Marantz NR1607 with Sky Q 2TB

dillspooch

I have a 4K TV (OLED55E6V AKA: the E6) coupled with a Marantz NR1607. There's the SKy Q 2TB box, a 4K blu-ray player and a games console all connected up via HDMI to the Marantz. Everything works well except for the Sky Q box. It recently got worse after I changed the Sky Q box to a version that supports HDR playback.

What's happening is that when I turn on the Sky Q box, the TV turns on and switches to the correct HDMI port, but no picture is displayed. Switching off the Sky box and back on will sometimes work, but mostly doesn't. The only way I can get it to work is to take the Marantz out of standby so it displays its own screen, then turn off/on the Sky Q box so you see its display, then I can put the Marantz back in standby.

I usually use the TV's speakers because my wife doesn't like the surround sound.

All other devices work perfectly every time through the Marantz. The TV and Marantz receiver are up to date with their firmware.

I'm think of connecting the Sky box directly to the TV, before my wife divorces me, but I'd lose the surround sound when I want to use it for Sky. The Sky box has optical out but the Marantz NR1607 doesn't have an optical in so I can't work around it that way.

Marantz didn't have any advice, just saying that some equipment manufacturers don't implement CEC very well, so blaming Sky effectively.

Is there a way around this?

Attachments

• 1607105266767.png
    1607105266767.png
    1.5 KB · Views: 22

gibbsy

There can be lot of problems with the SkyQ boxes and various makes of receiver. I've had problems with my Denon before. Sky have tried to help with some firmware upgrades but it's still not great. I would take HDMI control and CEC out of the Sky box and the TV. Manually turn on Sky first, then the Marantz by selecting the appropriate input. CEC can often be the devil in disguise.

dillspooch

Thanks gibbsy. I tried that a few weeks back, but the result for me was I could never get a picture to show up!
I just did some more searching and found a possible workaround on the Sky forum here which refers to a Youtube video here hosted by The Tech Giant. It relates to LG OLED TV's displaying the 'no signal' message, which is what I get after turning on the Sky Q box which turns on my LG TV. The advice is to turn off the 'Quick Start+' feature in the LG TV's settings.

I've done that and will see how it goes over the next few days.

parper

Thanks gibbsy. I tried that a few weeks back, but the result for me was I could never get a picture to show up!
I just did some more searching and found a possible workaround on the Sky forum here which refers to a Youtube video here hosted by The Tech Giant. It relates to LG OLED TV's displaying the 'no signal' message, which is what I get after turning on the Sky Q box which turns on my LG TV. The advice is to turn off the 'Quick Start+' feature in the LG TV's settings.

I've done that and will see how it goes over the next few days.
I get a similar issue so interested to hear if that solution works.

simpsod1

I have the same amp and sky q box, albeit a different Samsung TV. I was having constant issues with the amp changing to the TV audio input after about 20 seconds. In the end I disabled the hdmi control on the TV to stop this.

dillspooch

After giving it a few days, I'm happy to report that this really worked for me. I always get a picture from the Sky Q box now (where it goes through the Marantz receiver). So if I'm watching Netflix or Plex using the native app on the LG TV, then press the Home button on the Sky Q remote, I consistently get a Sky Q picture in a few seconds. Kudos to whoever originally found that out.

PS: After turning off Quick Start+ on the LG TV, I turned off the power at the mains socket to Sky, Marantz and turning it back on.

The latest video from AVForums

Movies Podcast: Star Trek in 4K. Is the new boxset worth it?
Subscribe to our YouTube channel
Support AVForums with Patreon

Top Bottom