Marantz NR1509 AV Receiver Review & Comments

Discussion in 'AV Receivers & Amplifiers' started by Phil Hinton, Apr 18, 2019.

1. flashf1

flashf1

Products Owned:
      Products Wanted:
      Ratings:
      +170
      Are you sure about this? I mailed Marantz directly and they "confirmed" that this restriction was only on the NR series, once you went 5013/6013 etc there was full GUI overlay on a 4k screen

2. The_Wierd

The_Wierd

Products Owned:
      Products Wanted:
      Ratings:
      +693
      As far as I can tell, yes, that would work. There are Front L/R pre-outs, even on my older model. There are no details in the manual, other than identifying they exist, and there is no configuration for these so I guess they 'just work'. I assume that the system will just recognise that there are no speakers on the amplified outputs. I will get my new 1609 by the weekend, so I will try it out when I set it up an let you know.

3. Phil Hinton

Phil Hinton
      Editor Staff Member

Products Owned:
      Products Wanted:
      Ratings:
      +9,273
      It was certainly the case with the SR7013 as there was no OSD with 4K content, but there was with HD. I also couldn't find anything in the menu system other than moving the position of the OSD with HD content.

4. RudiSt

RudiSt

Products Owned:
      Products Wanted:
      Ratings:
      +144
      Love the slimline form factor - but I just wish they would boost the power a little bit - I.e to about 80 watts per channel... So it could drive more demanding speakers as well...

If they did a 1610 model with 7.2 and 80w per channel that would be perfect for me. Then I could ditch the massive SR6012 I have now (I only use 7.1), worry less about clearances in my cabinet and perhaps even turn off eco mode... wishful thinking though...

5. dante01

dante01
      Distinguished Member

Products Owned:
      Products Wanted:
      Ratings:
      +11,176
      The fprm factor determines the size of the PSU that can be used within the receiver which in turn would limite the power output you'd expect per channel from a slimline model. The fact that it is a slimline model means it will have a lower wattage per channel in comparison to a bigger receiver with a larger PSU.

6. RudiSt

RudiSt

Products Owned:
      Products Wanted:
      Ratings:
      +144
      True...Just wondering what that limit could possibly be pushed to though... an extra 10 or 20 watts would make a massive difference, even if they perhaps made it a bit deeper to compensate?

7. RudiSt

RudiSt

Products Owned:
      Products Wanted:
      Ratings:
      +144
      But perhaps if it were possible they would have done it already... the Yamaha as-710d does 60w vs the 50w if the marantz, using a similar form factor, so perhaps 70w could be possible if they tried?

Last edited: Apr 23, 2019
    8. Alex P79

Alex P79
      Novice Member

Products Owned:
      Products Wanted:
      Ratings:
      +3
      Hi I would be interested to know how you get on with this. I have a Teac AG - H550 that I use with Celestion AVF302 glass speakers, a Sony centre, Tannoy Mercury MR rears and a BK Gemini II sub. The Teac has been good (except the remote never worked) but lacks modern processing/features and has limited digital inputs which means I get the audio signal from my Leowe Art DR through analogue - I could connect by digital (coax-out only on TV) but rely on the only coax input on the Teac for my Sony Bluray player. Am I correct in thinking that linking the Sony Bluray by HDMI through the Marantz and then to the TV would sort this out and also allow the TV sound to come back to the amp through HDMI - something called ARC?

Also, it will be interesting to know what you think of the Marantz regarding the following:
      1) music - the Celestions really did sound much better for music when I tried them with an Arcam hifi amp rather than the Teac.
      2) how the line level preouts work/can be configured.
      TBH I am surprised by the lack of full preouts (Teac has all channels) of AVRs at this price point nowadays but then I suppose they have so many other features nowadays and something has to give cost wise - the Teac was about £400 15 years ago.

Regards

Alex

9. The_Wierd

The_Wierd

Products Owned:
      Products Wanted:
      Ratings:
      +693
      If your TV supports ARC then yes, TV sound is sent back to the amp by HDMI, but you can also use an optical cable.

Sounds good to me for music, but I'm not really a critical listener, I use mine mostly for TV, movies and games. I guess that's pretty subjective.

The 1609 works same as the older model. Front L/R pre-outs are always active, and can't be configured any other way. So basically if you have a much larger set of fronts than the Marantz can drive, then you can use an additional 2-channel amp to drive those. There are also Zone 2 pre-outs. In the 1609, the additional 2 amplifier channels (compared to 1509) can be used to drive Zone 2 speakers or additional surround channels (Front Height, Top Front or Top Middle for Atmos/DTS 5.1.2, or Surround back for 7.1). Seems that Zone 2 can only output analogue input sources though, so CD or turntable through Phono input.

The only thing I would have liked is va second HDMI output as I use a projector and a TV, but other than that, pretty much perfect for my needs.

10. Alex P79

Alex P79
      Novice Member

Products Owned:
      Products Wanted:
      Ratings:
      +3
      Thanks for the info. I have just checked both the TV and the manual. The TV is a Loewe Art 40 Full HD version. HDMI input 1 is labelled with ARC and checking the manual does suggest the TV supports both audio in and out through this connection. I take it that this is effectively a digital audio out. This would be handy as, being a smart TV, we watch most content through Freeview or the built-in internet - would be nice for it to be digital to the amp. I have checked the TV and no optical outputs I am afraid, just one digital coax (RCA). Unfortunately the TEac predates HDMI. I suppose a cheaper option would buy a coax to optical converter (the Teac has a spare optical input) if such a thing exists and, if so, works properly? The thing is, at the price of the Marantz, especially the 5 speaker version, could it be time to upgrade rather than muck about with connectors? I don't think I really need the 7 channel version unless it gains much more than the atmos channels. Is this the case?

11. The_Wierd

The_Wierd

Products Owned:
      Products Wanted:
      Ratings:
      +693
      Compared to the 1509, the 1609 adds 2 channels of amplification, Dolby Atmos, 2 extra HDMI inputs and legacy video inputs (Component and composite with upscaling to HDMI). Sounds like the 1509 may be enough for your needs.

12. Darren Heal

Darren Heal

Products Owned:
      Products Wanted:
      Ratings:
      +8

First part: probably. If the 1509 has RCA outs for FL and FR channels feed those into the RCA Aux channels on the back of the Dev. If the Dev. has inputs that bypass the volume knob use those instead. That way the receiver controls the volume from the Dev. You set the levels in th receiver and then you don't have to keep adjusting the volume knobs on both as you turn things up or down.

Second point. It seems you're a bit of an audiophile so keep all your music sources connected to the Dev. Believe me, AVRs really arent that good at playing "proper stereo" music even today.

Third point. Consider the 1609. It gives 5.2.2 meaning you could have three fronts, two sides and two backs or 3 fronts, 2 sides or backs and two Atmos overheads or (shudder) ceiling-bouncers.

13. Darren Heal

Darren Heal

Products Owned:
      Products Wanted:
      Ratings:
      +8
      Or step up to the 1609, or as I did step up and back to the 1608.

On Amazon US the 1509 is US$549.95, the 1609 is $749 and the 1608 is $499. The only thing the 1609 has over the 1608 is, perhaps and I'm not sure, better Alexa integration - so everyone at Amazon can listen to you bopping out to your Sheena Easton CDs - and a $200 price uplift. Both have HEOS.

Here's mine.

Attached Files:

14. Heber

Heber
      Novice Member

Products Owned:
      Products Wanted:
      Ratings:
      +0
      Hi guys, my PM 5005 (Marantz integrated amp) just died on me. I was thinking of replacing for this receiver for the many features, including the Digital Inputs. Do you think I'd loose too much sound quality for stereo by going to the receiver? I'd use it mainly for stereo music and TV.
      Thanks!

15. Darren Heal

Darren Heal

Products Owned:
      Products Wanted:
      Ratings:
      +8
      Not trying to be a high snob but the 5005 is a relatively modest integrated amp, so the 1509 might sound just as good.

That having been said if there's a retail price target of £500 and an AVR requires all sorts of HDMI inputs, decoding chips (and payment presumably of a licencing fee for the codecs to decode those digital sources) that leaves quite a bit less money to put into the analogue sides of things, that is the hifi part.

So my suspicion is that pound for pound an AVR still won't sound as good for playing, say, CDs as the same price high amp will.

That having been said of course, if you're listening on a pair of cheap speakers from Argos hooked up using doorbell wire it won't make any difference at all.

Only thing to do is go to your local hifi shoppe and try to demo both side by side and decide for yourself.

16. Heber

Heber
      Novice Member

Products Owned:
      Products Wanted:
      Ratings:
      +0
      Thanks so much Darren for the reply. I ended up getting an Emotiva integrated which is not so distant in sound quality with a good price!
      All my best!

17. figrin_dan

figrin_dan

Products Owned:
      Products Wanted:
      Ratings:
      +170
      Great review! I have the previous 1608, upgraded from the 1502. Both have given me hours of trouble with the centre channel and subwoofer. I use a pretty old Tannoy Mercury setup and assume that must be the problem. Whatever the source I have to fiddle with those two channels to stop the sub booming and having the dialogue lost within the sound of the main channels. Occasionally soundtracks sound amazing but mostly they sound just ok after lots of fiddling. Stereo music is also never impressive with the sub having to be practically off to stop it overpowering everything else.

If it's down to my old speakers, does anyone have a suggestion of what (budget) front speakers might match this amp better?

Thanks for any help.

18. dante01

dante01
      Distinguished Member

Products Owned:
      Products Wanted:
      Ratings:
      +11,176
      Is Dynamic EQ by any chance engaged? If so then try it with it turned off.

19. figrin_dan

figrin_dan

Products Owned:
      Products Wanted:
      Ratings:
      +170
      It's off. Most things I can turn off are off!

20. Alex P79

Alex P79
      Novice Member

Products Owned:
      Products Wanted:
      Ratings:
      +3
      Just an update on my query above. The solution was rather obvious really - HDMI output to TV and then coaxial digital cable (Ecosse THe Producer - does the job brilliantly and good value) from the TV's coaxial digital out to the coaxial digital input of the Teac AV amp - works perfectly and sounds good. Might help someone in a similar situation.