Marantz NR1506 no Dolby Vision

Xexets

Established Member
Reaction score
Hello! I cannot get Dolby Vision to work through my Marantz NR1506, maybe you can help.
Setup:
- NVidia Shiled pro 2019 (Dolby vision ready)
- Marantz NR1506 - updated to latest firmware (Dolby vision ready)
- Philips 55OLED754 (Dolby vision compatible)

2 HDMI cables (Amazon Basics and Generic): tested both to connect Nvidia shiled directly to TV and Dolby Vision works fine.

I tried:
- Swapping these two cables
- Update and reset Marantz via USB firmware
- Fiddle with the (few) HDMI settings on the Marantz
- Plugged the Nvidia Shiled to all ports at the back of the Marantz
- Pugged the Marantz to other HDMI ports in the TV

The only thing I have still to do is use entirely different cables, I’ll get them tomorrow via Amazon prime.

I can’t get Dolby vision to work. When the Nvidia shield is plugged to the TV via the NR1506 it shows as only compatible output 4K+HDR ready.
If I plug it straight in the TV it gives as compatible output 4K+HDR ready+Dolby Vision.

Can someone please help?

Thank you!

Hi! The TV arrived today. It’s absolutely stunning. I can’t say much more though because I come from 1080p old tv... So far so good, well worth the money! Only thing I cannot get My Marantz NR1506 to send it DOlby Vision signal, but that’s for another forum!
Other than this it’s another world. Things just look... as they should!
How are you actually testing if Dolby Vision works though? The indicator on the shield perhaps isn't telling the whole story. You'd need to actually play back some Dolby Vision content and then it should switch in to Dolby Vision mode.

The same should happen if you play HDR10 content and it switches to vanilla HDR10 mode.

Or HDR10+ and HDR10+ mode.

The easiest way to test it will be with Netflix, an UHD subscription and a dolby vision title.

If it doesn't work, then you must make sure UHD colour is enabled both on the TV and the receiver. Sometimes it has different names on different devices

On Philips:
HDMI - UHD  (Home) > Settings > General settings > Input sources > HDMI (port) > HDMI Ultra HD This TV can display Ultra HD signals. Some devices - connected with HDMI - do not recognise a TV with Ultra HD and might not work correctly or show distorted picture or sound. To avoid the malfunctioning of such a device, you can set the signal quality to a level the device can handle. If the device is not using Ultra HD signals, you can switch off Ultra HD for this HDMI connection. • The setting Optimal allows maximum up to Ultra HD (50Hz or 60Hz) RGB 4:4:4 or YCbCr 4:4:4/4:2:2/4:2:0 signals. • The setting Standard allows maximum up to Ultra HD (50Hz or 60Hz) YCbCr 4:2:0 signals.
From the manual here: https://www.download.p4c.philips.com/files/5/55oled754_12/55oled754_12_dfu_eng.pdf

On the Marantz receiver its called "Enhanced" under 4k signal format. Instructions here: HDR PASSTHROUGH NOT WORKING

You may wonder why it doesn't work without changing settings whilst it does when directly connected, but it may be an error in the auto negotiation at either side.

Its also worth getting in touch with Philips and Marantz for support too.

Thanks!
The way I am testing:
- under settings the shield has a display output selector. When connected directly to the tv it shows as available mode 4K 60hz HDR+ and Dolby vision (one line). In this case when I open Netflix on Netflix original shows it displays the Dolby vision logo and when I playback the tv shows the Dolby vision indicator.
When connected through the AVR the same setting says 4K 60hz HDR ready. Netflix displays on the same shows only HDR and playback does not trigger the Dolby vision logo on the TV.

- AVR does not have anywhere a HDR option (Dolby vision and HDR+ supported through firmware update). TV automatically detects Dolby vision or hdr+ content without additional settings.

any clue what can I do to fix this?
Thanks!

OP did you manage to resolve the issue? I have the same problem but with a different AVR. I'm now thinking the Philips TV is the problem...

Hi! - I actually ended up replacing the AVR (not for this reason). I noticed one thing about my Philips TV that might be of help. EVERY single time I unplug it for whatever reason (power cuts, etc) the HDMI advanced setting reverts to standard instead of optimal. When in standard it does not accept Dolby Vision content (the AVR detects the TV as DV incompatible). as soon as you put that back to optimal DV works. Perhaps that's the issue?

Interesting...what AVR are you using now and on which HDMI port? I have a Q90 soundbar and the dv passthrough detection is the other way round with me!
Standard = 30hz dv only
Optimal = no dv at all

That is quite interesting! So you have Source -> Soundbar -> TV or Source ->TV -> ARC soundbar ?

I Have a Denon 3600H now.

Mind you one of the things that really did the trick for me was to swap HDMI cables. I found that it’s very sensible to different cables, and it’s just guesswork which ones work and which ones don’t. I was consistently successful only with the Audioquest Pearl ones. Amazon Basic ones worked well too for some reason.

I have source -> AVR -> TV (on HDMI 1). I checked and it does not make a difference on which TV port I plug it.

When I plugged Source -> TV directly with Optimal never had an issue with DV content.

Hope this helps!

My setup is Source -> Soundbar -> TV. I'm using 8k rdy belkin cables all round.

I've logged support tickets with Philips and Samsung. The Q90r doesn't officially support dv so I'm not too hopeful, but maybe a firmware update for either party will inadvertently fix the problem.

Thanks for your help.

Silly question I guess you already tried source-> TV direct connection?

Hi yes connecting the shield directly to TV gave me 60hz dolby vision immediately, so I do believe the soundbar may be the issue.

Thanks

It's 100% the soundbar. If you say it's not DV compatible then you've got the culprit. Can you connect Shield -> HDMI2 TV -> HDMI 1 ARC soundbar ? This way the TV will pass the audio through and get DV from the shield? You'll lose lossless audio passthrough though

This method works as expected but as you said, it's at the expense of lossless audio. Frustrating but hopefully a fix will appear in the near future. Fingers crossed!

Hi, having issue with NR1506 firmware, restart factory setting however network, Bluetooth and setup assistant grayed out. Suspect firmware corrupted, wanted to install thought USB update however do not have the firmware. Do you all have the soft copy of the firmware? Marantz have close their firmware download support website few years ago. Can't download anymore.

The latest video from AVForums

Is 4K Blu-ray Worth It?
Subscribe to our YouTube channel
Back
Top Bottom