Marantz MCR 611 lack of audio when connected to Sky Q

martley

Novice Member
Reaction score
Hello, I have the Marantz MCR 611 Melody Media streamer. It has its faults for sure including occasional ‘hanging’ when trying to connect to internet radio, AirPlay, etc but the problem I have I can’t seem to get sorted.

I connected the ‘optical in’ to a Sky Q box and when I switch the MCR 611 on it nine times out of ten will not have any sound coming from the speakers connected to the MCR 611. If I switch the MCR 611 off and then turn on the Sky Q box and then turn the MCR 611 back on it will work fine. I can then switch off the Sky Q box and the MCR 611 will work normally. This is very frustrating and I’ve tried loads to deal with the problem; reset to factory settings; made sure the Sky Q box optical audio settings are set to ‘normal’ and so on but nothing seems to work. Before Sky Q I had the MCR 611 connected to a Sky HD box and didn’t have any of these audio issues. Has anyone else experienced this issue? Can it even be sorted? Who knows but any input would be appreciated. As a side note my opinion of the MCR 611 is that it’s fine on paper but the actual execution of the product leaves a lot to be desired. It’s too laggy I think.

As it used to work on a previous Sky box that would suggest that the issue is with the Q box, rather than the Marantz. Typically stereo devices can only accept a PCM stream rather than multi-channel, so I'd see if the Sky box has a PCM setting for it's optical output.

If that doesn't solve it & no one else comes up with a solution, you may be better off posting in the Sky Forum.

As it used to work on a previous Sky box that would suggest that the issue is with the Q box, rather than the Marantz. Typically stereo devices can only accept a PCM stream rather than multi-channel, so I'd see if the Sky box has a PCM setting for it's optical output.

If that doesn't solve it & no one else comes up with a solution, you may be better off posting in the Sky Forum.
Thanks very much x

Let us know how you get on. It's always useful to have solutions documented for future enquiries.

Consider trying a new/different optical cable, as the one you have may be faulty (reduced light transmission) creating your odd issue.

Hello, I have the Marantz MCR 611 Melody Media streamer. It has its faults for sure including occasional ‘hanging’ when trying to connect to internet radio, AirPlay, etc but the problem I have I can’t seem to get sorted.

I connected the ‘optical in’ to a Sky Q box and when I switch the MCR 611 on it nine times out of ten will not have any sound coming from the speakers connected to the MCR 611. If I switch the MCR 611 off and then turn on the Sky Q box and then turn the MCR 611 back on it will work fine. I can then switch off the Sky Q box and the MCR 611 will work normally. This is very frustrating and I’ve tried loads to deal with the problem; reset to factory settings; made sure the Sky Q box optical audio settings are set to ‘normal’ and so on but nothing seems to work. Before Sky Q I had the MCR 611 connected to a Sky HD box and didn’t have any of these audio issues. Has anyone else experienced this issue? Can it even be sorted? Who knows but any input would be appreciated. As a side note my opinion of the MCR 611 is that it’s fine on paper but the actual execution of the product leaves a lot to be desired. It’s too laggy I think.
I had that problem, noted switching to tuner then back to optical and it worked (no need to power down). Unfortunately, I also occasionally got a strange sound in a speaker like a dirty pot causing static which cleared when adjusting the volume and gave up with it in the end... very short lived and disappointed with it.

The latest video from AVForums

TV Buying Guide - Which TV Is Best For You?
Subscribe to our YouTube channel
Back
Top Bottom