Marantz NR1711 HDMI (user review)

mirdragon

Standard Member
Reaction score
Hi all,

In January I purchased the NR1711 (but never received until February) ready to upgrade my TV and console later in the year. I then found out about the issues with the 120hz and querying Marantz they advised they are still investigating and will announce resolution in the future. I'm hoping they do what Onkyo done a few years back before they were bought out by Sound United and do a product recall and upgrade the HDMI chips.

I can live with the 120hz issue for the time being as not got the new console, but for others out there I thought I would also share some experience of using the device for about a month.

I have a 2016 LG 55" TV which is wall mounted and previously had the Denon AVR-X2300W connected to it using a 3 metre non-certified HDMI cable. I never had issues with Sky Q, Apple TV 4K, Shield TV 2015/2019 Pro, Blu Ray Player or Xbox One X connected to it. Playback was perfect and my harmony remote controlled everything and allowed google to switch on the devices.

With the NR1711 what I started experiencing was that when switching HDMI sources either via the dedicated button or quick select I would get no signal to the TV but audio was fine through the avr, so I purchased a 3 metre 8K certified cable (even though not needed) but had same problems, but if I connected devices directly to the TV with the same cables there were no problems.

I went back to RS and purchased a new 3 metre cable from them along with a new UHD player, this connects perfectly to my TV without issues and works flawlessly so I connected the NR1711 to this cable but experienced the same problem.

On mentioning this to Marantz support they advise that you must use a fibre optic hdmi cable for the avr if over 5 feet, or even my TV would be too old to support it, now my understanding is that HDMI is supposed to be backward compatible so should not be the issue and you don't need FOH unless going over 5 metres. I raised this with Marantz and they were adamant that you must use FOH over 5 feet not 5 metres and thus probably why I keep getting the no signal. They advised just to use the smart select options which defeats the point of having dedicated buttons.

In the end I purchased a 1.5 metre certified 8k HDMI cable for testing and so far over a week I have not had the signal issues I was getting with the 3 metre cables which all work perfectly using the X2300W.

So could this be an incompatibility issue with the LG 55" TV or another issue with the HDMI ports on the NR1711

On mentioning this to Marantz support they advise that you must use a fibre optic hdmi cable for the avr if over 5 feet, or even my TV would be too old to support it, now my understanding is that HDMI is supposed to be backward compatible so should not be the issue and you don't need FOH unless going over 5 metres. I raised this with Marantz and they were adamant that you must use FOH over 5 feet not 5 metres and thus probably why I keep getting the no signal. They advised just to use the smart select options which defeats the point of having dedicated buttons.
Surprised to hear that as it's clearly BS from Marantz. There is no "official" cut off point for 4K/60hz, but 5 metres is the generally accepted length where you can expect to start to have issues, with 15m being a slam dunk for a hybrid fibre cable.

That's the response I got from them, which I agree doesn't sound right as when I asked them to recommend a cable that works, they couldn't.

Originally they were on about the source devices causing the problems then cec

I've also kept Richersounds updated on this

Hi Mirdragon,

I am a recent owner of a NR1711 as well and have searched long and hard for some answers on HDMI dropout issues (with audio still going on during black screen). I have not experienced this issue with my Xbox One X or Nintendo Switch (both are using non-certified HDMI cables), but I have had the issue with my Apple TV 4k. My previous setup I had a 2016 TV with a Yamaha TSR-7850 receiver and never had issues with HDMI dropouts.

Seemingly at random, the video cuts out to black with the audio still playing during Netflix, Hulu, etc.

The Apple TV is on 14.4 firmware and NR1711 and my new LG CX 65" are all on latest firmware as well. I originally used the Belkin certified 8k 2m cable in my last setup from the Apple TV 4K to the Yamaha receiver. I also used another one of these Belkin cables from the Yamaha to the TV. Using these same Belkin cables, there is the HDMI dropout issue with the Apple TV 4k to NR1711 to the LG CX. I replaced both cables with Zeskit Maya certified HDMI 8k cables 2m and I am seeing the same issue.

I am ordering Zeskit Maya 1m cables to see if it fixes the issue as you have mentioned. I have not personally contacted Marantz yet. For troubleshooting, I also tried a different HDMI port on the receiver to connect the Apple TV and also a different HDMI input on the TV, but the same issue appeared in all configurations.

I will probably report back when I test the 1m cables to see if it fixes the issue. The issue seems common, like x2 times over the course of a 2 hr movie.

@Rift sorry for late response, but been a hectic time recently

I ended up buying a 1.5m cable and this has improved, but yes I still get the out drop-out and no signal displayed on my tv. I'm sure the issues are with the hdmi and when switching between formats like HDR and normal 4K or HD.

I've seen that Denon/Marantz have got a resolution for the 120hz issues, which is not ideal but its better than nothing

I have just purchased the Marantz NR1711 & am experiencing constant issues where it is just not picking up the hdmi feed at all (hdmi 1 sky tv), it is sometimes just playing the audio. If I keep pressing buttons it finally kicks in but coming from the NR1607 where I had no issues at all it is very disappointing indeed.
I have also had issues with the TV audio channel when I use apps from my TV where it will not pick up the audio. Once again I have to keep switching things & eventually it kicks back in.

Very disappointing for a £700 AVR.

Owner of Sony XRA90J, Marantz NR1711 AVR, Bowers & Wilkins MT50 surround speakers, Sky Q, PlayStation 5, XBox Series X & Panasonic UC900 4k Blu Ray player.

I have just purchased the Marantz NR1711 & am experiencing constant issues where it is just not picking up the hdmi feed at all (hdmi 1 sky tv), it is sometimes just playing the audio. If I keep pressing buttons it finally kicks in but coming from the NR1607 where I had no issues at all it is very disappointing indeed.
I have also had issues with the TV audio channel when I use apps from my TV where it will not pick up the audio. Once again I have to keep switching things & eventually it kicks back in.

Very disappointing for a £700 AVR.

Owner of Sony XRA90J, Marantz NR1711 AVR, Bowers & Wilkins MT50 surround speakers, Sky Q, PlayStation 5, XBox Series X & Panasonic UC900 4k Blu Ray player.
Have you tried a different, new spec, HDMI cable. Pressing various button may just be forcing a new handshake over a cable that is not working properly.

@gibbsy Thank you so much for the suggestion. I am using Audioquest Forest for the standard 4k source & QED Performance for the 120hz sources (PlayStation 5 & XBox Series x). Main cable for AVR to TV is QED Performance.
The cable issue may explain the Sky issue by not sure what is accounting for the lack of audio on the TV audio channel.
Looking at the other threads I think Marantz may have some serious reliability issues with the NR1711.

Having the same issues as everyone else. Just found this an wondered if this was the issue and we have the older model with out the fix.
If you've all seen this before then apologies, I'm new to the forum.

Having the same issues as everyone else. Just found this an wondered if this was the issue and we have the older model with out the fix.
If you've all seen this before then apologies, I'm new to the forum.

Welcome to the Forum.

Yes, it's been extensively covered.

Thought I'd just chime in here and say that I have this issue with my Bluray player going through the NR1711 to the TV. Sound continues, but picture drops with "no input". Pulling out the HDMI from the bluray end and replacing it solves the problem temporarily. Frustrating!

Thought I'd just chime in here and say that I have this issue with my Bluray player going through the NR1711 to the TV. Sound continues, but picture drops with "no input". Pulling out the HDMI from the bluray end and replacing it solves the problem temporarily. Frustrating!
I had the same problem with one of my devices. I switched off “deep colour output” in the HDMI settings on the external device and haven’t had the problem for 10 days (fingers crossed)

Thanks. I'll look and see if I have a similar setting. I've changed my 2 metre HDMI lead for a 1m Zeskit maya. Will see what happens :)

Just thought I'd update and say the 1m Zeskit maya cable has not fixed the issue. I can use the Marantz smartphone app and change the input to something else and back to the blu-ray and that fixes it, usually for the rest of the evening but not always.

The latest video from AVForums

Is 4K Blu-ray Worth It?
Subscribe to our YouTube channel
Back
Top Bottom