Question Marantz NR1609 Atmos - No sound from Atmos speakers

Discussion in 'AV Receivers & Amplifiers' started by DrMAD, Aug 13, 2018.

1. DrMAD

DrMAD
    Novice Member

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +4
    Hello People.. I'm new here so please be gentle!!

I've just set up my first home cinema and have gone for the Marantz NR1609 receiver which appears to be a good compromise between size and sound. I am also using my Xbox One S as a bluray player.

Initial Atmos tests worked well having installed the Dolby Atmos App on the Xbox and set the sound to output in Atmos mode. The Dolby demo files played perfectly and sounded fantastic.

I therefore took the plunge and ordered my first UHD bluray with Atmos Soundtrack, Hacksaw Ridge. I set the audio setting to Dolby Atmos in the menu and the Marantz switched to its Atmos setting. Weirdly though there is no sound coming from the Atmos speakers (I have one set at the front firing up)... I went back to the Dolby App on the Xbox just to check and they are working fine through that.

On the Matantz I can get sound through the Atmos speakers if I change the seting to "Dolby Audio - True HD Neural:X" - what's the difference between this and Atmos? Is there a guide anywhere?

So my main question is.. what settings do I need to make sound come out of the Atmos speakers when the Marantz is set to Atmos setting??

Hope that makes sense and look forward to hearing. Thanks in advance

Dan

2. Nayfne

Nayfne
    Distinguished Member

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +12,020
    Dolby Surround and neural X are upmixes, they will take a sound.format and play it through all the speakers, a pseudo sound.

To access the Atmos soundtrack or DTS-X soundtrack of a blu ray or 4k uhd, make sure your XBOX is set to bitstream out in the audio section.

Also Atmos and DTS-X codecs will not have continuous sound playing from your Atmos/upfiring speakers/ overheads..but you may find that when applying Dolby Surround and neural X to standard soundtracks, that you will get sound coming from these speakers almost continuously, as it's a pseudo upmix. Hope this makes sense?

3. DrMAD

DrMAD
    Novice Member

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +4
    Hi Nayfne,

Thanks for your quick response and also for the explanation re the upmixes too. Kind of makes sense now!

Yes, the Xbox is set to bitstream out in the audio output settings. I have scanned through the film including the battle scenes, which are being praised for their use of Doby Atmos, but still nothing.

Is there anything else to check or try? The Dolby Demo App continues to provide excellent effects yet the bluray doesn't appear to send Atmos. I have tried changing the setting within the Bluray player app to let the receiver decode audio to both on or off and this doesn't help - if turned off then the receiver no longer displays Dolby Atmos so I'm assuing it must be set to 'Let Receiver decode audio signal'

Thansk again

Dan

4. Nayfne

Nayfne
    Distinguished Member

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +12,020
    Hacksaw ridge is a great Atmos disc,.weird that you are not getting anything.

Yes let reciever decode the audio, make sure secondary audio is switched off,.try turning off BD live also. I'm using a Samsung 4k uhd player and also an Xbox one s with a marantz sr6012, I've had no issues with the Xbox and Atmos, I will turn everything on later and have a look at all the settings.

5. DrMAD

DrMAD
    Novice Member

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +4
    Thanks again Nayfne.. I'll have another experiment with settings tonight when I get home. I'm sure I'm missing something obvious!

6. Nayfne

Nayfne
    Distinguished Member

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +12,020
    So these are the settings I use if i use my Xbox for Atmos. 20180814_132216.jpg 20180814_132301.jpg

7. Nayfne

Nayfne
    Distinguished Member

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +12,020
    And this is what shows when I hit the info button on the Marantz SR6012, watching ready player 1 Dolby Atmos. 20180814_132635.jpg 20180814_132725.jpg

8. DrMAD

DrMAD
    Novice Member

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +4
    Awesome thank you! I'm fairly sure the only difference is the BD Live setting. I'll switch mine off tonight and test. When I pressed the info button I was getting Source: Dolby Atmos / Signal: Dolby Atmos/True HD the same as you but my Atmos speakers weren't lit up in the Active Speakers graphic - they were just black with white outlines.

Fingers crossed its the BD Live setting!

9. Nayfne

Nayfne
    Distinguished Member

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +12,020
    Do your upfiring speakers light up when using Dolby Surround and neural X? And do you have them set as Dolby enabled speakers?

10. DrMAD

DrMAD
    Novice Member

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +4
    Hi Nayfne.. well.. I've tried all the suggestions and checked all the settings and have come to the conclusion that it's the Xbox bluray disc player that is the root of the problem. I did briefly have it all working, after uninstalling the player and reinstalling, getting error codes (0x91d7000e), blank screens, frozen screens etc.

So, I need a UHD Blu ray player that can output Atmos and will work with the Marantz... what can you suggest??

Thanks again for your help and I'm sorry that none of the suggestions helped. When I looked up the error code it seems that a lot of people are having similar issues.

11. Nayfne

Nayfne
    Distinguished Member

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +12,020
    Sorry to hear that, it's strange, I've not had a single issue with my Xbox one s when using it as a 4k/Blu Ray player.

As for 4k uhd players, there's plenty on the market, I'm still using the 1st edition Samsung 4k uhd player, all 4k uhd players will be able to bitstream via HDMI, so no worries there, you will get Atmos/DTS-X. Even a standard blu ray player will get you atmos/DTS-X if using the standard blu ray ( not 4k uhd disc) that's encoded with Atmos/DTS-X as they have the ability to bitstream. I guess it's down to what bells and whistles you want on your 4k player.

12. DrMAD

DrMAD
    Novice Member

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +4
    After a bit of digging I have found a strange fix that seems to work 90% of the time. As you insert the disc hold on to it until you hear the mechanism click then let it take the disc. Hey presto no error code and full Dolby Atmos!! I really can't explain it! As Hacksaw Ridge was my first and only 4K disc I have ordered another to see what happens.

If I continue to get errors then I'll send the Xbox back and get a standalone. Shame though as I was quite enjoying Forza Horizon ;)

13. Nayfne

Nayfne
    Distinguished Member

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +12,020
    Keep.the Xbox for gaming and pick up a cheap 2nd hand 4k player, best of.both worlds.