• New Patreon Tier and Early Access Content available. If you would like to support AVForums, we now have a new Patreon Tier which gives you access to selected news, reviews and articles before they are available to the public. Read more.

Marantz KI or DacMagic

white91

Hi Guys,

I need some help, current system has served me well (10yrs) but now feel time to upgrade.

Current system:

Marantz cd50
Cambridge A1 mk3
Gale Mini Monitors
Panasonic BD35

I am about to buy some Mission V63 floorstanders, and was thinking, as I like the sound of my cdp, along the lines of more modern Marantz gear :

CD6000 Ki
PM6010 Ki

Which could be bought for around £250 I think, good move?

Other options could be a cd63 mkII Ki and PM66 Ki, or Arcam CD72/73 but maybe the Arcam might be too 'laid back'?

Another option would be a Cambridge DacMagic with the BD35 and the view to use a computer eventually, however the BD35 is very slow at loading cds!

A little confused at the moment and would be open to peoples view on equipment around this price range.

Thanks in advance

evans

white

your in a similar situation i was in last year, I was using a toshiba XE1 HD player as a cd player. Yes it was good but i thought i could do better so i bought the dacmagic. After a break in period of 100 hours the sound was way better than the DAC of the XE1. Since then i modified the dacmagic to sound even better by installing (through a repair guy) some better OP amps inside the device and adding a proper transport (Cyrus) to play cds to the dacmagic. Now the sound is truly wonderful and for a modest price too. I also changed to LAT international cables which made a great improvement in detail depth of the music. An average type CD player just cant compete, you have to look at very expensive CD players to compete, at least thats what i heard anyway. :smashin:

CJROSS

I'd be upgrading speakers and amplifier before messing about with your CDP/DAC. Downstream effect etc etc.

white91

I'd be upgrading speakers and amplifier before messing about with your CDP/DAC. Downstream effect etc etc.

Well I am buying some Mission V63 floorstanders I found quite cheap, which should be a good upgrade from the Mini Monitors.

I also need to ugrade my cdp and amp.

Many people on here have said DAC is a very effective upgrade, as using a computer with lossless mp3s does appeal to me

Don Dadda

Distinguished Member
Many people on here have said DAC is a very effective upgrade, as using a computer with lossless mp3s does appeal to me

That they can be and if you have stored music on a pc or NAS drive then its definitely the route to go down IMO. I use a Beresford TC-7510 dac which i found to be excellent and very effective link between pc and amp. It will more than likely enhance the sq for the BD35 as well if hooked up to it. Can't do anything for the loading speed tho :D.

The Marantz amp and cdp you mentioned, is that £250 each or total? I ask because, even tho they are newer than your kit, are still a few models old.

The more modern cdp to the CD6000 is the CD6002 and can be had for around £250 - rave reviews left right and center.
Same for the PM6010ki is the PM6002 but don't think there is a ki version.

Still, if you want the 6010 and cd6000 (still good kit), and can be got for £250 or less - hopefully less, i'm sure you will be just as happy. :thumbsup:

white91

I have 'borrowed' my Dad's Audiolab 8000A amp as I wanted to see what the new V63s would sound like bi-wired, and I must say I am impressed! Really powerful neutral sounding amp.

I was thinking I could by the CD6000KI and the PM6010KI for about £100ish each, I am a little relunctant to buy brand new as I like a bargain! Also have not ruled out a DAC.

Also as my new speakers do not come with any bridging plates, would I just use some speaker wire to bridge them?

God all my old cds are coming out, I am loving these new speakers/amp!!

Don Dadda

Distinguished Member
Well, if you can both for £200ish all in then so be it
And yes, use a short length of speaker cable to bridge the 2 sets of posts. :thumbsup:

The latest video from AVForums

Guardians of the Galaxy Xmas Special, Strange World, Bones and All, and Cabinet of Dr Caligari in 4K
Subscribe to our YouTube channel
Support AVForums with Patreon

Top Bottom