marantz have a new cd player coming...

neilos70

ive had my marantz cd63mk2 ki signature for 7 years now and noticed the other day that marantz are bringing out a new player - the cd6002.

it gets great reviews but is not available to buy yet...thing is i am really happy with the old player & will i get a vast improvement in the quality if I upgrade?

whats the history on the k sig players? they were a must-have in their day so will newer players bring me a heap of rewards...

please help!:confused: and im looking forward to your thoughts

Alan Mac

it gets great reviews but is not available to buy yet...thing is i am really happy with the old player & will i get a vast improvement in the quality if I upgrade?

whats the history on the k sig players? they were a must-have in their day so will newer players bring me a heap of rewards...

I think we can say with certainty that you will definitely not get a vast improvement in quality if you change to the new player.

Personally, (unless your present player has a fault) I would be surprised if you could genuinely hear any difference but you are quite likely to think the new player sounds better since we tend to “hear what we expect to hear”.

I have had my CD player for over 24 years and it is still going strong!

Alan

phil t

If you’re serious about upgrading, then take your old cdp along to the audition and compare it to whatever new models you decide to audition. Just because an item of kit is newer or more expensive, doesn’t make it better. Trust your ears.

:)

Cable Monkey

Firstly can we assume you are sound of mind and not prone to hearing things that aren't there. Secondly can we assume you are sensible enough only to buy if you really think you are getting 'better', not just 'newer'. If we are charitable enough to accept you are sincere in your wish to find something better than what you have then you have to compare your old player to a new one. A dealer that will allow a home demo is an excellent asset. Take one home, listen to it for a week or 2, then give it back. See if you can live with the old player and if you can any differences perceived were probably not improvements to your liking. If you can't then go back and buy said player. Avoid trying to make direct A/B comparisons, just live with one exclusively then go back to the other. Best way in my experience.

neilos70

thanks for the replies so far guys.

i suppose ive caught the upgrade bug and have seen the same player on my rack for a while now - some of you guys have a vast knowledge of various companies internal components so the info i was looking for was more related to this area.

i know the cd63 was a fantastic player but that was a few years back and tech has progressed since then.

to be fair i wouldnt just buy a player without hearing it &
i have also considered arcam, cambridge & cyrus.

so - the new marantz players may have more superior transports, dacs etc or they may not!!????

cwilson

Despite the new dacs, transports etc, the biggest change in how CD players sound has come from the operating systems, and memory within that OS. The easiest way to see how much improvement you can expect is within that area. Have a look at the the old spinner read the CD, and how the new one does the same thing. If that has not changed much, then neither has the sound. All IMHO and to my ears of course.

neilos70

Despite the new dacs, transports etc, the biggest change in how CD players sound has come from the operating systems, and memory within that OS. The easiest way to see how much improvement you can expect is within that area. Have a look at the the old spinner read the CD, and how the new one does the same thing. If that has not changed much, then neither has the sound. All IMHO and to my ears of course.

confused now mate!

neilos70

Cable Monkey

apparently! depends on what time of day it is:eek:

It is ok. I am assuming you are!;)
Technology hasn't really changed that much over the years. The main changes are some improvements in power consumption and noise in IC's and some fine fettling of filters to create less distortion or upsampling to simplify filters. Hardware is built to fit into a price and performance bracket and your main concern is to see if price and performance has changed sufficiently to place the new player above your older player in performance terms. Then of course you have to like the end result so comparison is your only real option. Thing is, if you are as happy with the old player as you claim, why are you looking?

neilos70

well if im honest its black and the rest of my kit is silver.
not much of a reason really is it.

i had a look on google last night and did some comparisons between the cdp's...marantz in my conclusion really went to town on the cd63 so as you said [quite rightly] a comparison is the way to go before i spend out to get that kit rack matching up!!

ta very much for the explanation:thumbsup:

The latest video from AVForums

LG CX Best Picture Settings
Subscribe to our YouTube channel
Support AVForums with Patreon

Top Bottom