Question Marantz NR1606 and Power Amp?

terryh

Standard Member
Hoping someone can help?

I would like to add a power amp to my Marantz NR1606, mainly to drive the front speakers that I plan to upgrade. Currently using B&W M1's (MT50) and sub which is fine for my tv/movie needs but lacking for music.

I'm not sure that I can add a power amp as it looks like I can only add an external amp for Zone 2, can anyone advise on this please?

If it is possible to add a power amp to drive the front speakers, I have a pair of Cyrus Monoblocs that are not being used at the moment, would it be possible to use these?

I dont really want to upgrade the amp just yet but will definitely upgrade the front speakers regardless. Options so far are: KEF LS50 / KEF Q350 / B&W 707 S2 / B&W 706 S2. I have listened to the B&W 707 S2's and was very impressed with their range for such a small speaker, but this was in 7oaks using a decent quality dedicated pre/power stereo combo so, understand they wouldn't have the same impact when used with my Marantz. If the only option is to upgrade the AVR, then I will do that but it has to sound good with music as well.

Any help would be greatly appreciated.

Rambles

Distinguished Member
Yes, it can be done with a Marantz NR1606, and should sound pretty good. Use the front pre-outs, see picture, it gave me an excuse to try the new Windows snip and sketch :)

test.png

terryh

Standard Member
Excellent news, thank you 😁. Love the snip and sketch tool as well, will have to try that 👍.

Do you know if I can use my Cyrus Monoblocs? And, do I connect my front speakers to the Monoblocs?

Rambles

Distinguished Member
Yes, you can use your Cyrus monoblocs, a quick google search suggests that they have RCA inputs. So, you will use RCA cables to connect the pre-outs from the Marantz to the input on the power amps. And connect the speakers to the power amps. Then run the auto set-up (Audyssey) on the Marantz to re-calibrate the levels.

Let us know how it goes!

terryh

Standard Member
@Rambles Thank you.

I've got plenty of RCA cable's so no problem there 😁

I'm unsure on how to connect it all up. Having two separate Monoblocs, I can only connect one of them to the pre-outs on the AVR. Do I connect +ve to the first amp and -ve to the second amp then link the two remaining amp terminals? Or, daisy chain the amps?

Rambles

Distinguished Member
No, it's simpler than you think. You connect an RCA cable from left pre-out on the Marantz into the RCA input on one of the Monobloc power amps, and connect your front left speaker to that amp. Then you would repeat the same for the right speaker.

terryh

Standard Member
No, it's simpler than you think. You connect an RCA cable from left pre-out on the Marantz into the RCA input on one of the Monobloc power amps, and connect your front left speaker to that amp. Then you would repeat the same for the right speaker.
Thank you Rambles 👍 I need to get some speakers caes made up for the speaker terminals and will then set them up.

Thanks again for all your help with this. Will let you know when it's all done 😁

Top Bottom