Marantz DV6500 help....

Discussion in 'Blu-ray & DVD Players & Recorders' started by StormRider, Aug 17, 2005.

1. StormRider

StormRider
    Standard Member

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +0
    Hi all,

i have my marantz dv6500 connected to my sr7500 using 5.1 analogue. i have set all the speakers to small and with the sub on. When listening to SACD 2 channel, theres no signal to the sub and my front have been cut off at low frequency........what happended? :rolleyes:

2. ash71

ash71
    Standard Member

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +1
    Hi
    When you say 5.1 Analogue, do you have 3 pairs of Phono cables from the DVD player to the Amps 7.1 Channel Inputs?

I have the SR7400 and on the front there is a button named "7.1 CH INPUT" it's probably under the flap on yours, press this to select the 7.1 ch input (you need to press it again to return to regular sources)

In the On Screen Menu of the SR7400 there is a page to adjust the levels of the various channels (seperate from the main setup for DD/DTS etc) - just checked whilst you can change the level of the sub you cant bypass it. This input also bypasses the bass managment circuit (I'm pretty sure anyway) so you should have bass via the sub. I'm listening to NIN With Teeth DVDA at the moment - bass aplenty!

Have you/do you need to tell the DVD player to output via its 5.1 output? On my Pioneer I needed to activate the 5.1 output (defaults to stereo) and tell it what part of SACD & DVDA discs to play through its SET UP Menu.

Hope this helps.

3. StormRider

StormRider
    Standard Member

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +0
    Hi Ash,

thanks for the info,i think i already done this....
    i have 3 pairs of phono cables connected and i have select 7.1 channel source.
    on my dv-6500,i have activeted output 5.1
    the problem only happen to 2 channel sacd,theres no signal output to the sub when i set my front to small and sub to on.
    but for normal cd its ok,dont have this problem.... :(

4. ash71

ash71
    Standard Member

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +1
    I Think I have a 2 channel SACD around somewhere, I'll give it a spin and see what happens. The few SACD's I have are mostly multi channel disc's. I seem to recall that Stereo SACD's are just that, they only have Left and Right channels and no .1 channel. The multi channel SACD's I have produce sound from the sub.

I have just checked a couple of disc's and this is what I've found.

Nine Inch Nails - Downward Spiral SACD
    Disc 1 is a 5.1 mix - sound from sub + FL, FR, C, RL & RR speakers.
    Disc 2 is a Stereo mix - sound only from FL and FR speakers with nothing from the sub. The fronts are producing the full freq' range

The latest Sting SACD will give you the full 5.1 mix but if you select the 2 channel mix the sub produces no sound (mixed into the Stereo channels??)

DVD Audio discs I have all seem to produce bass from the sub (IIRC) regardless of wether you select the 5.1 or Stereo mix.....To late to wind up the volume as wife is sleeping!!

Just out of interest, have you set your speakers to small in the amp or dvd players menu? as the 7.1 Ch Input should bypass the speaker settings made in the amp and feed the full freq range to your speakers though I may be wrong.

Hope this helps.

5. StormRider

StormRider
    Standard Member

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +0
    you are right ash,the 7.1ch input will bypass the speaker setting made in the amp.
    here what i did is, i had set all the speakers to small in my dv-6500.as you know,a 2 channel sacd will only produce sound only for FL + FR right? but after i set all the speakers to small in my dv-6500, the low frequency had been cut of from FL & FR, yet theres no signal to the sub....... :(
    until now me still trying here and there,when playing 2 channel sacd the player will not auto set the FL & FR to large, and no signal to the sub as well,it just stay at small and cut off the low frequency.......
    but the strange thing is,when playing normal cd,then it becomes normal,low frequencyto cut off for FL + FR and go to the sub........

hope i confuse you more :)