1. Join Now

AVForums.com uses cookies. By continuing to use this site, you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Learn More.

Marantz DVD Players

Discussion in 'Blu-ray & DVD Players & Recorders' started by Antpink, Oct 27, 2004.

1. Antpink

Antpink

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +103
    Has anyone had a chance to review the Marantz DVD players - I see that AVLand has DV6500 on their site, but it has not arrived at these shores (Asia Pac) yet, so do not know how the pricing will compare. DV6400 does not appear to have progressive scan in either NTSC or PAL, is this correct? What I would like to know is if the PQ is up there with the best, and secondary uses, such as SACD and CD - how do they compare to such staples as the Pioneer 575?
    Thanks in advance..

2. Ed Selley

Ed Selley
    AVF Reviewer

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +3,145
    Musically the 6400/6500 will outperform the Pioneer (not least becuase they have decent bass management) and the picture is very good. Neither play Divx (no biggie in my view) but get the essentials right. They both cost quite a bit more though.

3. Antpink

Antpink

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +103
    Tons,
    Price wise I may be able to get them on a more even keel to the Pioneer and Denon models here in Singapore, and I want to get something that matches my 7400 amp. My feeling is that, with Marantz, when they build something which spins a 12 cm disk, they more often than not do a good job, so their DVD players should be more than acceptable. However, no-one ever mentions them in any comparison question or rates them in responses, so it could be a gamble! Assuming they still maintain the same quality of build as they used to, their players should stand the test of time as well - I had an old CD 67SE that I have since passed on to a friend and it's still doing everything it should as well as the day it was bought, nearly 10 years ago!

Thanks for your feedback.

4. Ed Selley

Ed Selley
    AVF Reviewer

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +3,145
    HiFi choice did a very thorough review on the DV6400 and indeed awarded it a bronze award in their awards issue. The multichannel music performance is very good indeed and it seems that the 6500 builds on that and offers a better video performance to boot. An SR7400 will of course be able to control it via that swish remote it has.

5. Antpink

Antpink

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +103
    OK - so a quick ring around reveals that the DV6400 is available for around S$450, or just shy of GBP 150.... is it worth waiting for the DV6500??? Decisions, decisions.... my biggest concern is with the PQ, and how much better it will be to my old Philips Q50. Prog scan isn't much of an issue as my Loewe TV does it's own video signal manipulations.....