Marantz DV8400: Interlaced DVI Output?

Discussion in 'Blu-ray & DVD Players & Recorders' started by Bails, Nov 23, 2004.

1. Bails

Bails

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +3
    Can someone please tell me whether the Marantz DV8400 will output an interlaced signal via its DVI output? I have an external video processor with DVI-in and I would prefer it to do the de-interlacing.
    Thanks.

2. Vanderlay

Vanderlay
    Standard Member

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +1
    I'm not sure any DVI-equipped DVD players can output interlaced signals via DVI, so my guess would be no.

3. SamirP

SamirP

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +32
    A number of dvi dvd players will indeed output an interlaced signal in the form of 1080i, but I'm not sure if any will output pal(576i) & ntsc (480i)

4. Bails

Bails

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +3
    Thanks for the replies. That being the case, will SDI output an interlaced signal?

5. John Dawson

John Dawson

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +112
    SDI is a professional interlaced-only digital video transmission format which is illegal on consumer DVD players as there is no copy protection. Very few consumer devices can accept this signal.

DVI is a progressive / RGB only format, although there is an extension called DVI-HDTV sometimes found on set top boxes in the USA that can support interlaced video. In any case you need a display that supports DVI-HDCP (High-definition Digital Content Protection) as only this form of DVI is legal on consumer DVD players.

HDMI is a superset of DVI-HDCP that also supports interlaced and component video and E-EDID, which is a bit like plug and play (pray?) on computers, and allows the source and sink to mutually agree what they will support in terms of video standards.

HTH. More info at www.hdmi.org

John Dawson (Arcam)

PS. Arcam DV79 and DV29 DVD players can output interlaced or progressive video via their HDMI outputs.