Question Marantz NR1504 help please

Pat boon

Novice Member
Reaction score
Hello, looking for some help with my amp if anyone would be so kind.

Had a Marantz NR1504 for a couple of years and it worked great for my PS4 and tv as I had them both connected by HDMI to the Marantz and then one HDMI running back to the tv to provide the picture.
Recently purchased a Samsung Qled tv and unfortunately this setup is no longer possible.

So I got an optical cable to connect the tv to the amp and connected the PS4 to the tv by hdmi.
Set the amp to tv audio.
Went in to the amps options/inputs and assigned digital optical to the tv audio.
Also changed the tv audio output to optical.

Unfortunately I can’t get any sound to work at all for the tv or PS4.
I’m sure the optical cable works as the tv and amp are connected.
The tv remote volume buttons will adjust the amp volume.
The tv automatically renamed the hdmi channel as NR1504.
Also there is a red light emitted from the cable when connected to the tv, PS4 or Apple TV.

I’ve tried connecting the PS4 and Apple TV directly to the amp by the optical cable but still no sound.
All this points to the amp being the problem.
Thinking I’ve missed an option in the settings somewhere.
I do have anynet+ switched on in the tv settings.

I’ve also tried using a HDMI ARC connection.
Again the tv and amp seem to talk to each other but no sound output.
I’ve double checked the speakers work with the original setup by hdmi for the PS4 and the speakers are working fine.

Can only think the issue is with the amp but seems weird that it would be both the optical and hdmi arc connections when everything else on it works fine and it hasn’t had much use.
Hopefully I’ve explained it fairly clearly and this is the correct place to post.
Happy to provide any more information needed and updates for any suggestions.

If anyone can solve this problem I will make a donation to the charity of your choice.

Thanks for taking the time to read.

What about the settings on the PS4 and Apple TV. Are you asking it to output sound that isn't supported by optical?

Try setting it to stereo and seeing if that works, then building from there.

What about the settings on the PS4 and Apple TV. Are you asking it to output sound that isn't supported by optical?

Try setting it to stereo and seeing if that works, then building from there.

Thanks for reading!
Yeah I've tried every different sound output option on the PS4, tv and apple tv.

Optical, stereo, bitstream, linear pcm etc with no luck

I have the same model as you and I have tried a Toslink SPDIF from my TV and Virgin V6 box to it. I just had to do the setting you mentioned where you set the TV audio input to optical using that matrix interface in the settings. After that mine works so I would say it may be an issue with your receiver especially as you've now tested 2 sources.

Let me know if you want me to try anything out on my receiver. I've had it for a while now but only just setup my 5.1 surround speakers so have spent many recent hours scratching my head and trying to get things working on this device.

The latest video from AVForums

Is 4K Blu-ray Worth It?
Subscribe to our YouTube channel
Back
Top Bottom