Marantz launch sleek NR1607 AV receiver

Does anyone know are there any major advantages over last years NR1606?

Looks like duel band WIFI and improved on screen graphics?

Great, that's not too much. Just took delivery of 1606 and was hoping I wasn't going to miss out!

Great, that's not too much. Just took delivery of 1606 and was hoping I wasn't going to miss out!

I took delivery of a 1606 last Wednesday so I feel your pain. That said, it doesn't sound like there's been much of an upgrade.

What are these like? I've been casually looking at them, but can't find any reviews.

I've spent all of 5 minutes with mine listening to a few familiar music tracks in stereo and it sounded less impressive that the Denon 3310 it replaced but overall 'fine'. I think there's no escaping the fact that these units are a compromise on absolute sound quality due to their form factor.

Overall I'm happy with what I've seen and heard from the unit and will be keeping it. I'd just say that you should probably go for a full-size unit if you can accommodate the size.

** All of the above comes with the caveat that I haven't completed the full setup procedure yet which may well improve things further **

I've wanted one of these for ages, they are very living room friendly

I'd have to disagree with Pulsar, however I'm coming from an av receiver less than half the price of a Denon 3310! I'm coming from a Yamaha rxv679, and for me the Marantz with music in stereo is far nicer, warmer and I would say detailed, also more dynamic. I'm using q-acoustics 3020 on the front, matching centre and 3010 for the rears, Dali e9f sub.

I have run the multi point calibration and it sounds fantastic in my 15x15 room, no lack of power, It just needs to be turned up slightly more that the Yamaha, but still can't get it past 75%, way too loud!

I genuinely do not think there is any difference in the quality of sound due to the lower wattage or slimmer form factor, this to me sounds the exact same as my friends Marantz sr5010, but with less power.

Cheers

Whats a better option (if size isn't an issue) for around the £4-500 mark then?
Maybe if you need to fill a large room have a look at the Marantz SR5009, it's the previous years model, still available, just check out if the features fill your requirements. If your room is 300sqft or less, the 1606 is perfect

Looks like dual band WIFI and improved on screen graphics?
Really interesting, I saw no difference except dual band wifi and DSD 5.8MHz support. Looks like NR1606 is with improved screen graphics too. Maybe there are internal modifications for future firmware upgrades and speed improvement.

I stand corrected (Thanks @stosoorok ) there is no difference in scaling ability.

The 1607 can scale up to 4k@60hz whereas the 1606 can only go to 4k@30hz. Up to you whether this is a big deal or not.

Last edited:
didn't Onkyo say they're releasing their 2016 line in August?

I would be interested to know how they measure those 90watts, seems a little optimistic for such a small AVR.

EDIT: nevermind, using some very 'interesting' measurements

6 ohm, 1 kHz, 1%, 1ch Drive 90 W
6 ohm, 1 kHz. 0.7%, 2ch Drive 70 W
8 ohm, 20 Hz - 20 kHz, 0.08%, 2ch Drive 50 W

1% distortion would be pretty painful, only using 1 channel to drive a single frequency.

Ok so 50w using more realistic measurements, which is still pretty decent.

The rating is actually only 50 watts @ 8 ohm, 20 Hz - 20 kHz, 0.08%, 2ch driven. The more conventional sized receivers at this level would have rated output in the region of double this. The power ratings are exactly as they were for the NR1606.

I think this 'lack' of power is what I heard when I turned it for a few minutes on music tracks I knew - it didn't exactly drive my Quad 11Ls with ease (compared to the Denon).

I think most people will appreciate that this amp is a compromise given the dimensions. I had a strict height budget and this suits perfectly. I might add a small (digital?) power amp at some point if I still feel wanting for power. I could stash a small unit in a cupboard next to the amp.

I am also considering looking for some new speakers for this setup and will certainly keep an eye on sensitivity now.

I think most people will appreciate that this amp is a compromise given the dimensions. I had a strict height budget and this suits perfectly. I might add a small (digital?) power amp at some point if I still feel wanting for power. I could stash a small unit in a cupboard next to the amp.
Exactly! These powerful AV receivers are so huge that I'm thinking NR1606/7+PM8005 would be the way to go...

Very interested in this, my (12 maybe) year old Marantz SR4400 is just taking up too much room. I am interested to see what price this retails at. It seems there is little difference between this and the NR1606 though, so may go for that if it is cheaper.

I ordered NR1606. 1606/1607 price difference is about 200€ at the moment. I'm sure 1607 will not be cheaper than 1606 was. Hurry up, last ones are on sale now!

Anyone know if the 1607 does 4k ondisplay audiobar? The 1606 does not display the audiobar on the tv when video is 4k...

Do you mean on screen volume bar? No problems here with UHD signal.
Yeah, that's what I mean. The NR1606 does not do that on UHD signal.

Yeah, that's what I mean. The NR1606 does not do that on UHD signal.
Yes it does! :) You may need to reset your NR1606.

IMG_0925.JPG

The latest video from AVForums

TV Buying Guide - Which TV Is Best For You?
Subscribe to our YouTube channel
Back
Top Bottom