1. Join Now

AVForums.com uses cookies. By continuing to use this site, you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Learn More.

Marantz DV4300 vs Sony NS930 ?

Discussion in 'Blu-ray & DVD Players & Recorders' started by Tempest, Nov 7, 2003.

1. Tempest

Tempest

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +1,256
    Been to local hifi store and asked his opinion on a resonably priced but excellent performing DVD player with progressive scan and componant out.

By sheer fluke. He actually ownes a Sony 930 himself and rates it a very good player.

Also he says the new Marantz DV4300 is supposed to be excellent also, offering all I need. He says it's getting some rave reviews, picture quality etc.

progressive scan in Pal, Componant out etc etc etc.,

I've not seen much talk about it on here and was wondering why.
    Is it just cos Sony is the BIG name, hence it gets all the attention, or is the marantz actually nothing special.

BTW: He is not a fan of reading the Internet as he says (which is very true) you will always hear bad things about everthing if you look hard enough...............

I'd appriciate any info on this Marantz player.

2. Quatermass

Quatermass

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +0
    Can't your dealer give you a demo of these and a sony 730 so you can determine if there are any real world differences between them for you?

3. Tempest

Tempest

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +1,256
    Not really.......

Firstly I would find it impossible in a shop for just a few minutes to probably see any difference unless it was in your face.

Second he does not have demo units anyway.

Third, as the shop is going all snobby now, the Only projector they are going to have is a MASSIVE CRT model. way way above most peoples budgets which would probably give a totally different result than I'm trying to see anyway....

Bugger eh ?

he he

Just that in store you never know if a store person is being honest or not....

Myself, I'm getting very close to thinking rather than spend coming onto £300 on a DVD player just for my projector the money may better be spent on a HTPC

With the price of PC's being so low, it may not cost THAT much more and I'd be guarenteed probably the very best picture from my projector going down this route.

4. Quatermass

Quatermass

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +0
    Also, even if they are been honest what they reckon is good picture quality might not accord with what you like.

Maybe you could sell some of those mirrors on ebay to help fund the HTPC :D

5. Tempest

Tempest

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +1,256
    Yeah, well you see the trouble is, I have an in-built mechanism that instantly dismisses anything a shop assistant says.

I much more believe REAL people here on the net. Those who have a lot of experience with something and can give a long term considered view.

Reading many reviews and gatherering a feeling about a product seems to me a much more reliable way of making a wise purchace rather than go down to your local shop and just buying what the salesman says is good. You may be lucky, but who knows.

Anyway, yes, you are right. I'll have to find a good home for my mirrors !!!!

To be honest I may just cover them over with my nice framed posters that WERE on the wall that I'm not going to project onto.

I gues I'm never going to be 100% happy if I keep hearing how HTPC gives the best picture quality.

There is a computer fair on tomorrow (or Sunday - not sure) so I may toddle along and see if I can find a Radeon 9600 (non pro)
    Others have said this card is too hi for a Celeron and a lower one will do.
    Others have said don't get it, get the pro model as the fan is not very loud and the card performs Massively better.

My main objective will be how quiet can I get my current PC.
    get a new graphics card and spend the MINIMUM amount of cash in the process.......... :)

6. Rickyj @ Kalibrate

Rickyj @ Kalibrate
    Well-known Member AVForums Sponsor

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +1,686
    Hi tempest.

Not sure ot the local store you went to, but I was talking to the guys in Trufi (Redhill) last week, and they said they were gonna be setting up a Panasonic 200 projector in one of there demo rooms fairly soon (when the rooms are finished). Not sure which dvd player they are gonna be using for this set up, but know they stock both marantz and Sony.

Not sure if that is any help for you

Ricky

7. Tempest

Tempest

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +1,256
    Hi there.
    Yup, that's the exact shop I went into.
    The guy that served me said they were having a new demo room built upstairs with a MASSIVE screen and a awesome CRT projector. That was the only one they were going to have. Thought it seemed a bit stupid as having ultra expensive or nothing is a bit short sided for a retailer.

To be honest, I don't like Tru-Fi in Redhill at all now.
    I've boughts loads and loads of HiFi gear from TruFi over the years. They used to be a small shop that had excellent prices, and easily matched the type of tottenham court road prices. Stack em hi sell em cheap. Bought Amps, CD Players, TV's loads of stuff....
    They were always packed out with punters buying gear from them, bust busy busy............

Now however something had gone wrong.

The shop is about twice the size.
    They have got about 1/4 the stock in the store.
    The prices have gone right up to full RRP
    You normally see about 2 or 3 people in there, and many times when I have wandered in, I've been the only customer.

Hmmmmmmmmmmmm.............
    Well that's buggered that store.
    Only leaving Capitol Sound and Vision in Crawley now.
    God knows why firms decide to go up market and all snobby like this........... :confused:

8. Rickyj @ Kalibrate

Rickyj @ Kalibrate
    Well-known Member AVForums Sponsor

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +1,686
    Thought it might have been. I was talking to one bloke in there last weekend, and whilst I am not a big fan, they seemed to be offering a better service, especially when he said they were having TWO rooms. one upstairs, and a more reasonable one downstairs, opposite the tvs, with a marantz 5400, Pana 200. Sounds a bit odd, as you were only told about the room upstairs.

Anyway unbeatable is the online arm of capital sound and vision if you are interested, and you can actually pick the goods up from the warehouse in Crawley, as Capital sound and vision never seem to have much of a selection either.

Personally, I often travel to Epsom or even Kingston to get demos, ie Audio-T, and Sevenoaks hifi, and I even got Audio-T to price match on a set of kef eggs. I have now got myself a Barclaycard just for the price match function, as there are just no reasonable shops around.

You might also want to bring the Toshiba 530 into the equation as I have got the 520, and whilst I have never used the progressive scan, I am impressed with the player otherwise, and looks like it could be another reasonable price.

It is a shame that there are no decent multi manafacturer shops around, they only stock a few brands and charge the earth for those. Good luck in your search of information.

Ricky

9. Tempest

Tempest

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +1,256
    Cheers for the info yumyum....

Yes I knew about capitol sound and vision (used to be capitol camera's years ago) and knew unbeatable was their online version but never knew you could pick up the goods from the warehouse. That's excellent. Where is the warehouse in crawley ?

Tru Fi bloke never told me about the more budget room.

To be honest I've yet to be impressed with a CRT projector.
    My mate has had two. His latest one being an ellie (or something sounding like that) for about 3K ish.

Supposed to have excellent reviews, he had it all setup by the shops, but the picture looks so soft as to be rubbish. It's just got no kick in it at all. Colours not great either.
    His last CRT was the same to.

He's also had the glass lenses fitted, but to be honest I think he should have gone for a nice LCD or DLP for the price.

But that's just me..... He's happy which is all that matters.