Marantz NR1509 AV Receiver Review & Comments

This may be home theater sacrilege, but at the current prices, it's about the cheapest way of expanding your HEOS zones. I was considering it to replace my old amp that drives my Kitchen speakers.

Good review Phil. I was considering this, since you mentioned it in the podcast the other week, to replace my damaged denon 2400 due to the reduced size but the other half isn't keen and wants another atmos capable avr so we can upgrade in future.
Personally I'm not fussed, I'd prefer something that is slimmer, but I just do as I'm told.
Looks like we're getting the avr-x2500h instead

Good review Phil. I was considering this, since you mentioned it in the podcast the other week, to replace my damaged denon 2400 due to the reduced size but the other half isn't keen and wants another atmos capable avr so we can upgrade in future.
Personally I'm not fussed, I'd prefer something that is slimmer, but I just do as I'm told.
Looks like we're getting the avr-x2500h instead

The slimline 7 channel Marantz NR1609 does Atmos and DTS:X.

Hi Phil, excellent review, and one I've been anticipating for a long time (I'm currently a 1504 user).
I went through your review looking for whether the 1509 was able to overlay its OSD on a 4K HDR input. If I'm reading it correctly, the spec sheet suggests it can't, but your review didn't pick that out as a negative.
Any comment on this?

Hi Phil, excellent review, and one I've been anticipating for a long time (I'm currently a 1504 user).
I went through your review looking for whether the 1509 was able to overlay its OSD on a 4K HDR input. If I'm reading it correctly, the spec sheet suggests it can't, but your review didn't pick that out as a negative.
Any comment on this?
There is no OSD with 4K. It's the same on the higher end models as well as I have just finished looking at the SR7013.

Marantz are missing a big opportunity with these slimline units.

There is junk on this unit and even more so on the NR1609 that can be dropped and more important items added.

Drop the radio - no-one is going to use it.

On the NR1609 drop the component inputs/outputs - very few if anyone still use it.

With the extra space add to the NR1609 (possibly NR1509 if cost permits) pre-outs. Thus making these possible slimline processor units where you can add some nice amplification on the back end.

We have had recent reviews how relatively cheap 7 channel power amp is much better than premium av receiver amplification.

So instead of having two monster units you could have one of these slimline units and your monster power-amp.

I've got the older version of this excellent 7 channel receiver and I am very impressed. More than enough power for you average sized living room. I currently listen at no higher than -20dB unless it's an Atmouse track then that I turn it up to -15dB.

Last edited by a moderator:
Got one of those in my office, cos yeah, I need Atmos when i'm working from home ...
(Relatively) big step in price between the two - These were as low as £290 when I was looking a month or so ago vs my 1609 at £440. These are amazing value if you don't need Atmos.

Last edited:
Marantz are missing a big opportunity with these slimline units.

There is junk on this unit and even more so on the NR1609 that can be dropped and more important items added.

Drop the radio - no-one is going to use it.

On the NR1609 drop the component inputs/outputs - very few if anyone still use it.

With the extra space add to the NR1609 (possibly NR1509 if cost permits) pre-outs. Thus making these possible slimline processor units where you can add some nice amplification on the back end.

We have had recent reviews how relatively cheap 7 channel power amp is much better than premium av receiver amplification.

So instead of having two monster units you could have one of these slimline units and your monster power-amp.
I've never really thought about it in this way because the 16 series gives me everything I need so a little fat here or there doesn't bother me. But interesting none the less.

I own the 1508 which is almost identical and I am very happy with it for music in PLII and movies.

The only concern I would note about these slim avr from the Marantz/Denon stable is that they are a little deeper than the similar priced taller Denon avrs.

I really like my 1508 for movies and Spotify connect. I do however run the two front speakers through the PM8005 using HT pass through for better 2 channel sound.

The 1509 and 1609 are currently available at run-out/end-of-life prices, ready for their expected replacements next month.

I have the older NR1602, which is pre-4K, but it sounds great to me - fills our small living room to neighbour-annoying volume. I don't think I can squeeze Atmos speakers in the room, so I probably don't need the 1609, but the 1509 is pretty tempting at £300.

The 1509 and 1609 are currently available at run-out/end-of-life prices, ready for their expected replacements next month.
Kind of tempting but there doesn't seem to be much difference between the 06 and 09 series.

Have always loved these slimline Marantz units- thanks for the detailed review.

The thing I really love about Marantz is that they provided a Dolby Vision upgrade to my 3 year old receiver. That kind of thing helps with loyalty.

We've got the 1608 predecessor to this one's bigger sister, driving a modest 5.2.1 Atmos setup in the living room. It's perfectly fine for Netflix etc. but for the full movie effect we prefer the full size 7010 driving a 7.2.4 setup in our movie room.

As well as TV and can't be ahemed to go upstairs movie watching we use the radio and for FLAC replay via a portable hard disk plugged into the USB socket.

When I figure out how I'm going to use the network connection to replay off the HTPC or our home server.

What pushed us (me) to get the 1608 over a full size 9 channel box was its slimline design. Later I'm going to add some hidden slimline modest power amps for muzak in the dining room and out on the patio. The RCA level outputs will work great for that and shouldn't be overlooked.

Last edited:
The main drawbacks with these slimline receivers are twofold and would easily be solved with relatively low cost chip updates and firmware programming.

First they don't decode extra channels so you're limited to a 5.? or 7.? system. You can't expand to a 7.? or 9.? surround sound system by adding an external power amp. Also there are no extra RCA output sockets for the task.

Second, if you want to use them for muzak service, e.g. living room and dining room, the Zone 2 / Zone B output cuts off the last two surround sound channels. In my case, using a 1608, I wanted to use my four in-ceilings (one pair are for Atmos, the second pair for surround sides / rears) in the living room and another pair (or two) for the dining room and / or patio, as the "front three" all go to a passive 3-way sound bar under the TV. The sound bar is fine for TV but pretty lousy for music, and so for muzak I wanted to use my in-ceilings. Late night rocking out is a separate issue entirely. A simple firmware modification to enable the user to decide which channels get sacrificed for the second zone and / or an "amp assign" capability could fix this.

First they don't decode extra channels so you're limited to a 5.? or 7.? system. You can't expand to a 7.? or 9.? surround sound system by adding an external power amp. Also there are no extra RCA output sockets for the task.

All full sized receivers at this price point would also lack this ability. You only start getting this with the more rxpensive 9 channel higher tier models. The cheapest model you can get that includes this ability would be the 9 channel Marantz SR6012 from last year or its current incarnation the SR6013. If wanting a 7 channel model able to do this then you are talking big money with receives from the likes of Arcam or NAD.

Second, if you want to use them for muzak service, e.g. living room and dining room, the Zone 2 / Zone B output cuts off the last two surround sound channels. In my case, using a 1608, I wanted to use my four in-ceilings (one pair are for Atmos, the second pair for surround sides / rears) in the living room and another pair (or two) for the dining room and / or patio, as the "front three" all go to a passive 3-way sound bar under the TV. The sound bar is fine for TV but pretty lousy for music, and so for muzak I wanted to use my in-ceilings. Late night rocking out is a separate issue entirely. A simple firmware modification to enable the user to decide which channels get sacrificed for the second zone and / or an "amp assign" capability could fix this.

This would be the case with any AV receiver that you instigate a second powered audio zone with. The 2 additional speakers in the additional zone have to be powered by something so you hace to assign the amplification otherwise intended to power speakers in the main room to power them with. You could always use the receiver's zone 2 pre outs onboard a model that has second audio zone capabilities and an external 2 channel amp though and this would allow you to have an additional zone without having to sacrifice speakers in your main zone setup. This isn't specific to slimline models and is the same irrespective of the AV receiver. Also note that the NR1509 is only a 5 channel receiver and as such has no ability to reassign 2 of its internal amps to power second zone speakers with. Only AV receivers with at least 7 integral channels of amplification include multi zone audio abilities. You only get this ability in association with receivers with at least 7 internal integral channels of amplification, full sized or slimline. It does however include HEOS which would allow it to be integrated into a multi zone audio setup in conjunction with other HEOS enabled devices and speakers.

Last edited:
@dante01:

Yes I know all that and those are my points exactly.

One pays a premium for the slimline models compared to equivalent "full size" models, and to compensate for that and / or to encourage more purchases I am suggesting more versatility could be built in. The cost of an extra 2 channel decoding chip and / or the firmware modifications in either the 5 or 7 channel variants would be peanuts and could easily be compensated for by dropping the number of HDMI inputs by one or by removing obsolescent input jacks. No need for extra internal power amps. The user could buy a modest 2 channel power amp for about $100 and up here, maybe £120 in the UK, as and / or when needed.

Last edited:

The latest video from AVForums

Is Home Theater DEAD in 2024?
Subscribe to our YouTube channel
Back
Top Bottom