Marantz NR1711 not always detecting cable as default source when turning on TV.

jamct

Established Member
Reaction score
Intermittent fault when turning on the TV each day as Marantz NR1711 does not always detect Virgin Media V6 cable as 'default source' when turning on TV viz:-

Each morning the TV, Virgin Media V6 and amp are all on standby. All 3 remote controls are handy.
Actions:
Turn on TV, the amp switches on automatically and on about 50% of occasions, the V6's previous channel turns on by default.
However on the other 50% of occasions, the TV displays a message box stating:

'No Signal' followed by text "Check the HDMI cable connection & settings of the HDMI source......" A 'Sources' button is displayed at the bottom right corner of the message box.

I then have to press the amp's remote control 'Tiny little' CBL/SAT button to activate the V6 cable TV box.
This is not a problem for me but my wife of 73 having several health issues, unfortunately gets very confused with this 'fault' scenario if she is first up in the morning. Turning on the TV with its RC, not a problem, but having then to use the amp's RC is confusing for her even though I have demonstrated/written down instructions so she ends up pressing every button on all 3 remotes ending up with blank or frozen screen poor love 🥴.

When turning the TV on/off during the day, the same situation reoccurres intermittently.

I have ensured all HDMI cables are firmly in place.

Can anyone solve the problem other than scrapping my home cinema set up or suggesting I always getting up first😉.

Last edited:
Can you identify what source is active on the AVR when the cable doesn't work? 'cos pressing the CBL/SAT source on the AVR seems like something else (TV ARC?) has been selected.

Try turning on the system by turning on the V6 box first rather than making TV do it via hdmi CEC? (Even though the TV method works).
Or try putting it back to standby the on again when you get the issue rather than using the AVR remote to select the correct source.

HDMI CEC is a variable feast though.

Another fix might be to connect the V6 to a TV hdmi in and send audio via ARC to the AVR.

Tiny little' CBL/SAT button
You have four larger buttons on the remote marked numerically. These are the quick select buttons. When next on the cab/sat HDMI press and hold one of the those four buttons for three seconds. The cab/sat input will then be remembered for that numerical button.

The problem you are experiencing is a handshake problem between the various connected bits of kit. I'd try what's been outlined above.

Can you identify what source is active on the AVR when the cable doesn't work? 'cos pressing the CBL/SAT source on the AVR seems like something else (TV ARC?) has been selected.

Try turning on the system by turning on the V6 box first rather than making TV do it via hdmi CEC? (Even though the TV method works).
Or try putting it back to standby the on again when you get the issue rather than using the AVR remote to select the correct source.

HDMI CEC is a variable feast though.

Another fix might be to connect the V6 to a TV hdmi in and send audio via ARC to the AVR.
See OP Edit in BOLD.
Connections:
TV HDMI 1 Arc to Amp HDMI Arc
Cable V6 HDMI to Amp CAB/SAT HDMI.

Sorry, but I actually don't put the cable V6 on standby at night nor during the day when TV not in use so that my wife only has to turn on the TV in the morning.

So this morning I have now carried out the following procedure as suggested by you:
1. Simulation, as if at night - I put TV and V6 on standby, the amp switched to standby automatically.

2. Turned on TV, this activated the amp with TV on-screen message " switching to audio system".

3. New message box displayed viz:
No Signal' followed by text "Check the HDMI cable connection & settings of the HDMI source......" A 'Sources' button is displayed at the bottom right corner of the message box.

4. Turned on V6 cable box, TV screen activated to display previous night's cable channel. Great!.

5. Simulated daytime TV on to standby, cable box remaining on.

6. Turned on TV, this is when the fault can occur 50% of the time. Screen will either turn on or the 'No signal' box appears.☹️
Not a problem for me but is for my wife if I am out & about.

In conclusion the morning turn on can be resolved but then the daytime issue will persist if I can't get my wife to turn off BOTH the TV AND cable box on EVERY occasion during the day!. She will also have to remember, if she is up first, to turn on the TV first, then the cable box........that may be a problem for health reasons.

Last edited:
Try TV connected to one of the TVs AV hdmi inputs. NOT via th AVR.

It'll be the most likely way to simplify operation for your wife and is more likely that the hdmi handshake with V6 will work reliably (I think/hope).

You have four larger buttons on the remote marked numerically. These are the quick select buttons. When next on the cab/sat HDMI press and hold one of the those four buttons for three seconds. The cab/sat input will then be remembered for that numerical button.

The problem you are experiencing is a handshake problem between the various connected bits of kit. I'd try what's been outlined above.
Whilst the better half was watching Wimbledon tennis via Virgin Media V6 I carried out your instruction and held down the AVR's RC 'Smart Select button 1' (same size as tiny CBL/SAT😉) for 3 sec.. During a break in play, I put TV on stand-by then switched on again for TV to resume operation without any message boxes appearing. I will now monitor the situation over the next few day/night activity whilst retaining my cable connections per post #4 which are as recommended in the Marantz installation instruction booklet.

What source is the AV receiver set to prior to you then pressing the CBL source button to switch it to your V6?

If the AV receiver was powering itself up out of standby and setting itself to the TV source then this was as a result of having HDMI ARC and HDMI CEC (Control) enabled on the AV receiver. It is an inherant drawback associated with the way ARC works and its reliance upon HDMI CEC. The TV would automatically send an HDMI CEC command to the AV receiver to switch it to the TV source whenever you power up the TV from standby.

You can prevent this behaviour on Denon or Marantz AV receivers by going into their HDMI configurations and setting the TV AUDIO SWITCHING setting to OFF. The downside to this would be that you'd subsequently need to manually select the TV source if and when actually wanting to use ARC to access audio from the TV. By setting the setting to OFF you basically prevent the TV from being able to switch your AV receiver to the AV receiver's TV audio source automatically and this is what it was doing each time you powered the TV up out of standby.

Basically, it is this HDMI CEC command associated with ARC that is more than likely resulting in your AV receiver not powering up set to the last source you set it to or your V6 cable box.

Last edited:
What source is the AV receiver set to prior to you then pressing the CBL source button to switch it to your V6?

If the AV receiver was powering itself up out of standby and setting itself to the TV source then this was as a result of having HDMI ARC and HDMI CEC (Control) enabled on the AV receiver. It is an inherant drawback associated with the way ARC works and its reliance upon HDMI CEC. The TV would automatically send an HDMI CEC command to the AV receiver to switch it to the TV source whenever you power up the TV from standby.

You can prevent this behaviour on Denon or Marantz AV receivers by going into their HDMI configurations and setting the TV AUDIO SWITCHING setting to OFF. The downside to this would be that you'd subsequently need to manually select the TV source if and when actually wanting to use ARC to access audio from the TV. By setting the setting to OFF you basically prevent the TV from being able to switch your AV receiver to the AV receiver's TV audio source automatically and this is what it was doing each time you powered the TV up out of standby.

Basically, it is this HDMI CEC command associated with ARC that is more than likely resulting in your AV receiver not powering up set to the last source you set it to or your V6 cable box.
I am not sure how to check or answer your initial question and have difficulty in understanding the remainder of you post.

I only ever use the CBL/SAT source via the TIVO V6 cable box's HDMI lead to the AVR. When turning on the TV, the AVR also turns on and the word TIVO is displayed on the AVR display. This is followed by a message on the TV stating "switching to audio system" at which point the last TV channel come on.
However since my previous post and pressing 'Smart Select button 1', I have not had any further problems per the 'NO SIGNAL' message described in my OP.

Many thanks anyway for your information and advice.

Last edited:
The source is shown on the front display.

Basically, the issue you have sounds to be what you'd expect if powering up a TV with ARC and HDMI Control engaged. It wouldn't be a fault or an issue with the HDMI handshaking and would simp,y be an unwanted consequence of using HDMI ARC and CEC. Denon and Marantz AV receivers do have an option to prevent this kind of behaviour though.

The TV will automatically send a message to the AV receiver to make it switch to the TV ARC audio source when you powwer it up out of standby if you've gor ARC and HDMI Control turned on onboard the AV receiver. You can however prevent this by setting the TV AUDIO SWITCHING setting to OFF in the AV receiver's HDMI configurations.

The TV indicates NO SIGNAL, because the AV receiver ceases to output anything to the TV if the source on the AV receiver is set to TV (ARC).

The issue has nothing to do with the TiVo cable box or where you've connected it.

Last edited:
The source is shown on the front display.

Basically, the issue you have sounds to be what you'd expect if powering up a TV with ARC and HDMI Control engaged. It wouldn't be a fault or an issue with the HDMI handshaking and would simp,y be an unwanted consequence of using HDMI ARC and CEC. Denon and Marantz AV receivers do have an option to prevent this kind of behaviour though.

The TV will automatically send a message to the AV receiver to make it switch to the TV ARC audio source when you powwer it up out of standby if you've gor ARC and HDMI Control turned on onboard the AV receiver. You can however prevent this by setting the TV AUDIO SWITCHING setting to OFF in the AV receiver's HDMI configurations.

The TV indicates NO SIGNAL, because the AV receiver ceases to output anything to the TV if the source on the AV receiver is set to TV (ARC).

The issue has nothing to do with the TiVo cable box or where you've connected it.
I'll check the AVR settings menu in due course when the wife lets me interrupt her viewing of Wimbledon. Thanks

See screen prints of current AVR INPUTS and AVR LED Display information viz;

1. Display shows TV when the V6 TIVO is on standby, having turned on the TV which then activates the AVR.
2. Display switches from TV to TIVO when the cable box is then turned on from standby.
3. If the TIVO is left ON over night along with the TV & AVR both on standby then when switching on the TV/AVR next morning, the NO Signal message sometime appears as described in previous posts
4 The AVR Setup screen pic of INPUTS shows TIVO 1 for the CBL/SAT HDMI input and an X for the
TV(arc) Audio HDMI input. Mi

Please comment on the setup and whether or not it is correct and/or the reason for the intermittent No Signal message.
1656948206959.jpg
1656948170630.jpg
Marantz NR1711.jpg

PS
I could not locate the "HDMI Control" screen to investigate its function or setting options relating to input assignments. However I do not understand it's purpose.🤔

Last edited:

The latest video from AVForums

TV Buying Guide - Which TV Is Best For You?
Subscribe to our YouTube channel
Back
Top Bottom