Marantz NR1710 & KEF T series

R1KEB

Established Member
Reaction score
Morning all, hope you’re safe and well? I’m looking to replace my ‘old’ Onkyo TX-NR609 (still works well but lacks latest connectivity). I have KEF T501 surround speakers and read that they ‘work on 8omhs’? I’m no electrical expert, just like what I like and the great sound of KEF so do t know what this really means. I’m looking at a Marantz NR1710, will this work with my KEF setup without damaging it? If not can anyone recommend an appropriate AVR. Thank you

Morning all, hope you’re safe and well? I’m looking to replace my ‘old’ Onkyo TX-NR609 (still works well but lacks latest connectivity). I have KEF T501 surround speakers and read that they ‘work on 8omhs’? I’m no electrical expert, just like what I like and the great sound of KEF so do t know what this really means. I’m looking at a Marantz NR1710, will this work with my KEF setup without damaging it? If not can anyone recommend an appropriate AVR. Thank you
Yes it will work fine mate, I've got a Kef T105 setup, with a Marantz SR6012..you will be fine using your Kefs.

Yes it will work fine mate, I've got a Kef T105 setup, with a Marantz SR6012..you will be fine using your Kefs.
Thank you, just one more question if I may? Are Denon and Marantz part of the same ‘family’? Their specs look very similar, so much so I’m liking the look of the Denon X3600H 9.1

Thank you, just one more question if I may? Are Denon and Marantz part of the same ‘family’? Their specs look very similar, so much so I’m liking the look of the Denon X3600H 9.1
They are indeed mate..most people lean towards marantz for its superior music quality, but if music isn't really your thing, the Denon will be just as good.

They are indeed mate..most people lean towards marantz for its superior music quality, but if music isn't really your thing, the Denon will be just as good.
Interesting, thanks. I love my music (hence the KEFs) but is the difference really that noticeable?

Marantz employ HDAM circuitry on their upper tier models which is 'tuned' more for music and has always been a strong selling point with Marantz but the slimline 1710 doesn't have the HDAM circuits. The difference between the 1710 and some of the Denons would be marginal.

Is there any reason why you want the slimline models as they are short of power as well when compared the some of the full size Denon and other Marantz models. If you compare the Denon X3600 to the 1710 the Denon has a fair bit more power and also has the better version of Audyssey in XT32 and that can make the difference with music over the 1710.

Marantz employ HDAM circuitry on their upper tier models which is 'tuned' more for music and has always been a strong selling point with Marantz but the slimline 1710 doesn't have the HDAM circuits. The difference between the 1710 and some of the Denons would be marginal.

Is there any reason why you want the slimline models as they are short of power as well when compared the some of the full size Denon and other Marantz models. If you compare the Denon X3600 to the 1710 the Denon has a fair bit more power and also has the better version of Audyssey in XT32 and that can make the difference with music over the 1710.
No particular reason for the slimline, thought that it may not heat up as much as my current Onkyo. Plus, the £150(ish) price difference. I guess you’re gonna suggest that the price difference is worth it?

Even the small Marantz units run toasty as to the vast majority of receivers on the market today. The 1710 has a rated output of 50 watts into 8 ohms with 2 channels driven. That is going to drop considerably when all speakers are in play by at least 30%. Your Onkyo has 100 watts into 8 ohms with 2 channels driven. There is no substitute for power and you may very well miss that 50% overall drop. I would say changing from the Onkyo to the 1710 is a sideways move at best more more likely a backward one in audio quality.

The Denon X3600 has a quoted 105 watts into 8 ohms with 2 channels driven so overall headroom with all channels driven is going to be considerably higher. If you have to drive the Marantz hard to fill your room it will be in danger of clipping on very active sound tracks.

The big difference is the Audyssey onboard. XT32 is far better than the basic XT. The Denon is also far more versatile in having a full set of pre-outs and can do 9 channels out of the box. That means if you wish to venture down the Atmos route a 5.1.4 out of the box is available to you. I would say audio wise that this Denon would be a step in the right direction for audio quality over the Onkyo.

Both Marantz and Denon sit very well with KEF speakers, I run a X6500 with KEF R Series all round and have done with different Denons for quite a few years.

I would keep an eye on the prices of the X3600 and indeed the higher tier X4500 as there will be a new 4600 arriving later this summer, the 3600 will not be renewed this year I believe.

Even the small Marantz units run toasty as to the vast majority of receivers on the market today. The 1710 has a rated output of 50 watts into 8 ohms with 2 channels driven. That is going to drop considerably when all speakers are in play by at least 30%. Your Onkyo has 100 watts into 8 ohms with 2 channels driven. There is no substitute for power and you may very well miss that 50% overall drop. I would say changing from the Onkyo to the 1710 is a sideways move at best more more likely a backward one in audio quality.

The Denon X3600 has a quoted 105 watts into 8 ohms with 2 channels driven so overall headroom with all channels driven is going to be considerably higher. If you have to drive the Marantz hard to fill your room it will be in danger of clipping on very active sound tracks.

The big difference is the Audyssey onboard. XT32 is far better than the basic XT. The Denon is also far more versatile in having a full set of pre-outs and can do 9 channels out of the box. That means if you wish to venture down the Atmos route a 5.1.4 out of the box is available to you. I would say audio wise that this Denon would be a step in the right direction for audio quality over the Onkyo.

Both Marantz and Denon sit very well with KEF speakers, I run a X6500 with KEF R Series all round and have done with different Denons for quite a few years.

I would keep an eye on the prices of the X3600 and indeed the higher tier X4500 as there will be a new 4600 arriving later this summer, the 3600 will not be renewed this year I believe.
Thank you so much, sounds like Denon could be the way forward. May even look at a X2600?

The 2600 is still probably the better option over the Marantz even though it still just has the basic Audyssey XT onboard. Again watch those prices they may start to come down a little in the next few weeks.

The 2600 is still probably the better option over the Marantz even though it still just has the basic Audyssey XT onboard. Again watch those prices they may start to come down a little in the next few weeks.
Thank you

I see the X3600 has 3 outputs, are they all independent I.e. can different source be played through each? Or at least out of 2 of them. Thanks

The latest video from AVForums

TV Buying Guide - Which TV Is Best For You?
Subscribe to our YouTube channel
Back
Top Bottom