Marantz NR1501 / 1601

JonnyEmm

Standard Member
Reaction score
Hi,

I am looking to purchase a marantz slimline receiver and am trying to gauge opinion on what I should do. This will be paired with my newly acquired MA BR5AV speakers and have heard this receiver should be a decent match.

The main reason I'm buying this though is my cabinet size and I know the real answer might be get another cabinet, I don't think I'll get that past the better half.

Anyway - I am looking at the prices of the NR1501 which have dramatically dropped due to the upcoming release of the NR1601. Can anyone give advice as to when the 1601 is to be released ? and whether they think it would be worth the wait / additional cost of getting one ? or should I just buy the NR1501.

I quite like the thought of HDMI pass through in standby on the newer model, is there anything else worth waiting for :)

cheers,

Jonny.

Hi,

I am looking to purchase a marantz slimline receiver and am trying to gauge opinion on what I should do. This will be paired with my newly acquired MA BR5AV speakers and have heard this receiver should be a decent match.

The main reason I'm buying this though is my cabinet size and I know the real answer might be get another cabinet, I don't think I'll get that past the better half.

Anyway - I am looking at the prices of the NR1501 which have dramatically dropped due to the upcoming release of the NR1601. Can anyone give advice as to when the 1601 is to be released ? and whether they think it would be worth the wait / additional cost of getting one ? or should I just buy the NR1501.

I quite like the thought of HDMI pass through in standby on the newer model, is there anything else worth waiting for :)

cheers,

Jonny.

yeah it comes out in july what its got over the nr1501 is the added USB input with ipod digital interface, Audyssey multEQ and Audyssey Dynamic Volume and EQ.

hope this helps you a little i actually own the nr1501 and it is very good.:smashin:

Hi Mark,

Thanks for the reply, if the 1601 is going to be available in the UK in July I think I'll definitely wait to see what they are like :)

And im guessing seeing as you mention them the additional Audyssey features will be worth paying that little extra for than the 1501.

Cheers,

Jonny.

Hi Mark,

Thanks for the reply, if the 1601 is going to be available in the UK in July I think I'll definitely wait to see what they are like :)

And im guessing seeing as you mention them the additional Audyssey features will be worth paying that little extra for than the 1501.

Cheers,

Jonny.
glad to be of help.:)

Let's hope they implement Audessy better than on the 6004 etc, whereby, Audessy Dynamic EQ (if the 16101 includes that) can be applied at the same time as decoding bitstreamed HD audio. It can't be on the 6004 etc, and you have to send HD audio as LPCM if you want to use Audessy Dynamic EQ.

Let's hope they implement Audessy better than on the 6004 etc, whereby, Audessy Dynamic EQ (if the 16101 includes that) can be applied at the same time as decoding bitstreamed HD audio. It can't be on the 6004 etc, and you have to send HD audio as LPCM if you want to use Audessy Dynamic EQ.

Hi,

I am not an audiophile in anyway so the above doesnt really make a lot of sense to me :-(

Im presuming LPCM is a compressed form of bit stream which will result in loss of data = sound quality whilst being processed through the receiver.

If so does anyone have the definitive answer to above.

Cheers,

Jonny.

LPCM is the decoded version of the HD bitstreamed audio, so is fully HD and there is no loss in quality.

There is no real reason why the player shouldn't decode the HD bitsreamed audio and send it to the amp, and the quality will be the same. There is a potential problem in that older blueray players couldn't decode all the HD bitstream audio codecs and there has been the odd BR player, that though it could decode them, had a problem sending one of them if it saw that the amp could decode bitstreamed HD audio.

The current Marantz amps that have Audessy can't decode bitstreamed audio and run Audessy Dynamic EQ at the same time. Hence, you have to send HD audio as LPCM if you want to use Audessy Dynamic EQ Some people think it is due to lack of processing power, some think it is something Marantz have chosen to do.

Whatever it is, they're the only AV amp manufacturer that uses Audessy that has this limitation and causes confusion because it isn't the 'norm' for AV amps.

I'm hoping they fix this issue in the 2010-2011 models

Hi,

Thanks for the explanation !

I am going to be playing blue ray through my PS3 slim, hope this doesnt make you cringe :) which I believe can be set to send either decoded or standard bitsream in its settings.

I did see something weird in the NR1601 spec on a web site. Which stated it was DLNA compliant and had a ethernet port. I think neither of these statements are true, as before if anyone can confirm this it would be appreciated.

Thanks again Dicklodge !

Jonny.

Last edited:
I want a Marantz NR1601 too. I've currently got a Yamaha RX-V3800 which is about 10 miles wide x 10 miles deep x 5 miles high. Well maybe I exaggerated there; it's actually ONLY 435 x 439 x 171mm. It fits in my AV Unit, but that's only because that's a monster too. I want to go down the route of 'less is more' as my living room ain't that big.

Although the NR1501 is going for a very tempting £300 just now, USB playback (audio, photos + Video?) and HDMI passthru are essential for me. If it had a phono stage it would be perfect, but I can live with using an external pre-amp.

I want a Marantz NR1601 too. I've currently got a Yamaha RX-V3800 which is about 10 miles wide x 10 miles deep x 5 miles high. Well maybe I exaggerated there; it's actually ONLY 435 x 439 x 171mm. It fits in my AV Unit, but that's only because that's a monster too. I want to go down the route of 'less is more' as my living room ain't that big.

Although the NR1501 is going for a very tempting £300 just now, USB playback (audio, photos + Video?) and HDMI passthru are essential for me. If it had a phono stage it would be perfect, but I can live with using an external pre-amp.

Does anyone have a release date for the NR-1601. I have seen one site claiming July, but can someone confirm when these are available to buy in the uk.

Cheers,

Jonny.

I just called SevenOaks, Glasgow, and they confirmed they're stocking it, but they're not sure when and for how much.

Hi All,

I feel like Im hijacking my own thread here, but is slightly relevant. Im about to purchase some speaker cable, and having had no previous home cinema experience am wondering how people would recommend wiring one of these amps up. Oh by the way my speakers are the Monitor Audio BRV5 set.

From the pictures I have seen the following speaker outputs are present:

Front A
Front B
Center
Surround
Surround Back / Speaker C

Having tried to do my homework. I think I should be bi-AMPing the front two speakers with Front A and Front B.

Obviously the center speaker wiring speaks for itself.

Now im not sure what to do with the rear speakers. Should I be bi-AMPing these with the two surround outputs. Or should I bi-WIRE these with one of the surround outputs Ie Surround C.

Also do the connectors on the output just screw out to allow bannana plugs to be connected. I would attach a link to the pic im looking at but am aware of violating any site cross referencing rules that might be present.

Any help would be hugely appreciated. I could do with getting the wiring sorted out as Im doing stuff to the room which would be better to get this stuff sorted out now.

Thanks in Advance,

Jonny.

I'm not sure about the best option re: bi-amping/ wiring, but the speaker terminals of the NR1601 will accommodate banana plugs. If you search for Marantz NR1601 on Amazon's US site, you can see good quality pictures of the front, back and remote control.

Last edited:
The NR1601 User Manual is available from Marantz America in Spanish. Although I don't understand Spanish, I'll be able to get an idea of the functionality etc of the NR1601 by looking at the diagrams and recognizing a word here and there. Below is the link to the pdf page and if anyone knows how to convert the language of a pfd document then please share.

NR1601 User Manual (Spanish): Marantz America | Support - Documents and Downloads

when i bought my 1501 from richer sounds yesterday, the guy said the 1601 will be in stock in 4 weeks priced at £499. Give a branch a call to confirm if i was you

when i bought my 1501 from richer sounds yesterday, the guy said the 1601 will be in stock in 4 weeks priced at £499. Give a branch a call to confirm if i was you

Sounds good, although I might wait a bit longer as I'd prefer to get it for a bit less than £499.

The NR1601 is now available to buy instore @ Sevenoaks for £450. My mate just bought a Denon 1911 from Sevenoaks and saw the NR1601. He spoke with the sales guy and he said they were delighted to be the among first to stock it. I phoned (the Glasgow branch) to confirm and it's defo in stock. I'm gonna list my Yamaha RX-V3800 on ebay this weeked (free-listing) and free up some funds.

i am thinking of purchasing a nr1501 have one held over in richersounds i have a denon 1610 at the mo was just looking to know if this amp will let u watch sky when in standby aka pass thru as my denon does this as my wife likes to watch sky through tv speaker does ask me why is there anyway round this so when want to watch sky use amp and when she want to watch sky use tv speaker as this is the way i hAVE MY DENON SET UP

i am thinking of purchasing a nr1501 have one held over in richersounds i have a denon 1610 at the mo was just looking to know if this amp will let u watch sky when in standby aka pass thru as my denon does this as my wife likes to watch sky through tv speaker does ask me why is there anyway round this so when want to watch sky use amp and when she want to watch sky use tv speaker as this is the way i hAVE MY DENON SET UP

the nr1501 does not do hdmi passthrough, your quick fix is to, connect the SKY box to the TV via HDMI direct, and then use the optical from the SKY box to the 1501.

The NR1601 is now available to buy instore @ Sevenoaks for £450. My mate just bought a Denon 1911 from Sevenoaks and saw the NR1601. He spoke with the sales guy and he said they were delighted to be the among first to stock it. I phoned (the Glasgow branch) to confirm and it's defo in stock. I'm gonna list my Yamaha RX-V3800 on ebay this weeked (free-listing) and free up some funds.

I phoned my local branch of richer sounds in Edinburgh today, they recon they are special order items for them, but should be able to get one, the guy I spoke to said their price was £399! I hope this is true and am looking forward to seeing if they call be back tomorrow to confirm !

Jonny.

The Marantz NR1601 has HDMI passthru.

The latest video from AVForums

TV Buying Guide - Which TV Is Best For You?
Subscribe to our YouTube channel
Back
Top Bottom