Marantz NR1601: What speakers for best music and films match (£500)?

sirlukas

Established Member
Reaction score
Hi All,

Sorry for opening yet another "what speakers" thread, but I have run out of my main favourite option due to the fact they sold out of MA BR6 5.0 at Quantumelectronics.

I would like to have a very decent stereo speakers as well as (at least) 5.0 set up for movies.

So far my favourite was the above set, but I waited too long and they are all gone.
My budget is max. £500, ideally less.
Room setup is almost squarish at around 4,5m x 5m (maybe), will have to confirm when at home.
I can not find any reviews on (1) Tannoy Mercury F1 Custom 5.1 Set, but they seem to be extremely well priced against rrp at the moment.
Another interesting option I found today is (2) Acoustic Energy Neo 5.1 V1.
Third (3) option is to get second hand MA RS6 that I found on the web and add a very well priced RSLCR centre speaker from my local shop, and then think about getting a sub, as I could use my existing Aiwas as rears for now.

What are your opinions guys, and how well would any of the above pair with the "underpowered" NR1601 (50W)?

PS. Maybe there is a better option in going all plastic set or something, which I actually doubt.

Thank you for all your thoughts!

-- As an eBay Associate, AVForums earns from qualifying purchases --
Try the Q Acoustics 2000. Less than £500, I demoed them with my NR1601 - Awesome

Try the Q Acoustics 2000. Less than £500, I demoed them with my NR1601 - Awesome

Thank you for your input.
I have no auditioned anything with my specific amp, only BX5 with Marantz 6003 (I know different league,) and it was good.
So, I have one vote for "plastic fantastic" speakers, any one else please.

Thanks Martin.
It looks very tempting especially at this price. My worry is how my amp would drive these speakers.
Also, I prefer the looks of MA, but I think I should not bother when the price is concerned.
Can anyone comment on the Tannoys?

Thanks Martin.
It looks very tempting especially at this price. My worry is how my amp would drive these speakers.
Also, I prefer the looks of MA, but I think I should not bother when the price is concerned.
Can anyone comment on the Tannoys?

I believe those Acoustic Energy speakers as well as the RS6 are hard to drive and the marantz isn't exactly a powerhouse....on the otherhand - they are great value for money (seen them on e-bay - its actually cheaper to buy the items individually rather than the full 5.1 package - a mistake perhaps - maybe you could ring to get further discount if you point this out)

If it was me, I would still buy the acoustic energys and then pick up a 2nd hand amp and use both amps to drive the speakers which will free up much needed power. You can pick up an amp with loads of power for £60ish pounds these days. My system is a Yamaha amp driving 3 speakers and a Denon driving the other 2 - picked up the Denon for £60 even though it retailed at circa £1k several years ago - ok, might not be fashionable now but the amplification within is as modern as anything available new...you'll have power to burn if you take this approach.

Thanks soupdragon.
On the other hand CNET review mentions that Marantz is very powerful for its rating and could drive their referene speakers no problems.

My other option is bidding for a set on AVForums here for a set of AE 5.1 Aegis Evo 1 set with KEF sub for very good price.
I can not find any reviews, but I am really tempted to get them.
What do you think?

I took a plunge on Friday and went for the aforementioned AE 5.1 Evo 3 (monsters!) and KEF Coda S sub!
OMG! What a sound, now waiting for the spikes to arrive, as the carpet does not make the speakers stable at all!
I think I have got myself a really nice deal there, and the speakers are definitely pairing very well (although did not Audyssey yet) with my Marantz.

The latest video from AVForums

Is 4K Blu-ray Worth It?
Subscribe to our YouTube channel
Back
Top Bottom