Marantz, NAD or Cambridge Audio AVR

Discussion in 'AV Receivers & Amplifiers' started by BackToBasics, Aug 19, 2013.

Tags:
  1. BackToBasics

BackToBasics
    Standard Member

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +0
    I'm looking to augment my 2 channel setup with an AVR for movie duties, and am looking for opinions, primarily between a Marantz AVR or a NAD.

I've finally been upgrading my sound system, having used a Sony ES series stereo receiver for about 25 years. I recently made some purchases that have given me a stereo setup that I'm thoroughly enjoying. I managed to find a Classe CAP-2100 integrated amp, along with a pair of Vienna Acoustics Beethoven Baby Grands (in Rosewood). For sources, I'm primarily using FLAC files ripped from CD or downloaded (mainly from HDTracks) to a NAS drive and streamed using a Linn Majik DSi.

This sounds great, as I said. I'm now thinking of adding an AVR, with the fronts going from the pre-out on the AVR to the Classe, and using the AVR to drive the center and surround speakers (will probably eventually be the VA Maestro center and Waltz surrounds). Music is certainly important to me, but I'm not sure how important the AVR will be since it will only be handling the center and surrounds for movies, and leaving the Classe/Linn setup for music.

I've auditioned both the current Marantz models (sr5008. 6008 and 7008) as well as NAD (T748, 757, 777) and prefer the NAD sound for music. I've also heard good things about the Cambridge Audio receivers, but haven't managed to find a local dealer that has any of their AVR's for demo. The reason I'm thinking about the Marantz is the additional features. I may decide to offload the Linn Majik and allow either my blue-ray player (eventually will get the Oppo BDP-103 or 105) to do the music streaming, or the Marantz AVR if I decide on that. I also have been listening to Internet Radio when I'm just looking for background music, and I know Marantz supports that as well.

Finally, I'm aware that NAD (and CA) are behind the curve on room correction compared to Marantz, though I'm uncertain how important that is as I've read conflicting opinions about it.

In a nutshell, my basic question is whether others think that the Marantz would satisfy my movie needs if I'm driving the front speakers with my Classe.

Thanks!

2. PSM1

PSM1
    Distinguished Member

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +5,434
    If you want to listen to a CA amp then you need to go to Richer sounds as I believe they are the only UK distributor.
    Room correction can help if you have issues with your room. However, if you do not have any room issues then it will give you very little.
    What is your budget for the upgrade?

3. MTech535

MTech535

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +32
    Who doesn't have ANY room issues?

I had a NAD AVR about 10-15 years ago and it sounded great, but was disappointed with how quickly it went wrong.

4. BackToBasics

BackToBasics
    Standard Member

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +0
    Thanks. Unfortunately, though I know most of you are in the UK, I'm in Seattle in the states. There is a CA distributor here, but they don't currently have any of the AVR's set up for demo, just the integrateds.

Budget is up in the air. If I decide to keep the Linn I'll want to keep the AVR to around $1000 US. To decide that I'll probably get the either the Oppo BDP-105 or the CA 752BD and see what I think of the sound quality for streaming compared to the Linn.

If I decide to sell the Majik, I think my budget would be around $2500-$3000 US. I know prices in the UK are probably different, but that should be the difference between the NAD T748 or T757 and the Marantz SR5008 or the NAD T777 or the Marantz SR7008 (and comparable CA models as well).

5. BackToBasics

BackToBasics
    Standard Member

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +0
    I am dealing with bass issues. Unfortunately with my layout I'm having a problem finding bass traps or panels that will fit in the corners. I may try the DIY route but haven't gotten that desperate yet.

In my research, I've gotten the impression that the issues NAD was having a few years ago have been addressed.

6. The Dreamer

The Dreamer

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +2,201
    This is only my personal preference, and it's not going to help much....

But I rate both NAD and Marantz for musicality and (NAD in particular) for punch.

As you wouldn't be using the amp stages to drive the fronts (using the Classe instead), 'punch' is irrelevant, only the 'colour' of the preamp stage is going to come through. Which, of course, is personal preference.

We have the luxury of a dedicated music room, where I run a system of older components; none are high-end, but it works for me. NAD C370/270 bi-amping Ruark Prelude II's, running from a Marantz 6000OSE CD player. So a mix of both NAD and Marantz gear.

But while bi-amping the speakers has certainly made the sound 'easier', the actual largest difference to the sound was from changing the speakers, not the amps. (Like you, coming from an older Sony amp.)

Again, on the personal level, I like the simplicity/purity of the NAD gear, but I too would like some of the extra bells and whistles that Marantz offer. For me, I plan on using a Sonos system for streaming duties and keeping the NADs.

Apologies if this doesn't help any..... I did warn you!......but at the end of the day I'm sure you'll be happy with either Marantz or NAD in your setup.

7. BackToBasics

BackToBasics
    Standard Member

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +0
    Thanks Dreamer,

Actually, that does help. I know what you mean about the speakers. I was actually set on the B&W PM1, feeling like they were in the same class as the 805D, plus I like the look. I had auditioned the VA Mozart's and wasn't blown away by them. I happened to be in my local hifi shop, and they had a pair of the Beethoven Baby Grands on demo sale. And while I liked the PM1's, the extra depth from the Beethoven's sold me. Like I said, they sound fantastic driven by the Classe (another demo sale purchase).

I'm leaning towards the Marantz, especially since the AVR won't be used at all for serious music listening. Like I said, I love the sound of the NAD, and if the AVR had to satisfy both 2 channel and surround I'd probably prefer it, but I'm thinking that for my needs, the features of the Marantz are going to tip the balance in that direction.

8. constrictor21

constrictor21
    Standard Member

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +0
    What one should I get I will be using it for movie and music I am going to be getting a pair of kef r300 for the front speakers and will be using a sub I have heard the nad just the other day with the kef hook up to it and I loved the sound a friend of mine has the marantz sr5007 and I love the way it sounds to lol what one is the better one

9. PSM1

PSM1
    Distinguished Member

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +5,434
    What is your budget?
    The Arcam 360 and 400 are both being sold at a good price at the moment and would be worth a look as well.

10. constrictor21

constrictor21
    Standard Member

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +0
    I don't have a place to buy them around here and I hate ordering on line last few times I did I had to send the stuff back