Hi

I am building a new home cinema on a 5.23m x 3.65m room

The speakers will be

Q Acoustics 3050 on front
Q Acoustics 3090C for Center
Q Acoustics 3020 on back
Q Acoustics 3070 Subwoofer behind the couch
And two Polk RC60i on Ceiling for Atmos

I was looking for a AV Amp around the £500-ish mark, with airplay 2 and (if possible) Alexa support, and these two are the ones that came up

Marantz NR1710
Onkyo TX-NR696

For these speakers, any advise what one to go for ? or is there another one I should be considering ?

Note that all my Video inputs are HDMI, so component and other video inputs wont be needed.

Any help appreciated

Carlos

The Onkyo has more power than the Marantz at 8 ohms with two channels driven with 100 watts as opposed to the Marantz with 50 watts per channel at 8 ohms. Given those figures the Onkyo would have more headroom available. The Marantz will have the better room EQ over the Onkyo. From your other thread you don't seem to have a big room so with those speakers, which do suit the Marantz very well, it may be powerful enough for you.

I would try and audition them even in just a stereo set up to determine which sound you prefer as they are different.

The Onkyo has more power than the Marantz at 8 ohms with two channels driven with 100 watts as opposed to the Marantz with 50 watts per channel at 8 ohms. Given those figures the Onkyo would have more headroom available. The Marantz will have the better room EQ over the Onkyo. From your other thread you don't seem to have a big room so with those speakers, which do suit the Marantz very well, it may be powerful enough for you.

I would try and audition them even in just a stereo set up to determine which sound you prefer as they are different.

Thanks, yeah if I was back in London i'd head over to a Richer Sounds, but currently working remotely in the Azores, so no local shop here with decent options to go and check :( .. the downfall of shopping over the web for such products :)

Thanks, yeah if I was back in London i'd head over to a Richer Sounds, but currently working remotely in the Azores, so no local shop here with decent options to go and check :( .. the downfall of shopping over the web for such products :)
What an absolutely awful place to work. Barry Island would be much closer. :)

With your other post in mind with a 5.1.4 speaker set up neither of the mentioned receivers would be able to run them as they are for a maximum of 7.1 or 5.1.2. You would need a Denon X3600 for a nine channel set up out of the box. Better version of Audyssey on the 3600 as well.

What an absolutely awful place to work. Barry Island would be much closer. :)

With your other post in mind with a 5.1.4 speaker set up neither of the mentioned receivers would be able to run them as they are for a maximum of 7.1 or 5.1.2. You would need a Denon X3600 for a nine channel set up out of the box. Better version of Audyssey on the 3600 as well.

Hehe

And yeah, if I was to go 4 speakers on ceiling I know those would not work, but I get to thinking that my room might not warrant using 4 ? or will I be missing out ?

Thanks again for all the help, been real useful.

The latest video from AVForums

TV Buying Guide - Which TV Is Best For You?
Subscribe to our YouTube channel
Back
Top Bottom