Marantz or denon

Jesper79

Established Member
Reaction score
hi guys. It might be a Classic dilemma on this forum.

I just bought a marantz av7702mkii and a marantz mm8077. Im wondering if the denon 6200 might be a better choice.

I want to run 7.1.2 and the marantz setup is already not enough.

Is there anything else i might have missed and would make the denon a better choice. I have Dali suite speakers which all are 4 ohm.

I think both setups sounds good all im wondering is that the denon might be more future proof or something else..

I hope for some good advise while i still can get my money back for the marantz setup:)

The AV7702 should be fine. It's just the power amp you have to look at if wanting to power more speakers. Simply add 4 more channels of external amplification if wanting a 7.1.2 or 7.1.4 setup. The AV7702 has the same HDMI version and audio decoding capabilities as the AVRX6200 so is no less future proofed than the Denon would be.

The pre pro and power amp combo will be superior to the integrated AVRX6200. You'd be reducing performance as opposed to gaining it.

Stick with the Marantz setup and expand upon it.

Last edited:
Thanks for your reply.

That was my conclusion too about the power in the marantz setup.
If I buy the 5 channel marantz amplifier and only use 2 og the 5 channels will the amplifier deliver more power to the 2 channels?

Thanks for your reply.

That was my conclusion too about the power in the marantz setup.
If I buy the 5 channel marantz amplifier and only use 2 og the 5 channels will the amplifier deliver more power to the 2 channels?

You'll have to explain what you mean. I thought you alreasy had the AV7702 processor and a Marantz MM8077 7 channel power amp?

What is your ultimate goal, 7.1.2 or 7.1.4?

Power amps tend to output the exact same power rating irrespective of how many of their channels are being utilised at any one time. You'd not get more power while using fewer channels of amplification. This is one benefit associated with using power amps over integrated AV receivers which tend to have less power per channel the more channels you use.

Sorry. I do have the av7702mkii and the mm8077. My goal is to end up with 7.1.2 so I miss to channels.

Thank you for your explenation regarding the power. I fully understand now:)

You just need an additional 2 channel powwr amp then. You can look at a using a higher grade power amp and drive the front stereo pair with it if stereo performance of of importance to you. You don't need to use the 7 channel amp to drive the stereo speakers.

I own the 7702 mk2 and agree with Dante. The 6200 would be a retrograde step. Your 8807 will deliver power (with all channels driven) that the 6200 could only dream of. Look up the power specs of the 6200 (all channels driven) against the 8807.

All you need is another 2ch amp to complete your set up. Keep your eye open in the classifieds for a cheap 2ch amp to drive your two atmos speakers. I recently picked up a 6ch rotel amp to drive my four atmos speakers for about £200, you don't need a very powerful amp for this application.

All the best

Thanks for your reply indus:)

If i choose another amp than marantz wont their be a difference in the sound? I mean the marantz is warm and sort in its sound where as other amps can be the opposite.

Thanks for your reply indus:)

If i choose another amp than marantz wont their be a difference in the sound? I mean the marantz is warm and sort in its sound where as other amps can be the opposite.

You'll never hear the difference especially if the 'different amp' is firing effects type speakers ie atmos. I have a Primare powering the seven base layer speakers and a Rotel powering the atmos speakers, no problems at all.

In the past I've had a whole variety of amps mixed up without any issues. It would make sense to ensure that LCR are powered by the same brand but some don't even do that and are still very happy with the results.

The latest video from AVForums

TV Buying Guide - Which TV Is Best For You?
Subscribe to our YouTube channel
Back
Top Bottom