Marantz DV4500

GFS AV

Ex Member
Reaction score
Has anybody experienced the DV4500 yet? Please could you let me know your thoughts on picture, sound, and build quality.

I am struggling to find anything on this unit so far. I was all set to go for the Sony DVP-NS955, but having read a review in the latest what-hifi i'm not too sure now. According to the review, colours can be a bit harsh at times. Then again, I don't entirely trust magazine reviews as they do tend to contradict themselves a hell of a lot. The only opinions i've read on here about the Sony have been great (thanks chaps).

So, it's between the Sony and the Marantz. If anyone has the Marantz, please let me know what you think. Or even better, if anyone has used both machines (I know it's a long shot), let me know which is the better unit.

Cheers

:rolleyes:

Read a review in one of the mags praising the DV4500 - 5/5 for picture, sound, and build, so thought, what the heck just go for it.

I figured if I went for the Sony, I would be paying for SACD which is no use to me. I also managed to get a lot of discount on the Marantz - £150 delivered. The main reason I chose the Marantz is that they're known for their good sound quality, which is one of my main concerns.

I'll let you guys how I get on.

BTW I would still like to hear your opinions, good or bad, on the Marantz... anyone :rolleyes:

GFS AV said:
Read a review in one of the mags praising the DV4500 - 5/5 for picture, sound, and build, so thought, what the heck just go for it.

I figured if I went for the Sony, I would be paying for SACD which is no use to me. I also managed to get a lot of discount on the Marantz - £150 delivered. The main reason I chose the Marantz is that they're known for their good sound quality, which is one of my main concerns.

I'll let you guys how I get on.

BTW I would still like to hear your opinions, good or bad, on the Marantz... anyone :rolleyes:
MY old Marantz 4300 was never a great buy i thought, and the picture only so so .think they make better cd players than dvd players imho. :nono:

Thanks. Hopefully they've come a long way since the 4300.

After trying a Pioneer, NAD, Cambridge Audio, 2 Denons, and a Yamaha, all in the last 2 years, I am fed up of trying to find a 'good' dvd player. I am really hoping the Marantz will be with me till it dies! I won't ramble into too much detail but each of the players has had some sort of problem, whether it's unreliability, hideously long layer change etc. The Pioneer was the worst. Sent it off twice to get repaired for the same fault!

Don't know why it is but I have came to the conclusion that DVD players in general are of a very poor quality compared to AV amps. I have had my amp for ages now, and the build quality is far better than any of the DVD players mentioned.

Anyone else?

GFS AV said:
Thanks. Hopefully they've come a long way since the 4300.

After trying a Pioneer, NAD, Cambridge Audio, 2 Denons, and a Yamaha, all in the last 2 years, I am fed up of trying to find a 'good' dvd player. I am really hoping the Marantz will be with me till it dies! I won't ramble into too much detail but each of the players has had some sort of problem, whether it's unreliability, hideously long layer change etc. The Pioneer was the worst. Sent it off twice to get repaired for the same fault!

Don't know why it is but I have came to the conclusion that DVD players in general are of a very poor quality compared to AV amps. I have had my amp for ages now, and the build quality is far better than any of the DVD players mentioned.

Anyone else?
Limit 900se is one of the best cd players that can also play dvds , better built than the marantz players and tuned by cyrus, twice as heavy plays everything but sacd even dvd audio and is £100 from play .co.uk .half price right now and well known on this forum for its fantastic audio, you dont have to own a phillips/ marants player ,as you say the build quality of marantz and some other dvd players is Cr...p these days like my older 4300 imho. :D

abnett26247 said:
Limit 900se is one of the best cd players that can also play dvds , better built than the marantz players and tuned by cyrus, twice as heavy plays everything but sacd even dvd audio and is £100 from play .co.uk .half price right now and well known on this forum for its fantastic audio, you dont have to own a phillips/ marants player ,as you say the build quality of marantz and some other dvd players is Cr...p these days like my older 4300 imho. :D
I have read MANY complaints about the 900SE in posts, which put me off straight away. IMO it's the ugliest lucking machine ever made too, which does'nt help.

The Marantz on the other hand, has been praised for it's excellent build quality in a current magazine review. This is another reason I went for it. It also says it's as good as other companies' flagship models in terms of picture, sound, and build.

BTW i'm sure I did'nt mention anything to do with Marantz build quality! We're Marantz in my list of poor DVD players??? :confused:

Your first post said that did any one know about the lucking 4500 ,sorry i mentioned that in my opinion the marantz4300 i had was a load of old cr...p and to also mention the 4500 looks the same old cr..p iimho if you post questions you will get answers, so sorry i answered , the limit is better built than the dog ugly marants and plain jane sony , who buys sony stuff these days?its like the marantz dvds cheap looking and overpriced in a lot of peoples and my opinions on these forums,. the limit is very nice build and tuned by a proper hi fi company,not by a brand whose parent company are only famous for making electric toothbrushes ect,or shavers. :devil: :devil: :hiya:

abnett26247 said:
Your first post said that did any one know about the lucking 4500 ,sorry i mentioned that in my opinion the marantz4300 i had was a load of old cr...p and to also mention the 4500 looks the same old cr..p iimho if you post questions you will get answers, so sorry i answered , the limit is better built than the dog ugly marants and plain jane sony , who buys sony stuff these days?its like the marantz dvds cheap looking and overpriced in a lot of peoples and my opinions on these forums,. the limit is very nice build and tuned by a proper hi fi company,not by a brand whose parent company are only famous for making electric toothbrushes ect,or shavers. :devil: :devil: :hiya:
The appearance of the Marantz is something of personal preference, so I did not ask for anyone's opinion of this. If I had the same view as you as to how it looks, I OBVIOUSLY would'nt have chose the unit.

I remember one particular thread where MANY people were complaining that they had received their Limit DVD players and were absolutely disgusted with the finish i.e. scratch surfaces, loose buttons etc not to mention the various technical faults with these revolting looking pieces of scrap metal. If I actually bought a Limit DVD player, I think i'd be worried every time I opened the disc tray incase it fell off.

So, once more, does anybody other than this guy have any opinions on the Marantz DV4500?

abnett26247,

Unless you have anything meaningful, or relevant to add to this thread please refrain from posting. You've made your opinion quite clear - please don't take it upon yourself to tell others what they should, and shouldn't be doing, and please try not to be so agressive in your posts.

To all,

Let's keep things nice shall we? :) I've deleted some posts from this already - i'd rather not have to delete anymore ;)

K.

abnett26247 said:

Unless I'm mistaken, aren't Marantz part of the Denon Group of companies these days ?

Denon and Marantz are owned by D&M Holdings though continue to develop their products independently.

It is incorrect to assume that it's merely a badge and aesthetic difference between the products!

I stumbled upon a "who's who" of the hifi and AV world and it is surprising which companies are group held or owned by.

Mad_darren said:
Denon and Marantz are owned by D&M Holdings though continue to develop their products independently.

It is incorrect to assume that it's merely a badge and aesthetic difference between the products!

I stumbled upon a "who's who" of the hifi and AV world and it is surprising which companies are group held or owned by.
Seven oaks hifi guy told me the marantz and denon are the same now ie marantz is no longer owned by phillips and they do not keep marantz now only to special order so are they similar under the badge now, any one know does any one have a 5400 dvd seems not ? :devil: :hiya:

abnett26247 said:
Seven oaks hifi guy told me the marantz and denon are the same now ie marantz is no longer owned by phillips and they do not keep marantz now only to special order so are they similar under the badge now, any one know does any one have a 5400 dvd seems not ? :devil: :hiya:
Probably because there's no such thing mate... :boring:

I think most players share some components, or even mass produced and badged for various brands.
This is shown in the ability to flash players with other brands firmware.
The difficult task is to find a good player to do what you want today and maybe a week later. As the price drops, so does the overall build quality, but we live in a disposable age.
Good quality can be bought at a price, though it ties you to todays spec. for a sizeable wad.
I have had quite a few players and found shortfalls in them all, the best being the Pioneer 565, even after buying the more expensive 757. Why? because it has a multi disc resume function! Sounds silly but what ever floats your boat!

GFS AV said:
Probably because there's no such thing mate... :boring:
sorry strange no one knows anything about the marantz,sure everyone looking is waiting to see if you jump for the 4500 or something better?whatever that is? there is no limit to the choice out there so many choices and they all play dvd s bet your confused like the rest of us what way to go. :) :) :smashin:

GFS AV said:
Has anybody experienced the DV4500 yet? Please could you let me know your thoughts on picture, sound, and build quality.

I am struggling to find anything on this unit so far. I was all set to go for the Sony DVP-NS955, but having read a review in the latest what-hifi i'm not too sure now. According to the review, colours can be a bit harsh at times. Then again, I don't entirely trust magazine reviews as they do tend to contradict themselves a hell of a lot. The only opinions i've read on here about the Sony have been great (thanks chaps).

So, it's between the Sony and the Marantz. If anyone has the Marantz, please let me know what you think. Or even better, if anyone has used both machines (I know it's a long shot), let me know which is the better unit.

Cheers
ANYONE OUT THERE? THE POOR GUY HAS HAD NO ONE TO ADVISE HIM ON HIS TWO PLAYERS HE THINKS ARE FOR HIM!. :rolleyes: :rolleyes:

abnett26247 said:
ANYONE OUT THERE? THE POOR GUY HAS HAD NO ONE TO ADVISE HIM ON HIS TWO PLAYERS HE THINKS ARE FOR HIM!. :rolleyes: :rolleyes:
As I said in an earlier post, I already decided on the Marantz. I am just wondering if anybody else has tried it and their opinion.

I ordered the unit on Friday - should receive this week. I will let you know how I get on.

Now the personal attacks are over, here are my 2c....

Had a Marantz 4200, good player (except was a bit sensitive to dirty disks etc.); a friend had 4300 and swears by it and it seems it can just about play anything......

Going by this record, I expect nothing but an improved unit in 4500.

But have no direct experience with it....

Ritesh

Ged said:
I have had quite a few players and found shortfalls in them all, the best being the Pioneer 565, even after buying the more expensive 757. Why? because it has a multi disc resume function! Sounds silly but what ever floats your boat!

Do any other DVD-Ps at this price point have a resume function (575, 1710, 1910, 4500)?

The Yamaha S550 has a resume, 5 discs I think, but you have to press play while it is loading the disc, otherwise it plays from the start... not really a resume in my opinion!

The latest video from AVForums

Is 4K Blu-ray Worth It?
Subscribe to our YouTube channel
Back
Top Bottom