Marantz NR1510 and AppleTV passthrough

kachijs

Established Member
Reaction score
Hi! i recently bought AV receiver and now I'm trying to figure out how to properly set HDMI passthrough mode - ON.

At the moment i have set up everything like this:

WhatsApp Image 2021-08-31 at 11.31.59.jpeg WhatsApp Image 2021-08-31 at 11.32.00.jpeg

As i understand it should be working like this:
i press menu button on AppleTV's remote ->
AppleTV and TV turns ON and TV speakers are being used for sound output.
Receiver stays OFF;

And this is where i have my problem - when everything is ON (receiver, AppleTV and TV) - and i turn everything OFF (standby) and turn everything back ON again (via apple's remote) - receiver is being turned ON (every time). If i turn everything OFF and wait for a bit (~5min) - sometimes receiver is being turned ON and sometimes it stays OFF (as expected).

Is my configuration wrong? Is this some kind of CEC bug?

It is as a result of having HDMI Control (HDMI CEC) turned on. HDMI control will sync the AV receiver's power statuseus with the TV and or the ATV if HDMI Control is also enabled on them.

If you'd rather the ATV not automatically power up the AV receiver, turn HDMI Control off onboard the ATV. In other words, turn the 'Control TVs and Receivers' setting off onboard the ATV.

You may find this of some use:

Last edited:
It is as a result of having HDMI Control (HDMI CEC) turned on. HDMI control will sync the AV receiver's power statuseus with the TV and or the ATV if HDMI Control is also enabled on them.

If you'd rather the ATV not automatically power up the AV receiver, turn HDMI Control off onboard the ATV. In other words, turn the 'Control TVs and Receivers' setting off onboard the ATV.

You may find this of some use:
Turning off Control TVs and Receivers on Apple TV would mean that Apple TV remote wont turn on TV and wont turn it off. I thought that turning HDMI control off on AVR while keeping Conrol TVs and Receivers ON on AppleTV would prevent AppleTV remote from turning AVR on - but it turns on anyways...

Why would you want the ATV's remote to control your TV?

Most people with a home cinema setup would ordinarilly leave HDMI Control off due to the issues it causes. Many opt to use a third party universal remote such as one of LOgitech's Harmony remotes which are far more versatile than HDMI CEC. This is now not really an option anymore though due to Logitech discontinueing their Harmony remotes.

Maybe look at other universal remotes such as the SofaBaton. Such a device will control multiple devices without needing to use HDMI CEC.

HDMI Control would require all the devices in the HDMI chain to have HDMI Control turned on in order for you to be able to use it. Just rurning it on onboard the AATV wouldn't resylt in the ATV having any ability to control any device which had HDMI Control turned off.

Well - my kid is watching movies and she does not care about audio quality - so if some sound is coming out of TV's speaker its alright.

Nothing else is connected to TV except one HDMI connected to AVR. So its convenient if she can turn her stuff on with one remote - AppleTV + TV. Same goes for turning both devices OFF.

At the moment situation is that sometimes AVR turns ON (but it is on different Source - Tuner, Phono) - so i need to teach 5yer old how to switch sources - everything would be just easier if AVR would do HDMI passthrough (every time).

Is my configuration wrong? Is this some kind of CEC bug?
I'm having the exact same issue with the Apple TV 4K as well. It will just turn on the TV and the AVR at the same time.

It's probably one of those "Apple knows it better" things. Doesn't matter that no other streaming device I've tried (several Fire TVs, Nvidia Shield, Roku or the latest Chromecast) behaves in this way.

I've given up on the Apple TV and returned it.

The latest video from AVForums

TV Buying Guide - Which TV Is Best For You?
Subscribe to our YouTube channel
Back
Top Bottom