1. Join Now

AVForums.com uses cookies. By continuing to use this site, you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Learn More.

Marantz IR codes clash with Arcam Amp

Discussion in 'AV Receivers & Amplifiers' started by AOD, Apr 14, 2002.

Tags:
  1. AOD

AOD

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +4
    Having ummed and ahhed over my purchase for so long I finally bit the bullet and bought a Marantz SR4200.

Compared to what I was listening to previously (a DVD with onboard DD feeding the 6 channel input on a Yamaha DSP E492) the difference is astounding. Dolby Pro-Logic II is a revelation (can't wait to dig out some of the Star Trek vids).

Yes the manual is a disaster area (Marantz, ever heard of proofreading??) but the sonics are great and the ergonomics aren't too shabby either.

However there is a fly in the ointment. The remote supplied by Marantz is intended to be an all in one job, however when I operate the master volume on it, my Arcam Alpha 6 changes volume too.

Just to forestall any questions, I'm using the Marantz as a processor as I have a couple of Rotel power-amps in addition to my Arcam. There aren't many sensibly priced processors with PLII yet, so this seemed like a reasonable approach.

I've never used the R/C capabilities of the Arcam before, cos I never had a remote that would work with it and I wasn't that bothered as only the volume can be remote controlled. Now of course having carefully set my levels (with an SPL meter naturally ;) )I don't really want the Arcam going up and down every time I decide to change volume.

The solution is simple, cover the IR eye on the Arcam with something, but I just thought people should be aware. Now Arcam may not be using the same codes with their more modern gear, but then again they might. My advice would be to check first if possible.

2. WSC

WSC
    Standard Member

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +0
    Yes I found that out with my 5200 and Arcam amp. I was told that both use a Phillips based remote and that this is quite common. Indeed the Hi fi shop told me that there appear to be 3 main different remote systems and therefore this "feature" is quite common.
    rgds

3. WSC

WSC
    Standard Member

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +0
    Just to add. It is still the case with the latest Arcam amps

4. AOD

AOD

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +4
    Out of interest, what's your approach to getting round this issue?

5. WSC

WSC
    Standard Member

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +0
    Therein lies a tale. I actually only bought the Arcam amp because I am moving house and in the new house have two living rooms at opposite ends of the house. Since the 5200 does not have a 2nd speaker channel (and anyway its too far away) I needed a 2nd system and so have bought an Arcam 7r - so I am not effected.

Good luck with a solution!

6. melvynadam

melvynadam
    Standard Member

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +0
    I've just bought a Marantz SR5200 and would like to use the 'universal remote' to control my Tosh510 as well as a VCR. Is there any website with a list of the codes? The method described in the manual for finding the code didn't work with the Tosh.