Marantz nr1403 'auto' surround setting question

MegaKen

Novice Member
So I have a 3.1 channel setup. The sound mode is set to auto.

When I watch Netflix etc - it automatically senses the Dolby digital signal and switches to it. Great.

But when I play music (through a high end bluetooth adapter) - it ALWAYS defaults to '2 ch stereo'. No matter what source - streaming, high quality streaming, flacs, anything.

Is all music recorded in stereo and intended to be played through a 2.1 channel config?
Thx

wiz

Distinguished Member
You can switch it to a different mode and it will remember.

I prefer to leave it in 2 ch stereo mode, its trying to mimic a 2 ch amp

Dolus

The Marantz comes with a setup guide and a CD containing the full manual or alternatively you can download/read it here.
MARANTZ NR1403 OWNER'S MANUAL Pdf Download | ManualsLib

From the manual Selecting a Listening Mode (Sound Mode)
Screenshot 2021-06-21 091742.png

MegaKen

Novice Member
Guys, I understand how modes work, that's not what my question was. Question is "Is all music recorded in stereo and intended to be played through a 2.1 channel config?"

I understand that I can switch to any mode, I'm curious as to why the auto mode always defaults to stereo for music.

wiz

Distinguished Member
My guess is most music is recorded that way and the AVR does its magic to make it multi channel if desired

gibbsy

I understand that I can switch to any mode, I'm curious as to why the auto mode always defaults to stereo for music.
Probably more to do with a PCM stereo signal which all CDs are recorded in. On higher end models you can have a stereo source selected with PCM signals.

dante01

Distinguished Member
Guys, I understand how modes work, that's not what my question was. Question is "Is all music recorded in stereo and intended to be played through a 2.1 channel config?"

2 channel PCM would result in the AV receiver's AUTO mode setting the receiver to its STEREO mode. That is what you'd ordinarilly expect from that AUTO mode relative to 2 channel PCM audio. If you want to apply upmixing to it then you'd need to manually select the uomixing mode you'd like to apply to it.

Also note that if portraying 2 channel audio as stereo then you'd need to also ensure that your front left and right speakers are designated SMALL in the speaker configurations. If designate LARGE then the associated crossovers for these speakers would not be in effect and the receiver would not engage the sub while portraying 2 channel sources as stereo.

Last edited:

The latest video from AVForums

Podcast: Panasonic JZ2000 Final Thoughts - TV Calibration: Should you? And More...
Subscribe to our YouTube channel
Support AVForums with Patreon

Top Bottom