Marantz DV4100OSE opinions

Discussion in 'Blu-ray & DVD Players & Recorders' started by Rathion, Dec 19, 2001.

1. Rathion

Rathion
    Standard Member

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +0
    Quite fancy one of these Marantz DV4100OSE I see it gets 5 stars in What HI-FI awards wondered if anyone has one or knows anything about them?

How does this player compare to a Toshiba sd210? (my other choice)

Ta

2. swarrans

swarrans
    Standard Member

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +0
    I'm interested in the Marantz as well and went to listen to the CD performance back to back with the Tosh SD210 at my local store. I thought the Tosh looked a bit cheap and cheerful (depite what the mags said) and the store wouldn't let me do a direct back to back switching between the 2 players (using the 2 same CDs I had brought with me) - but insisted on unplugging one and plugged in the other between listening sessions. Maybe I'm not an audiophile, but without that instant switching capability I honestly can't say that I could tell much difference in the sound quality!
    I did just an audio trial on the basis that I assume that the actual picture performance of both these 2 players is so good that I definitely won't be able to tell the difference!
    Personally I've decided against the Tosh - mainly on looks and that I want RGB scart loopthrough capability. Now I'm trying to decide betweent he Marantz and the Sony NS900 (although seeing the horror stories on the other thread I may think again!).
    I think like a lot of us I'm plagued with the "upgrade fever" - will any of these DVD players be THAT MUCH better than my current Samsung 807?!
    Finally (at last you say!) I always find it disconcerting that the AV mags seem to have such different views about some machines _ ie What Hi-Fi LOVED the Marantz but Home CInema Choice were so-so....

Simon

3. t-force

t-force

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +150
    Speaking as a 4100 (not OSE, but I'm not sure what the difference is, to be honest), I can say that it's a cracking player for the money, both in terms of audio and video. It also has an RGB loopthrough, which is very useful. I highly recommend it. The only possible problem that I have with it is that loading times are a tad on the slow side, but that's just me being pernickety.

4. RATMARK

RATMARK

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +0
    Got the ose model.fantastic picture and surround sound,but it does score when playing music,i replaced an old Arcam 5 cd player as well as my old Wharfdale dvd ,and it knocks spots of both of them,so if you got the cash id recommend it.Remotes not the best in the world !

5. Rathion

Rathion
    Standard Member

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +0
    You're too late!!!!!!!!!

I ordered one already! :)

Haven't got it yet but waiting impatiently!

I nearly died when I got e-mail notification of this thread after so long I was in a real panic that you were gonna say something bad about it!

No worries though thanks for your thoughts

6. pointon

pointon

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +3
    At the moment the DV41000OSE would be my player of choice if I were to decide to replace my current DVD player. Through a couple of sneaky contacts I have the opportunity to briefly try out many different models of DVD and CD players (I keep trying to blag other things but to no avail). Marantz are by a long way my favourite. I got myself the Marantz CD6000OSE CD player after testing it out for a bit, and after trying the DV41000OSE it moved up to my first choice. Great picture, great sound, and as good a CD player as many better dedicated CD players. If you're looking at this price range, it is definetely recommended, by myself at least. Good choice.