1. Join Now

AVForums.com uses cookies. By continuing to use this site, you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Learn More.

Marantz DV4300 Composite problem

Discussion in 'Blu-ray & DVD Players & Recorders' started by Scoob, May 25, 2005.

1. Scoob

Scoob
    Standard Member

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +1
    I have a Marantz DV4300 DVD player hooked up to my Samsung SP50 DLP TV.
    If I connect the two using a component feed, I get distortion at the top of the screen (a glitching effect, bit like the old bendy-head syndrome you used to get when the tracking was out on a video, is approx 3cm deep). This happens if I have progressive scan on or off and with all the DVDs I've tried so far. I am using a Belden 7710A reference component cable, made by Mark Grant so good quality.
    If I connect the two using an RGB scart lead the picture shows none of the glitching problem.
    Is this a known problem with the DV4300?

Any thoughts/feedback/advice more than welcome.
    Cheers :)

2. Scoob

Scoob
    Standard Member

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +1
    OK, a slight update, I've ruled out the cable as being the problem, alas I don't have another device that outputs component signals to test the input on the TV.
    Can anyone help, have you experienced something similar? Do you live in the Northants/Leics border area and have a machine you could bring over for half an hour to try out (in exchange for some beer tokens naturally)?

3. Scoob

Scoob
    Standard Member

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +1
    Unwhelmed by the response ;)

Seriously, anyone have any ideas or solutions?

4. hornydragon

hornydragon

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Somewhere near the M4 most of the time......
    Ratings:
    +1,215
    the DV4300 is an odd machine, it has a couple of oddities, does this happen with PAL and NTSC discs? the MArantz only does NTSC progscan, so try setting the machine to PAL instead of NTSC or PAL 60. I am sure there is someone out there with a DVD they could bring round.

5. Scoob

Scoob
    Standard Member

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +1
    What's the point in selling a DVD player in this country that only supports NTSC progscan? And then making a big deal about it being progscan too? Grrrr.

I've read of a few places that claim that the DV4300 is capable of PAL progressive scan with some sort of firmware upgrade, anyone know anything about this?

I guess if I can't get the player upgraded somehow then I'll bin it. Actually, I'll go round to Marantz UK headquarters and stuff it up their .......

Shame as the picture is otherwise excellent.

6. Geezer

Geezer

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +25
    Because at the time of the DV4300 release nearly all DVD players only did NTSC progressive. That was one of the reasons for the surge in people buying R1 discs.

Pal progressive is still fairly new.