Marantz NR1402 Center channel not lound enough

liamthefirst

Prominent Member
Reaction score
HI

i have had this amp for about two years now but the one thing that really bugs me is the center channel is not loud enough. sometimes to the point i have to put subtitles on to follow the movie!

my setup

Liam

I would wall mount the centre to be honest since you will not be getting the best from it sat at the back of the unit like that. Also if the centre channel is a little quiet for your taste then you could always increase the level a little within the speaker settings in the amp.

I would wall mount the centre to be honest since you will not be getting the best from it sat at the back of the unit like that. Also if the centre channel is a little quiet for your taste then you could always increase the level a little within the speaker settings in the amp.

Thanks.

I have wall mounted it now.

I have looked in The settings, but so far can't find anything the would suggest centre volume. Found distances and changed the centre but made no difference.

After or even in the same menu as the distances there should be something called speaker levels or trim. These will be in dB and will go from something like -10dB to +10dB. You would then just select the centre speaker and increase the level by a couple of dB.

What you are more than likely experiencing is the result of not playing multchannel audio loud enough. Multichannel audio is mixed in relation to a 85db reference level and it is only when outputting audio at this level that you get all of the channels interplaying with one another as intended. Play audio at lower volumes and some of the louder effects associated with the other channels can overwhelm the quieter audio generally associated with dialogue and the centre speaker.

Your receiver uses Audyssey and will include an option called "Audyssey Dynamic Volume". Dynamic Volume scales the dynamic range of the audio in relation to the volume level being used and helps force up the quieter audio making it more audible at lower volume levels. Try engaging and using Dynamic Volume.

The latest video from AVForums

Is 4K Blu-ray Worth It?
Subscribe to our YouTube channel
Back
Top Bottom