Marantz or Denon what is the difference?

Annisijah

Novice Member
Reaction score
Hi guys! I am assembling a HI-FI system, because I got speakers from Klipsch for a very good price, I choose a receiver and in this post Best 9.2 Receiver Reviews of 2021 [Amazing AV Features] tell you about different models of Denon and Marantz, as I understand this is the top among receivers, I also read on the Internet that this is one and the same the same company, but the prices are different, how do they differ from each other fundamentally? Which one do you recommend to choose?

Welcome

Some will be along to give a more in depth answer.

The quick answer is they are the same company but they use different components

The Marantz is supposed to be more musical, so if that is of no interest go for the Denon as the Marantz will cost more

Same company however marantz frequency response is not flat. Also marantz hdam introduces distortion.

Since you have klipsch which are known to be forward/hard, I'd go for warmer sounding marantz. Denon apparently brighter sound.

Best to try a couple of aves in your system unless buying blind

As above, I find that Marantz and Denon sound very similar for movies / tv, but for 2 channel music, the Marantz is better. However, I wouldn't recommend a Marantz AVR as the main amplifier to use for enjoying 2 channel music, it's okay as background though.

Hi guys! I am assembling a HI-FI system, because I got speakers from Klipsch for a very good price, I choose a receiver and in this post Best 9.2 Receiver Reviews of 2021 [Amazing AV Features] tell you about different models of Denon and Marantz, as I understand this is the top among receivers, I also read on the Internet that this is one and the same the same company, but the prices are different, how do they differ from each other fundamentally? Which one do you recommend to choose?
Hi op, I know this thread is dead now, but I'm wanting a new amp to replace my onkyo, tx-sr508, and considering a marantz as I'm told my kef q550 could sound better with a better amp, but just wondering if you ever listened and tested the denon next to a marantz?

I hear a lot of people saying the marantz is more musical but haven't found many people who have actually listened to them side by side, and are therfore maybe hearing the placebo. Any marantz in uk seem to be +50% more expensive!

Hi op, I know this thread is dead now, but I'm wanting a new amp to replace my onkyo, tx-sr508, and considering a marantz as I'm told my kef q550 could sound better with a better amp, but just wondering if you ever listened and tested the denon next to a marantz?

I hear a lot of people saying the marantz is more musical but haven't found many people who have actually listened to them side by side, and are therfore maybe hearing the placebo. Any marantz in uk seem to be +50% more expensive!

Some of the marantz do have rolled off treble, which may be ok if your speakers are too bright.

But room EQ could correct for this, or your avr may have bass/treble controls.

A amp should be flat with it in pure direct mode. Anything else- badly designed amp

Some of the marantz do have rolled off treble, which may be ok if your speakers are too bright.

But room EQ could correct for this, or your avr may have bass/treble controls.

A amp should be flat with it in pure direct mode. Anything else- badly designed amp
Yeah when I first picked up the q550 it was disgustingly bright, until I fully turned off the audyssey on the onkyo. Now they sound a little bright but only on some tracks, like 1 in 200 maybe, so likely just the tracks.

I'm not bothered by the Brightness if my onkyo is bright, I'm fact I'm worried if a marantz may even bee TOO soft. I like the detail you know?
But honestly I can't see it making a big difference.

Maybe my richer sounds will have one to demo but for how damn expensive they are (about double the price of a denon) I know I wouldn't buy one new and would feel bad for demo-ing without buying.
I saw a £1300 sr6015 go for £750 on the bay yesterday though... That seems like a deal... Even if it is still £200 odd more than a 2700h I'm looking at 😂

And that's what I mean, it ain't a deal if it won't sound any different/better to the denon for music.

Marantz being more musical seems to be a result of Chinese whispers. Many will report that it is ‘supposed‘ to be more musical without ever comparing them. The next person passes that on and so on and so forth.

The reliable, objective testing I’ve seen on Denon and Marantz receivers is on audio science review where they conclude that most Marantz receivers are utter cack and most Denon receivers are very good. The musical ‘tuning’ is simply adding in distortion and ruining a perfectly good Denon.

Marantz being more musical seems to be a result of Chinese whispers. Many will report that it is ‘supposed‘ to be more musical without ever comparing them. The next person passes that on and so on and so forth.

The reliable, objective testing I’ve seen on Denon and Marantz receivers is on audio science review where they conclude that most Marantz receivers are utter cack and most Denon receivers are very good. The musical ‘tuning’ is simply adding in distortion and ruining a perfectly good Denon

The 8015 did very well compared to other marantz navr/AV pre

Yep, pretty much the only Marantz that does. And still, it is only performing similarly to its Denon counterpart.

The latest video from AVForums

Is 4K Blu-ray Worth It?
Subscribe to our YouTube channel
Back
Top Bottom