Marantz NR1609 amplifier issues?

camiller

Novice Member
I've had the Marantz NR1609 about 1 1/2 years with an Apple TV 4K providing video content, music, etc. I have all Klipsch References series speakers (R-625FA fronts w/ built-in Almost speakers on top, R-34C center, R-41SA surrounds) with a 12" Velodyne sub. In the past few months I noticed the front left tower was crackling as if a speaker was blown. I swapped it with the right front tower and it played fine with the swapped speaker now displaying the same symptoms. I've reset the receiver, tried different audio/video sources, replaced speaker wire with new banana clips and the problem remains. Is this most likely a hardware issue with potentially an amplifier failing?

I'm likely going to get it repaired but am looking to upgrade to the SR6015 unless someone wants to convince me why I should go Denon instead. :) I realize they are basically the same product but have read enough on her about Denon amps for music that I'm a little hesitant to go down that road.

Thanks for any feedback and/or confirmation on the issue outline above.

ShanePJ

AVForums Sponsor
If you listen to music, then the Marantz will always come out on top over that of the Denon. I would however suggest getting the Marantz repaired as it should still be under warranty as they usually have 24 months. What maybe happening here is you could be driving the tiny slimline unit to hard for the speakers you are working it with and the SR6015 is a step in the right direction to creating a better balanced system to partner with your speakers

camiller

Novice Member
If you listen to music, then the Marantz will always come out on top over that of the Denon. I would however suggest getting the Marantz repaired as it should still be under warranty as they usually have 24 months. What maybe happening here is you could be driving the tiny slimline unit to hard for the speakers you are working it with and the SR6015 is a step in the right direction to creating a better balanced system to partner with your speakers
Thanks for the reply. I first noticed the issue scrolling through the apps/folders on the Apple TV. If you were on the right side of the interface it sounded fine. If you scrolled over to the left side you could tell it didn’t sound right at all. Weirdest thing. I thought maybe the Apple TV had an issue so I swapped it out with a brand new one but the problem remained. I’ll send it in to get it fixed.

The latest video from AVForums

Sony Bravia XR A80J OLED TV Review
Subscribe to our YouTube channel
Support AVForums with Patreon

Top Bottom