Marantz or Yamaha

deantown

Distinguished Member
So what's the better choice between Marantz pm6006/cd6006 and Yamaha as301/cdn301? I would be adding a Turntable, which is best at a reasonable price. Also speakers, kefls50,JBL lsr305,Q3020, etc., Budget in region of £1K. Thanks in advance.

muljao

I really like the marantz pm6006. I have not heard the Yamaha, but have owned Yamaha and marantz and think marantz is more musical.

If I bought the pm6006, I'd buy the cd5005 instead of the 6006 and connect via digital cable, therefore using the amps DAC which is the same as the cd6006 DAC, so all the sound benefits, but less money spent

BlueWizard

Distinguished Member
The Marantz for quality, but the Yamaha for high value and high return on your money. Also, you can get the Yamaha AS501 (85w/ch) with DAC for about £20 to £30 more than the AS301 (60w/ch).

If you can come up with the extra money, the Yamaha AS501 over the AS301 is certainly worth it.

Yamaha are still quality amps, but Marantz is probably better quality, but you get much less amp for your money. For example, the Marantz PM6006 is about 45w/ch. That's fine, perfectly OK, but it is not 85w/ch.

Steve/bluewizard

Riff

I had a Marantz PM7003 and switched to a Yamaha R-N602.

The Marantz had smoother bass, the Yamaha is a bit better in the mid and high range. The difference is very subtle though, so I doubt you'd regret whatever you choose over the other. Get the one with the connections you need and/or the looks you like, I'd say.

deantown

Distinguished Member
Or should I go with Marantz cr611 or the Denon dm41 and add speakers and turntable to one of them ? This will be mainly used in my conservatory.

muljao

Or should I go with Marantz cr611 or the Denon dm41 and add speakers and turntable to one of them ? This will be mainly used in my conservatory.
Your purchase depends on your needs. The Marantz cr611 and denon dm41 are fine units, pair them with good speakers and they are great. Make sure turntable added has inbuilt phono stage.

A dedicated amp in same price range will likely be better, but that doesn't mean the all in one systems are not very good

The latest video from AVForums

Star Wars Andor, Woman King, more Star Trek 4K, Rings of Power & the latest TV, movies & 4K releases
Subscribe to our YouTube channel
Support AVForums with Patreon

Top Bottom