Marantz or Harmony?

Discussion in 'Home Cinema Control & Remote Controls' started by doughy1882, Nov 5, 2005.

1. doughy1882

doughy1882
    Standard Member

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +0
    Hi. I am looking for an all-in-one remote on my limited budget. I have the following devices:

Sharp LC32GA6E LCD TV
    Amstrad Sky Digital Box (not Sky+)
    Toshiba SD210E DVD Player
    Sherwood RD7106-R Receiver

I am looking at the following remotes:

Marantz RC1200
    Marantz RC1400

Harmony 659

Can anyone confirm that either will work with my devices please? I wasn't sure if they could operate my Sky box or not.

2. hornydragon

hornydragon

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Somewhere near the M4 most of the time......
    Ratings:
    +1,218
    harmony is fine Marantz 1200 is old and pretty ropey go for a harmony 655 (£30 at dixons/currys) or 525 £50 online much better than marrantz units

3. doughy1882

doughy1882
    Standard Member

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +0
    I am definetly looking at the Harmony's now. I'm still trying to work out why there are so many different models and how each one differs.

Is there any system to the model numbers? Lower number is better or later model or something?

I am just reading the logitech page now but it only lists what I presume are the current models.

http://www.logitech.com/index.cfm/products/features/harmony/gb/en,CRID=2078?ad=hmf

4. doughy1882

doughy1882
    Standard Member

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +0
    Just looked at the models they have in Comet and apart from their prices I was very impressed.

They didn't have the 659 though and this is the one I am thinking of gettings. I'm gonna spend the rest of the weekend researching.

Does anyone use a 659? Would be nice to know whats good and not soo good about this model.

5. Richard46

Richard46

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +120
    Could be wrong but I think this may not have the colour buttons.

6. ABC1

ABC1

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +33
    Have had 659 for 12 months, and have been really pleased with it but as quoted above it does not have the red/green/blue/yellow teletext buttons, which may or may not be an issue, I have Sky plus and have found the lack or direct button a little of an issue, but have just bought a 525 today because it has these, and to be honest I dont see where the 525 falls down, the only thing it doesn't have is the Media button, but as this does not work in the UK (in the US you can load the equivalent of the Radio times guide in!) I can see no reason to spend the extra. I suspect that now Logitech have taken over, the older range - of which the 659 is - is being phased out in favour of a new range, dixons doing the 688 at £30 seems idicative of clearing the shelves. Theres nothing wrong with the older models they are great, but the cost is falling, and now being more widely stocked which makes it easier to get a good price. Having come from a Pronto previously, good, but cumbersome and timely to programme. I can't recommend these enough.

7. doughy1882

doughy1882
    Standard Member

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +0
    Good point. But I can still program these onto other buttons right? For instance the press RED button is the only one I use on sky so I could program this on the remote?

8. ABC1

ABC1

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +33
    Yes, you can programme these onto the buttons either side of the screen no problem.