Marantz DV7010 - Any info. please

Discussion in 'Blu-ray & DVD Players & Recorders' started by Steve Davies, Jun 23, 2001.

1. Steve Davies

Steve Davies

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +2
    Hi,

I'm considering getting one of these, but I cannot find any reviews anywhere.

Anyone got any pearls of wisdom to share with me please? Picture quality etc.

Also, my dealer has told me that it is multi-region out of the box. Does anyone know if it is codefree or the region can be selected?

One final thing, can anybody shed any light on whether it can deal with RCE discs.

Thanks

Steve

2. Family Guy

Family Guy

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +0
    I have a DV7000 which is very similar to the 7010.
    I can assure you that it is Region Free (this can be changed by a few button presses on the front panel) and it has played every RCE disc I have thrown at it.
    Picture quality is superb through RGB and my only criticism of the 7000 that at £700 there are no component outputs.
    Mines knackered at the moment. Problem with lazer alligment but Marantz have assured me it will be back in about 3 weeks. Anybody got any suggestion what I do in that time?!
    I already got 3 kids and the Footie season dosen't start for another 7 weekss!
    Sometimes I wish I had kept the LD's. :(

3. Steve Davies

Steve Davies

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +2
    Thanks for the prompt reply Army Bloke.

I've been offered the machine at £550, looking at your comment this seems a very good price. The fact that it is multiregion switchable out of the box is cool.

You mentioned that you have a problem with yours at the moment, how long have you had it? Any idea what caused the problem and how did it manifest itself, refuse to play DVD's?

3 weeks is indeed a long time to wait, especially with 3 kids running riot! Hope you get your player back soon.

Steve

4. Family Guy

Family Guy

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +0
    I think my fault was there from the beggining to be honest. I just didn't want to put it in to get repaired. I've had the machine about 6 months now and from the word it refused to play some discs, but played all RCE discs funny enough.
    Try some of the following discs in the player before you buy it. If the word "ERROR" comes up on the dot matrix display, insist that it is repaired under warranty before you part with your cash:
    Ronin R1 "ERROR" on widescreen version only.
    The Patriot R1 - RCE I know but the map didn't come up - just the "ERROR" word again.
    Dr No (Just about any Bond R1 disc actually)
    "ERROR" again.
    Pitch Black R2 Froze on layer change.
    Cast Away R1 Froze on layer change.

The sound from this player is awesome. I had a Pioneer player before and when I connected up Marantz it was like lifting a 15 tog quilt from my speakers, it really was that good.
    £550? That's a good price for a new one, but I wouldn't pay any more that £300 - £350 for a second hand one.
    Good Luck and keep me posted. I couldn't find any reviews before I brought my player so I just took the plunge and haven't regretted it for a minute.

5. Steve Davies

Steve Davies

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +2
    Thanks for the advice mate.
    Sorry, I forgot to say that the price was a brand new unit, offered by my local dealer.

I bought a CD60000 OSE CD player from him about 3 months ago and was blown away at how good it sounds. Thought it would be nice to have a DVD player to match it (nice silvery metallic finish!). The other thing is that it feels quite substantial compared to some of the 'budget' players around. I have one of those currently, and want to upgrade to something better - I feel this is the weak link in my set up at the moment.

So, it looks like I need to arrange a demo then. That should be the deciding factor. The other player I am tempted by is the Pioneer 737 (looks ve-e-ery nice and has had good reviews), this also has component outs, but I don't have any plans to get a new TV or a projector in the next couple of years so this isn't really important to me.

Thanks for your recommendation, you seem to rate it very highly despite your problems.

Strange that there are no reviews online anywhere, not that I can find anyway, and also checked all the usual HC mags and even What HiFi!

I will indeed keep you posted, thanks for your time.

Steve

6. Steve Davies

Steve Davies

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +2
    AB,

Just one other thing I forgot to ask, what's the layer change like? On my cuurent player it is only just noticeable on some discs (usually R1). Not really a major problem, but would be nice if there isn't too much of a gap.

Steve

7. Family Guy

Family Guy

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +0
    Layer change is fine. Apart from when it freezes of course!
    My unit is black and funny enough, I was so blown away by the sound I brought a 6000 ose cd player as well! Black though.

8. Family Guy

Family Guy

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +0
    I saw a mini review in a DVD magazine yesterday (can't rememeber what one and I've lent it to somebody)
    The 7010 gets 9/10 but is only priced at £450. I think they may be wrong but when I get the mag back I'll post the title.
    Still haven't got mine back but I did get a nice letter from Marantz apolagising for it going wrong!

9. Steve Davies

Steve Davies

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +2
    AB,

Thanks for the info.

Haven't had a chance to get a demo yet. If you could let me know the name of the mag that would be good.

£450 seems a very good price, perhaps the price has just dropped.

Sorry to hear that you haven't got your player back yet - does the letter from Marantz state when you it is likely you will get it back, or is it just a 'standard apology' letter.

10. Family Guy

Family Guy

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +0
    The magazine is DVD MONTHLY.
    I now have my player back. It is actually in worse conditition now! Thay upgraded the firmware so you can actually select the region (rather thn regin 0 & reg 2 only) and now it only plays region 2 films!
    Also, the bottom 3 options (including SCART output) are missing from the set up menu.
    Apparently, the EPROM needs reseting, which can be done via the remote. I'm just waiting for the instructions on hoe to do this. Still a brilliant player though!

11. Family Guy

Family Guy

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +0
    I have finally got my player up & running again. The lazer needed realigning and they upgraded the firmware. As I said before, it is now fully MULTI REGION instead if REGION FREE.
    Since the work was done, the colours are a lot richer. We watched The Magnificent Seven last night and were well happy with the result.
    I'd say bite the bullet and go for the 7010. :D :D :D :D

12. Steve Davies

Steve Davies

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +2
    AB,

Glad to hear that you're up and running again! Also, that your machine seems to have been improved.

Have to try and a grab a copy of DVD Monthly, confirm the price, and then pay a visit to my dealer.

Thanks for the info.

Steve :eek: