Marantz DV7600 arriving on Saturday

Discussion in 'Blu-ray & DVD Players & Recorders' started by Kazman, Oct 7, 2005.

1. Kazman

Kazman

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +139
    Well, this is the first time I'm buying blind on a product, but have had many Marantz products in the past and haven't been let down yet.

It's had good reviews and I need a player to output 720p for the new TV that arrives today :) Woohoo!!

Anyone here know anything I should watch out for with it? I'll be posting a review up later in the week, it's replacing the rather good Pioneer DV668, so it doesn't exactly have an easy first task :).

AV Land are sorting me out again with a stonking deal and service, absolute stars :), they should wear capes at that place with a big 'S' on their shirts :).

2. kumamoto

kumamoto
    Banned

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +17
    You should be in for a treat. I have the bigger brother dv9500 and its been a fantastic player.

To be honest nothing to watch out as the picture is fully optimised straight out of the box.
    Enjoy

3. jbaker

jbaker

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +5
    Can't wait for your review as I have been eyeing up the 7600 for a few weeks now to replace my ageing Pioneer DV717. Saw one in the flesh at Sevenoaks in Leeds last week, albeit only a display model in the window, and it looked really nice, better than any pictures i've seen.
    Can you tell me where you have seen reviews of the player as I haven't been able to find any!
    Also, the best advertised price i've seen for the 7600 is £549, do you think AVland would be able to beat this?

4. Kazman

Kazman

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +139
    :cool: :cool: :cool: :cool:

The picture is so good my eyes are :eek:

The scaler in the DV7600 is better than the one in the Sagem, the DVD player itself just looks plain gorgeous too!!!

The picture is virtually as good as the DV9500, although I saw it on a different TV, outputting 720p

Right, time for AVIA tweaks, but I can certainly say the picture is an improvement over the DV668.

Will have a good play with it over the next few days and post a full review.

Can safely say though, I think it's going to be a bit of a stunner :D

5. Kazman

Kazman

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +139
    Awesome machine this, can't believe how vivid and 'alive' the images are. It doesn't quite have as much tweakability as my previous Pioneer DV668, but it's certainly has enough to allow the best possible picture achievable with it.

One problem I have found is that the player can't output a progressive scan image over component video while HDMI is connected.

The image appears fine, but it jerks and pauses, disconnect HDMi and all is fine.

I only watch via HDMI anyway, so not bothered about that to be honest.

A word of warning though, make sure you switch off the DNR, it's nice to have, but the default factory set level is waaaaay too high, much nicer picture with it switched low or off.

The picture is crisp and colour dynamics outstanding, it picks out the tiniest details of the image, flesh tones are delivered without issue and the lack of noise via HDMI is superb, I always found the background of movies on the Pioneer DV668 were a little too noisy, on the Marantz, via component and HDMI the noise is virtually non existant (component does have more than HDMI though, but that is too be expected).

Build isn't as good as the Pioneer, yes, it is well screwed together, and the transport is good, but the transport on the DV668 was better. The Pioneer DV668 was also heavier, with a more reassuring solid feel. Saying that, the Marantz DV7600 is soooooo much better looking, the Pioneer DV668 is positively dull by comparison. The display on the DV7600 is also MUCH better, gives you much more information and the clarity is superb from the viewing position, whereas one would struggle to read the Pioneers display.

I haven't had a chance to run any SACD or DVD-A discs yet, or, indeed, good old stereo CD's, will add my thoughts on these in the full review, but for now, I can whole heartedly reccomend this player, it is absolutely fantastic!!

Very happy with the buy :)

6. Kazman

Kazman

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +139
    I should add though that the HDMI light doesn't appear to come on when connected via a HDMI > DVI cable, I'm assuming it should come on with a full on HDMI > HDMI connection though.

No biggie, just thought it was worth mentioning.

7. kumamoto

kumamoto
    Banned

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +17
    When this dvd player is connected hdmi to hdmi you get a green light but when you connect hdmi to dvi you get a red light!!
    Same as my dv9500.

8. kumamoto

kumamoto
    Banned

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +17
    Another thing i still get progressive scan over components even when connected via hdmi. But then again there could be slight differences between 9500 and 7600.

9. nnicol

nnicol

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +6
    Is this machine multi-region? I'm looking at this machine but can't find anyone that ships it. I'm on the east coast in Norfolk, anyone an idea of where to look.

10. kumamoto

kumamoto
    Banned

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +17
    mine came multi region straight from hong kong, i don't know about kazman's.

11. Kazman

Kazman

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +139
    You can buy this multi-region from here:

www.avland.co.uk

Ask to speak to Kingsley and tell him Kaz from AV Forums recommended you :).

12. nnicol

nnicol

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +6
    Thanks guys. I think I might just give it a go. I'm connecting it to a Philips 32pf9986 LCD. Do you think it will be a good match or do you think anything else will do a good job.

13. Kazman

Kazman

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +139
    Should be fine. It's a superb player :).

14. nnicol

nnicol

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +6
    Hi Kazman, you're a star. Just spoke to AVLand and ordered the DV7600. Spoke to Kingsley as you said and got a superb deal. You got the last one in stock so I'll get mine when stock arrives. Thanks again, I'll let you know how I get on when it arrives.

15. Kazman

Kazman

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +139
    Nice one :smashin:

AV Lands customer service is top notch, shouldn't take too long for them to get some stock, usually only a few days whenever I've dealt with them, they are very friendly too.

You are going to love the player :) It is so awesome :) The multi region hack via the remote works too :)

Let me know if you need any help with settings and the like. :thumbsup:

16. nnicol

nnicol

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +6
    Cheers mate.

17. Kazman

Kazman

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +139
    Has yours arrived yet? :)

18. Ed Selley

Ed Selley
    AVF Reviewer

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +3,331
    My exposure to the DV7600 has been limited to briefly tinkering with one at the setup for the weekend at Dave's show but it seems a great machine. However (and this is childishness on my part I concede) it doesn't have the "carved from a single piece of steel" feel of the DV8400 that I currently use. Although it doesn't scale I still love it for that.

19. nnicol

nnicol

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +6
    Just got an e-mail to say it is being shipped today :clap: Should have it tomorrow. I'll let you know how I get on. :thumbsup:

20. nnicol

nnicol

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +6
    Just got home from picking it up. Wonderfull service from the boys at AVLAND. Great shop, I'm sure I'll use them again. I'll let you know how I go.

21. Kazman

Kazman

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +139
    Nice one :)

It's an awesome machine :)

22. Stinky985

Stinky985

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +6
    can you order this on line and was the deal 'worth having'? also is it worthwhile upgrade from Denon 2200?

23. Kazman

Kazman

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +139
    Can't order Marantz products online unfortunately, I had to go and pick this up from the store personally :(

But, AV Land aren't too far from me so it's not too bad.

I don't understand why some manufacturers make it more difficult to buy their products though :confused: AV Land give top service, and it gives me the chance to check out their demo room and all the lovely high end gear they have there sometimes :) So it isn't all bad :D :devil:

24. Stinky985

Stinky985

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +6
    damn! i suppose it will save me some money though !! TBH i think a new LCD/Plasma is more of a priority!!