Marantz DV4300 and Toshiba SD530

D

david park

Visited RicherSounds today with a view to buying one of these with multi region and Progressive scan NTCS and PAL.

They think that niether do PS PAL, are they correct?

If I take one is it easy to know if PS Pal is available on it, when I plug it in?

Tempted to go for the Marantz as I may well buy it with the Marantz AV reciever SR4400, if I do this will either come with the digital audio lead?

The Marantz only does NTSC Prog scan. The SD530, which I have, does both. I may be taking the SD530 back though, as I don't think it's really worth the money. I bought it from RS. The unit, as far as I am aware is the same as the SD4900 in the USA. Inside, it has the MT1379EEC with the MT1336E chipset. The board inside is the DVD7000 MTK, which is used in most Sampo and Amoisonic units. I hope this helps. :p

If anyone knows of another player that uses the DVD7000 MTK board, it would be nice to know.

Originally posted by wackyraces
The Marantz only does NTSC Prog scan. ........ I hope this helps.

Well yes and no.
Since posting I've looked at the Marantz web site and that says the DV4300 does both NTSC and PAL P'scan.

So I'm now confused even more.

I thought that was the case, so I phoned Marantz UK and spoke to Neil (again), who informed me that it only does NTSC prog scan. The DV4300 , was the player I was originally going to buy but that put me off and the fact that it didn't do DVD-Audio.

I had a Toshiba 530 but took it back as progressive scan was dreadful. I now have a Cambridge Audio 540 which is much better than the tosh in terms of picture quality and build. I would recommend you try it out.

I'm gonna throw a spanner in the works here...I brought a Marantz DV4300 yesterday, played a Pal disc, and as clear as day, in the menu on my Sony PJ were the numbers "575/50p"...or in laymans terms, Pla progressive scan, out of the box, no tweaking done. You have to set the TV system to "multi" for this to work I believe.

However, I believe the de-interlacer in the player is pretty pants TBH. I played chapter 18 of Spider Man (R1 - where the Green Goblin flies into the carnival and kills everyone from Oscorps), there's a skyscraper just to the left as he flies in, and there's more jaggies than a broken glass factory...I've been into the service menu and changed from video to film and vice versa, still dosen't get rid of the jaggies. Pity though, as the picture is nice and bright. Also noticed some jerking on panning on r1 discs...all this from a 10 minute test view. Finding Nemo looked pretty good - but then it would, which is why RS have itplaying in every shop...

Will probably be going back to RS tonight.

So long as the Cambridge 540D is correctly outputting a PAL PS image (early ones had a small bug that locked them in NTSC) it provides a good picture. I'm using one connected by scart domestically but have seen it in PS and the image is good. You also get DVD-A (whoohoo!) and reasonable CD replay. Also after some of the comments about the 50 series chassis, the 540D is much better screwed together as well- a better standard of finish than my AX3 in fact.

The Marantz DV4300 does do PAL progressive , BUT it is clocked to 60hz.I did the same and bought one of these and thought it was no better than my Tosh SD210e, I took it back and tried the SD530, and that seemed just the same , in other words very disappionted with both.That's when I decided to push the boat out a little bit more and got an HK 2550s.The picture quality was a lot better and also the audio is a notch up on the DVD side.CD wise the HK is a lot better than the Marantz and the Toshiba.
If I can find the link to a review to the DV4300 where it says about the progressive being clocked to 60hz, I will post it later.
I hope this helps a little.

Andy

i just took the Marantz back to RS but tried something before I did. If you set the TV system to Pal, it will output ALL progressive signals at 576/50p...including R1 NTSC discs. Doing this semi-cleared up the mess with chapter 18 of Spiderman, but there was a LOT of judder - on pal and NTSC discs.
The trouble is, I changed it for a Tosh 530...:(
I have read that Toshiba changed the chipset inside after the first batch...can't remember where though. here's hoping I got a V2 if they did.
I brought the marantz blind but got a demo of the Tosh and a Cambridge Audio 57 - the Tosh was the best of 3 (including the Marantz...) on their set up. We'll see a little when I add another 40 inches to the 42 inch demo I got in store...

The latest video from AVForums

Is 4K Blu-ray Worth It?
Subscribe to our YouTube channel
Back
Top Bottom