1. Join Now

AVForums.com uses cookies. By continuing to use this site, you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Learn More.

Marantz DV6400 vs Denon 2200 & 2910

Discussion in 'Blu-ray & DVD Players & Recorders' started by chubbyandy, Dec 27, 2004.

1. chubbyandy

chubbyandy

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +0
    Hi everyone,

Anyone here got a chance to compare video and audio between the Marantz DV6400 and the Denons.

Thinking of the 2200 or the 2910 but reviews of the Marantz have been very good as well. I am very much more interested in the audio performance.

Thanks

2. Ovation

Ovation

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +0
    I bought a DV6400 after comparing it head to head with the Denon 2200 and 2900 (the 2910 wasn't out yet and is the successor to the 2200, not the 2900, by the way--it has DVI/HDMI capability but I believe the audio section is largely untouched from the 2200). The 2200 was pretty good for audio, the 2900 noticeably better and I felt the Marantz to be equal to the 2900 for audio. In reviews, PQ generally gets the nod with Denon over Marantz, but I can't use the prog scan feature, where the differences lie. In standard mode, they seemed indistinguishable to me. In the end, money no object, I would have gone with the 2900, as its bass management/time alignment settings are a bit better than the Marantz, but at almost three times the retail price over the Marantz here in Canada, I couldn't justify the Denon. Even the 2200, which might be the superior video player, but is, IMO, an inferior audio player (to the Marantz--not a bad player in absolute terms), cost more than 1.5x the Marantz in retail price in Canada.

In summary, I'd rank them as follows:
    audio
    Denon 2900
    Marantz 6400 (second only because of bass management issue, otherwise a tie with 2900)
    Denon 2200/2910 (tied because the audio section is said to be identical, though there may be slight improvements in the 2910 vs 2200)

video (prog scan)
    2910 (digital video output)
    2900/2200 (same video section--perhaps a slight nod to 2900 for build quality and layout of internal parts)
    6400 (while it gets decent reviews, it doesn't garner nearly as much praise as the Denons)

video (interlaced)
    2910 (haven't seen it)
    2900/2200/6400 (were indistinguishable to me, but I'm more of an audio guy so I might have missed some subtleties)

Either of the Denons you're considering will give you fine video performance and quite nice audio. If audio is that much more important AND you cannot take advantage of the better video in the Denons, then the Marantz is the winner (it was to me).

Good luck.

3. chubbyandy

chubbyandy

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +0
    Hi Ovation,

Thank you so much for the time and effort spent in writing such a detailed comparison. I really appreciate it.

Happy New Year to you!

4. tulloch2003

tulloch2003

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +15
    @ Chubbyandy what you going for then. I'm thinking of the 2900 or the DV6400 :confused: , what price have you seen these for then.

Happy New Year Tulloch

5. dave741

dave741

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +0
    just a quick sidepoint....as the 2200 is now not made there are some very good deals going ( I got mine for £390 with free van den hul interconnect)

dont know if this will help but happy new year anyway :smashin: