Marantz NR1501 - no sound at all??

placenta

Standard Member
Reaction score
Marantz NR1501 - no sound at all??

I just need some real basics.. I have set up a few home theatre in my life, but never had HDMI on my receiver before.

50" Samsung Plasma
Marantz NR1501
Comcast Cable TV
Samsung Bluray Player

HDMI cable from my 2 devices to receivers 2 inputs. (DSS and Bluray). One HDMI cable from receiver out to TV.

I simply cannot get any sound out of the receivers speaker inputs at all, on both bluray and TV input. The picture works fine. I can't understand it. I have already tried the HDMI output setting on the receiver in both ON/OFF settings.

I can't believe there is anything wrong with the receiver, I only bought it yesterday.

Did you run auto-setup? Do you get sound when you run a speaker test?

I might have pressed auto setup when no speakers were connected by accident. I'll try test tone feature when I'm home in a few hours. Thanks for the tips.

got it working. didnt really change anything. just reset my devices a few times to get a better handshake.

Not sure about this sound... i mean its 10X better than the TV speakers. but maybe not as "full" as i was expecting. I gotta remember my receiver is only 50W per channel..

And the 8" sub i bought way overpowers everything else, i have to keep it way low.

I'll say it.. every Bose theatre package I've heard sounds better than this... crisper. punchier. I coulda put my $1000 towards that instead.

theatre.jpg

Sorry to hear you don't like the sound from your new setup but have you actually run the auto setup or manually calibrated it?

yes, i ran the auto setup with mic.. the problem isnt really the system. its my room. 25 ft ceilings and no carpet anywhere. reflections everywhere. just too much space to fill.

I'll be trying to redesign my system this weekend. Maybe up my budget a little bit, but still keep it simple. And not spend more than that room will allow me to utilize..

Thinking ONLY 2 speakers. Stereo only. But 2 channel receivers are hard to come by. Do I just get a 5.1 receiver and only use 2 channels, or for the same money can i get a better 2 channel receiver?

Then i want 2 decent floor speakers, but im pretty picky about look also, even if it means nothing. I want a clean layout. I've had McIntosh/Sinfoni amps, Focal/Dynaudio speakers in my cars, so im no stranger to some higher quality components.

I am giving this receiver a bit of a looksie:
Harman Kardon HK 3490 Stereo Receiver $449.99

Problem is.. are stereo receivers way harder to hook up to your cable TV and Bluray, like more wiring?

Here is the cavernous space I am working with:

Img_3678.jpg

If you only want a stereo setup, it would make sense to get a stereo amp. Stereo amps (or receivers) don't tend to have optical inputs. I know that some HK models did but don't know if the model you mentioned does. If it doesn't, you can either hook up via analogue or if you're chasing perfection, look at external DACS in between your digital sources. This might be of benefit to the Bluray but for TV viewing, I personally wouldn't bother.

I would recommend visiting a dealer and having a listen to some stereo amps partnered with some floorstanders.

If you do plan on going 5.1, then you will have to get an AV Receiver but bear in mind that you could get an AV Receiver in the future with front pre-out connections thereby using the stereo amp to drive the fronts. The AV Receiver would drive the centre and rears and output to the subwoofer. I used to use such a setup using an Arcam/Yamaha then Arcam/Denon combo. Obviously you could just get an AV Receiver if you want a one-box solution and 'clean' look but it is obvious from what you're working with and what you've heard so far, that you will need a powerful receiver and speakers to fill that space. I would also look at the room acoustics.

Go and visit a dealer.

well i want a stereo amp to keep it simple.. but it will be used for TV and Bluray.. probably never music. So does that destroy all reasoning for getting a stereo amp? I just want the most simple system possible, with the least wiring, rather than buy a 6 speaker system with a mess everywhere.

I came home with my new gear. A simple Yamaha 5.1 RX-V371 receiver. (Though with more wattage than the Marantz supposedly)

Then I listened to a lot of floor speakers, including the Klipsche and Polk towers in the normal Best Buy side. I then went to Magnolia to give them a fair chance at pulling me elsewhere.

The second I heard the Monitor Audio floor speakers, I knew I had to have them. I got the Bronze BX5 edition. The were asking $375 ea and I got them to $350.. Small discounts better than none. I had auditioned the Definitive Audio smaller floor standers, with dual 4"s and dual radiators COMBINED with a sub. These Monitor Audios ALONE blew them away 3 fold. Some amazing sound quality I heard from them.

I hope I am happy with this start to a system.

These are the best speakers I have ever heard personally. So transparent, so invisible, so light. Yet so much bass I wont add a subwoofer for a while.

newtheater.JPG

added a sub to finish it off.

i bought back the same sub i bought previously for $399. but i got it open box this time for $279. I told them and they knew very well, but they still gave me the deal. i didnt do it on purpose..

newtheater3.jpg

I guess this is the wrong thread title now...

but I'm auditioning some of my CD's in stereo mode with the subwoofer. The sound quality is excellent to my ears. I have never heard anything so pure.

I guess this is the wrong thread title now...

but I'm auditioning some of my CD's in stereo mode with the subwoofer. The sound quality is excellent to my ears. I have never heard anything so pure.

your setup looks really nice are you planning on keeping it 3.1? i'm getting the monitor audio bx center soon myself and may keep my setup 3.1 to.

your setup looks really nice are you planning on keeping it 3.1? i'm getting the monitor audio bx center soon myself and may keep my setup 3.1 to.

yes, i have zero plans to add any surrounds. mostly because of space and mess, but also because it sounds incredible. i like as clean a setup as possible.

until they make 100% wireless surrounds, i wont be getting any. that means no "rear amp" to power.. just plug in remote module behind my receiver.. then turn on the surrounds and they work. That is the only way i will ever get surround speakers.

Wireless rears will always require so kind of power supply to them otherwise how else will they work. Hence it would appear you will be sticking with 3.1.

The latest video from AVForums

TV Buying Guide - Which TV Is Best For You?
Subscribe to our YouTube channel
Back
Top Bottom