Marantz NR1603 Problem: Shuts down immediately

Discussion in 'AV Receivers & Amplifiers' started by rayzem, Mar 10, 2013.

Tags:
  1. rayzem

rayzem
    Standard Member

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +0
    Hi there,

I have a serious problem with my Marantz NR1603. I just bought it and it ran about 1.5 days. While watching a movie it shut down and the red standy-by LED blinked twice every second... I turned it back on and after 5 minutes it shut down again.

Unfortunatly it never powered up since. Every time the relay "plops" it shuts down and the LED starts to flash.

I had it repaired and the digital board got switched because it was damaged. As soon as I got it back, I hooked it up again and after 10 minutes or so... it shut down again :facepalm:

I have no idea what might be causing the problem... any suggestions? :lease:

Last edited: Mar 10, 2013
  2. rayzem

rayzem
    Standard Member

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +0
    Some additional information might help...

The first the amp broke down it was connected to 5 speakers (Front, Center and Surround), a digital coax connecting the HTPC and the ethernet cable to the router for internet access. The HTPC was hooked up directly to the TV via HDMI. I connected the 1603 to the TV for proper calibration of the speakers with the same HDMI cable and switched it back afterwards (due to the lack of a second HDMI cable).

After the problem occured the frist time I disconnected all the cables from the back and waited a few minutes, then reconnected the power cord only and hit the power button, but it still went into "safe mode".

The second time the amp got fried it everything was connected as before plus HDMI in (HTPC) and HDMI out (TV). During the speaker calibration it suddenly went off... again (app. 10 minutes after I turned it on the first time).

TV (satellite tv, directly connected with the TV, no receiver), router (via cable modem) and amp were connected to the same standard plugbar (no filters, just surge protection). The HTPC is connected to another plugbar (no filters as well, just surge protection).

3. VKS1

VKS1
    Standard Member

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +0
    You have short in your cabling, thats the safety mechanism detecting a short and kicking in.. either that or the fault lies in a dodgy speaker. Better to have the amp running for a decent amount of time until you source out the faulty speaker/cable/connection

4. rayzem

rayzem
    Standard Member

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +0
    Well, I have a Sony amp up and running without any problems with the same setup. It's an older model (STR-DE598) and I don't have any issues with the cables or speakers... but the Marantz might be more sensitive to faulty cables or speakers.

Do you recommend to test the amp without any cable connections? So I just hook it up to the plug and wait an hour to see if the amp breaks down again?

The funny thing is, that anyone who responded - not only here but in other forums and the repairmen - have a different opinion what might cause the problem.

- defective multiplug
    - potential differences between the HDMI devices (HTPC and amp)
    - cable issues
    - broken speaker

The odd thing is, that the amp worked for about 1,5 days straight, no problems. All of a sudden it went off and the problems began...

But I will replace the cables, buy a new multiplug with surge protection and other fancy filters to prevent spikes, connect front speakers only and won't use HDMI for a few days to see if the amp works.

If there are any other suggestions, what might help - please let me know :)