na6006 , monitor audio bronze 5 and I have a systemdeck iix turntable , which I’m impressed with them all BUT !! …,
I moved my old Cambridge audio azur 550A into the bedroom with a little pair of Celestion f10 bookshelf speakers and a blu dento Bluetooth adapter . The mrs said she preferred the Cambridge sound , so out of interest I took it down stairs to compare against the marantz , and the music does sound crisper , I know the marantz is known to be a warm sound , just thinking do I swap them or even sell my marantz and buy a second hand Cambridge up grade ???
I’ve also read some where I could use my 540A as a pre amp some how with another amp ???

The amplifier have to support pre out then, if you want to use the Cambridge as pre amplifier. Not entirely sure but I believe so.

Marantz voicing is on the warm side of neutral. Rolled of treble, full midrange, full bass. Many fell Marantz lacks drive and dynamics, hence why you don’t enjoy the sound.

However this greatly depends on the speakers. Plus Marantz tend to sound better after few days. Burn in it’s called, or simply the components inside need to get right temperature.

This is something I have experienced with Marantz amplifier.

The amplifier have to support pre out then, if you want to use the Cambridge as pre amplifier. Not entirely sure but I believe so.

Marantz voicing is on the warm side of neutral. Rolled of treble, full midrange, full bass. Many fell Marantz lacks drive and dynamics, hence why you don’t enjoy the sound.

However this greatly depends on the speakers. Plus Marantz tend to sound better after few days. Burn in it’s called, or simply the components inside need to get right temperature.

This is something I have experienced with Marantz amplifier.
I take it you own or have owned a marantz amp , they seem to sing well when pushed , but can be slightly lacking at low volume level , of course my speakers will have a big affect on this

Yes. I know the Marantz sound well. Not familiar with the other set off speakers you have, but the Bronze 5 speakers should suit the amplifier well.

If you feel the volume is lacking on low volume it might be wise to change the speakers to Dali Oberon 5. Dali are dynamic sounding at low volume.

Sound is subjective, so it’s impossible to recommend something.

Yes. I know the Marantz sound well. Not familiar with the other set off speakers you have, but the Bronze 5 speakers should suit the amplifier well.

If you feel the volume is lacking on low volume it might be wise to change the speakers to Dali Oberon 5. Dali are dynamic sounding at low volume.

Sound is subjective, so it’s impossible to recommend something.
Yeh , may have to go and have a listen to a set , thanks for reply

Is the Marantz amplifier brand new?

I had the impression it was brand new. It seems you like more neutral sound. Rotel, Rega might suit the speakers better.

I believe there is Cambridge amplifier with 100 watts in Marantz price class. I believe it has build in receiver too.

Then of course CXA81 from Cambridge.

The Cambridge amps have a better current supply than the Marantz, and I’d seriously think, a more robust power supply all round.

That’s part of CAs amplifiers charm. They can drive speakers better than their price would suggest.

The 6000 series was never a powerhouse set of amps. And they are known for being ‘forgiving’ of harsher speakers and recordings. Which in turn can make them sound rather pedestrian to some ears.

If you’re happier with the 540, it makes no sense to put the Marantz back there.

I’d suggest you part ex it (or sell it would probably get you more cash) for a slightly more modern CA. This one would be a particularly good long term buy.

Or the AXR85.

Selling the Marantz won’t be a problem. They sell quickly and hold their price well.

The Cambridge amps have a better current supply than the Marantz, and I’d seriously think, a more robust power supply all round.

That’s part of CAs amplifiers charm. They can drive speakers better than their price would suggest.

The 6000 series was never a powerhouse set of amps. And they are known for being ‘forgiving’ of harsher speakers and recordings. Which in turn can make them sound rather pedestrian to some ears.

If you’re happier with the 540, it makes no sense to put the Marantz back there.

I’d suggest you part ex it (or sell it would probably get you more cash) for a slightly more modern CA. This one would be a particularly good long term buy.

Or the AXR85.

Selling the Marantz won’t be a problem. They sell quickly and hold their price

Or the AXR85.

Selling the Marantz won’t be a problem. They sell quickly and hold their price well.
Yes think I may sell the marantz and upgrade my Cambridge

Or the AXR85.

-- As an eBay Associate, AVForums earns from qualifying purchases --
Or this one. Digital inputs and a sub out too.

Side tracking slightly has any one got any other suggestions of other second hand amps are similar if not better than the marantz and CA
Did see this on e bay

Side tracking slightly has any one got any other suggestions of other second hand amps are similar if not better than the marantz and CA
Did see this on e bay
One thing I have noticed , how many Cambridge audios are either faulty or refurbs , which isn’t a good sign , mind many years ago did stop working but was under warranty

The pm6006 is a sideways move at best to the Azur. In fact the CA is better built, punches well above it's weight.

If its the 540 v1 then it can be bi amped with another 540 v1. Not sure about the v2 though.

The Marantz PM6004 was a huge disappointment, admittedly earlier compared to its CD player double that I cannot fault. The CD player had USB connection with IPod that was great. The amp is gutless. I’ve now power amped an Arcam, 1 or 7, with a Roksan that makes you jump when you turn it on! These go through BI Wired B&W. It’s fun, but still not too much. I like classical and so obviously it’s not a Clash Concert, always! I am a bass fiend but really appreciate tremble and mid. Perhaps try adding a power amp?

Deleted, God this is tedious. Why not have a delete post option. It honestly hate posting on any site. I like to spell and articulate my point accurately.

Deleted, God this is tedious. Why not have a delete post option. It honestly hate posting on any site. I like to spell and articulate my point accurately.
Simply delete the text when using the edit option, whole or in part by using the delete button on your key pad and then re-type. Only mods have the power to delete completed and posted answers. I have deleted two of your 'deletes' in the past few minutes.

The pm6006 is a sideways move at best to the Azur. In fact the CA is better built, punches well above it's weight.

If its the 540 v1 then it can be bi amped with another 540 v1. Not sure about the v2 though.
Yes the Cambridge is superior sound in my ears , now my next idea as you do is upgrade again and buy a second hand Cambridge audio cx 60
I can only presume this is a step up again , it would be a gamble as I won’t be comparing them , this hifi game does get a bit addictive doesn’t it , I suppose I don’t really need to upgrade but have this urge to buy

Out of interest how do you bi amp and is it a big improvement

If you really want to upgrade your sound, speakers should ideally come first as they make the biggest difference.

Depends on what you are looking for such as a newer amp with digital inputs that may come in handy later...

Out of interest how do you bi amp and is it a big improvement
Its been over 15 years since I looked in the manual but from memory, just run rca cables from the pre outs into one or any of the inputs on the other. Turn the volume to maximum on the second amp. Use the first amp to control volume.

I used to own a 540 v1 but never tried to bi amp as I upgraded to the 540 v2 then 640v2. I tried to bi amp using two 540 v2's but couldn't get any sound to the second amp, Im not sure if I wired it wrong as I wired them in the same way as the manual in the v1 or if the v2 can't be bi amped. I can't remember if the manual for the v2 has a bi amp diagram. The v1 manual certainly did.

Ive only tried bi amping on my old Arcam amps. I can't hear any difference on low volumes but turn it up and there is improved instrument separation with complex music. No difference if its just an acapella track with one instrument.

Its been over 15 years since I looked in the manual but from memory, just run rca cables from the pre outs into one or any of the inputs on the other. Turn the volume to maximum on the second amp. Use the first amp to control volume.

I used to own a 540 v1 but never tried to bi amp as I upgraded to the 540 v2 then 640v2. I tried to bi amp using two 540 v2's but couldn't get any sound to the second amp, Im not sure if I wired it wrong as I wired them in the same way as the manual in the v1 or if the v2 can't be bi amped. I can't remember if the manual for the v2 has a bi amp diagram. The v1 manual certainly did.

Ive only tried bi amping on my old Arcam amps. I can't hear any difference on low volumes but turn it up and there is improved instrument separation with complex music. No difference if its just an acapella track with one instrument

Ive only tried bi amping on my old Arcam amps. I can't hear any difference on low volumes but turn it up and there is improved instrument separation with complex music. No difference if its just an acapella track with one instrument.
What amp. Do you own now and how do you compare it to the 640a v2 or other older Cambridge, I still really like the sound of them and can be picked up for a song

The latest video from AVForums

TV Buying Guide - Which TV Is Best For You?
Subscribe to our YouTube channel
Back
Top Bottom